I must admit it's starting to grate....

I mean my lack of ability to stop a slide or tank slapper and end up pointing the wrong way down the track, even when I only have 10 ltrs of fuel.
Surely the physics must be wrong somewhere along the way when going onto a kerb or astro strip at 20/30kmh sends you into a spin or slide and you cannot do anything about it, either power out or lifting off has absolutely no effect, you are just a passenger, then the pathetic penalty system kicks in giving multiple penalties for the same 'mistake' while you are trying to get back on the black stuff..

Don't get me wrong I love the game and have over 200hrs so far, but this simple (and basic) part is starting to really pi$$ me off :mad::mad::mad:

Correcting a slide in AC feels almost perfect to me, compared to say iRacing where you if you lose traction at all, you are almost certainly going for a spin.

It's funny how feel varies from driver to driver. I also think that correcting slides in AC feels natural, and have always complained about a lack of feel in iRacing, but there are sim racers out there who claim just the opposite.

It's funny how feel varies from driver to driver. I also think that correcting slides in AC feels natural, and have always complained about a lack of feel in iRacing, but there are sim racers out there who claim just the opposite.

There are a few cars in iRacing that are better than others to me in regards to feedback. I think the Radical gives good feedback and I can usually correct slides to a degree, but then there's cars like the Ford Falcon V8 or the RUF C-Spec and it seems like if I lose grip in those, I'm certainly going for a wild ride.

• Deleted member 151827

I noticed if you stab the brakes real hard when the slide starts on most of the cars it will correct it. The Lotis Exige on the other hand is a whole other story.

This "tankslapper" problem is the one thing that makes me close down AC after a couple of laps or so, ive spent some time fiddling with the settings slider but I just cant get it dialled out, I hope its not that lack of skill issue I read about in a previous post.....

Gary , I reply to your post in particular because I think it brings a good point, but my post is general to all that has been discuss in this thread, not just you.
In my experience 2 factors are very important in the way we feel and react to a particular car.
First is the FFB and how strong it is adjusted, in most case a stronger FFB might feel more immersive but will interfere with how well we can react, particularely reacting to a slide.
Secound is the FOV, a wider field of view tend to make curve, and more particularely their radius appear more benign that they actually are, the car reacts to the actual radius as designed in the SIM not what the FOV value might make it appear to be, Anyone with the issue described in the OP might want to try to drive with a narrower FOV and see how that goes.
All that said entering the curves a the proper speed, without upsetting the balance of the car, accelerating as soon as possible but maybe in a more progressive manner will also help tremendously

This "tankslapper" problem is the one thing that makes me close down AC after a couple of laps or so, ive spent some time fiddling with the settings slider but I just cant get it dialled out, I hope its not that lack of skill issue I read about in a previous post.....

I start to wonder what causes people not being able to correct oversteer most of the times.
I rarely get tankslappers and when i do, its my fault.

On another note, i am using triple screens, so my fov is low, i also put the driver seat almost all the way front.
Maybe this helps me realize when i should start straightening out the car... hmmmmmmmmmmm (like some guy used to post in the older days:D )

This is inline with what @Cote Dazur posted above.

Last edited:
I think the topic of FOV brings up an interesting question: what will happen when the consumer version of Oculus Rift finally hits the market? In theory, one of these headsets should give you perfect FOV, with such a wide field that you'll be able to look through corners in the sim the same way you could on a real race track. I'm really curious as to what kind of effect the Oculus will have on lap times.

I've got to say, I find it really easy and natural to correct slides in AC - I can even powerslide the F40 Chris Harris style. The only exception is the 12C, I can correct slides but once it gets beyond a certain point, you're going round. When the diff locks itself again and you find grip, you have to be prepared for it.

When I first started AC though, this was not the case. It's taken a lot of practice to get used to it (I rarely used my wheel before AC early access), but I'm now completely comfortable with it. Using G27 with recommended developer settings, no adjustments.

For some reason the F40 is all but impossible for me to drive with semi-slick tires yet I have no problem making laps using the other two compounds. Later tonight or tomorrow I could make a video of me driving it as fast as I can but it would be using the modern street tires so my lap would be a couple seconds slower that what ya'll are running.

Latest News

Back