I miss the old Hockenheim

Yeah, don't talk about Monaco, the best F1 track of them all, along with Monza, Spa, Suzuka, etc.

The track itself is awful for racing. No overtaking - it's so bad that you can't even use DRS there.

So, I respectfully disagree. It's an amazing track to drive, but not good for the spectacle of racing.

Made a few configurations of my own for the lulz :D
hockenheimftl2.jpg

hockenheim1999ftl.jpg

hockenheim was a victim of modern F1. monza and old hockenheim were the last of the long distance power circuits. modern F1 under the guise of TV, sponsors and bernie demand shorter twistier circuits that are smaller and lack a soul.

the use of chicanes does not only hold a safety or speed trap purpose anymore, but allow the car to be seen by TV cameras on all angles.. and the sponsor get's their billboard.

im not nostalgic about all old tracks, but i just simply HATE tilke tracks. they have no soul.

they blatantly tore up the old hockenheim track sadly so it cannot be ever used again. very sad indeed.

The parts you guys miss from the old one was straight-chicane-straight-chicane-straight-chicane... that's very Tilke to be honest :D

there's a lot more difference than that. tilke predominantly uses flat plain boring surfaces, adds unnatural and ridiculous chicane angles creating a plastic, soul-less track. all tilke tracks are built on (mostly) near flat surfaces, and the entire track is artificial. in india the hills was added artificially. turkey is an exception of tilke's and is probably the better one to race on.

old race tracks, and old hockenheim used the contours, undulations and curves of the terrain. sure they might dig out some of the terrain, but IMO the older tracks use the natural terrain more than these newer ones... and the track layouts are better in the pre-tilke world.

tilke couldnt design suzuka or nurburgring. it's not his style.

I don't remember the official number, but it wasn't that many, and it was a boring race to watch.

42 overtakes in 2011. More than Silverstone, Melbourne, Interlagos, India and Monaco.

Over four years there has been 15.3 overtakes on average, most because of 2011, there was 4 in 08, 0(!) in 09, and 15 in 2010.

The four last dry races (excluding 2000, including 97) on Hockenheim had 16, 8, 14 and 11 overtakes. That is 12.25 on average. But as I said, the last year at Valencia is unusual large, so, taking the three non DRS-races and the three last hockenheim-races we get an average of 6,3 overtakes at Valencia, and 11 at Hockenheim. Not that huge difference really.

there's a lot more difference than that. tilke predominantly uses flat plain boring surfaces, adds unnatural and ridiculous chicane angles creating a plastic, soul-less track. all tilke tracks are built on (mostly) near flat surfaces, and the entire track is artificial. in india the hills was added artificially. turkey is an exception of tilke's and is probably the better one to race on.

old race tracks, and old hockenheim used the contours, undulations and curves of the terrain. sure they might dig out some of the terrain, but IMO the older tracks use the natural terrain more than these newer ones... and the track layouts are better in the pre-tilke world.

tilke couldnt design suzuka or nurburgring. it's not his style.

Tilke would not be allowed to design Suzuka or Nords because they would not even pass the regs of today.

There´s really nothing special of the old Hockenheim, it was a straight built right into the forrest basically.

Yea and Monza lives on it´s history mostly. But as far as driving pleasure it´s not the most exciting track.
Especially in an F1 car where you hit the limiter halfway on the straight.

I think Korea is an awesome track really, it has long straights, it has that city feeling meaning it´s tight and you really need that mechanical grip in those parts and it has some high speed corners.
It´s a challenge for teams because you have to in a way sacrifice one sector in order to optimize the other two.

I guess the pit entry is one of the worst though.

I must say, old Hockenheim today would be boring for the drivers...

Let's face it, before it was 350kph +

Now, with DRS, KERS and draft it's barely 330kph... And it's the fastest one, the slowest being barely 315-320kph.

another fundamental fact is that they make F1 cars to go around the tracks as fast as possible. if we had 10 tracks like monza and old hockenheim, the cars would be completely different to what they are now. the teams have made the present cars to be able to handle the modern f1 calendar.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back