I have an idea for a project and need a little help please

I am working on a number of things at the moment but I would like to ask for a little help on something.

Does anyone know where I would go for a motor that can pull a metal cable?

Without giving too much away of what I am working on.
I am wanting a small motor to pull a cable reasonably fast then allow it to be pulled back without locking.
It would have to be strong enough to pull a weight of max 30Kg.

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbsup:

Its a bit of a crazy idea but...

I have been looking at all these motion sims people have, an to be honest, they dont appeal to me or look a bit too rigid in there movement.

So I was thinking about the TrackIR setup, which again to be honest doesnt appeal to me (as I dont want to move my head just to keep on having to look forward, it doesnt look natural)

So I left myself in a bit of a dilemma....
Three screen setup (too costly and heavey on power consumption)
Motion rig (too bulky and I have a bad back that could become worse with the movement)
Head Tracking with one screen (dont like the idea of moving my head and having to keep my eyes forward)

I finaly thought of an idea that may be cool and better then three screen setup.

Have a projector and a light weight boxed screen fixed on a wire ring system that turns the screen in the direction of the TrackIR system IE...

When you move your head to look left the light weight screen moves to the left and follows the direction that you are looking in.
The idea is to make the screen move with the motion of the head.

What do you think ?
:thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Upvote 0
Yeah its quite a crazy idea :) i think its possible to build, but im not sure if the reaction is fast enough (recognizing where u are lucking at, data to the motors, movement of the screen) and u have to move ur head quite a lot! And, how much do u want to make the screen travel? Cause i think 180° are quite a task to achive (considering cables, rig etc)
I use triplescreen and also have trackir and i have to say that u realy dont need more (expect of a motionsim) to achive quite an immersive feeling

cheers Erik

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree

I dont think it would need to move any further then 15° - 25° or maybe in cable length 2-4 foot each way.

hmm
I guess it would be cheaper and easier to just go to the sony Head gear and trackIR :O_o:
:sleep: never mind :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
TrackIR with triple screens makes the head turning thing a lot more comfortable. With that kind of a setup you turn your head towards an outer screen and the view angle changes to give you a full on side shot in that side monitor. When you turn your head back to the center screen you are back to looking straight ahead.

The added advantage of the head tracking system is that you can have your view to where you barely see the top of the wheel and when you look down a little you can see the motec display that is in the wheel. Very cool stuff :)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great plan in theory but not sure you will find so responsive engines or make it work as you want, if there´s anyone that should try though it seems that person is you :)

Me personally, i´d go with three screens. Can´t beat that any day of the week unless you run 5 screens or HD projectors.

As i´ve said before, instead of looking at the game you are instead "in" the game more.
Probably more immersion then just more visibility.

Upvote 0
:O_o:
Its a good job I dont have a workshop like some of you guys.
I would never be out of the place.

I know the three screens is probably what I will end up with, but it means waiting till I can get them all at the same time, (dont want to buy them one at a time)
Knowing my luck I will end up with three different tones or contrasts.

Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.1%