I hate FRAPS

Can someone PLEASE suggest me a different program and possibly post a link for something better than Fraps? I need to post a ten lap race later and i noticed that when using Fraps, one lap take @ 1.5GB of data. That is ridiculous! that is 15GB total, i can't upload that to Youtube so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think any recording program of this kind will use a lot of space like this, but what I do for my videos is compressing them with an editor like Windows Movie Maker, and that shrink the size a lot :)

I'd like to just add quickly that the video files Fraps produces are that big because there's a massive amount of data required for videos. It's not a shortcoming of the software.

Video compression is a long and slow process. You'll find that if you encode a video using DivX, or Xvid, or something along those lines, it will take far longer than it took to record. So instead, Fraps uses a very simple form of compression. It's fast, it's lossless, and although it doesn't produce results which are practical for a final product, it's still smaller than raw uncompressed video, without having too dramatic an impact on game performance.

There's nothing stopping you from compressing the videos Fraps produces further. In fact, that's what I'd reccomend doing anyway.

Well guys i misunderstood how Fraps works. I realized that as it is recording more, the file size automatically starts to compress itself (only @ 3.5GB total, not 15GB. Then i transfered video to Windows Movie Maker and it reduced file size to 430MB( Perfect! ) all worked out well. thank you guys for your help and advise.

I recommend playclaw....I use it as it doesn't hit the FPS too hard and it has some pretty sweet overlays to monitor your system if you are into that. www.playclaw.com Search the forums and download the latest beta. The trial version gets you unlimited record time with a watermark. But it's a free way to try it out. I purchased playclaw and uninstalled FRAPS.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 317 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%