I had to laugh...

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
Yesterday...I was watching the Goodwood live stream and when one of the cars left the track onto the grass, the commentator said the guy had 'gone farming'...its not an expression I have heard before and it made me chuckle :).
Also...why does such a great event only get internet coverage...I turned on the tv and it was the same old boring rugby...

Seems to be some old and established expression, at least amongst the Britons. I first heard it when watching footage of 1973 British GP I believe and when Jackie Stewart went off while attacking one of the Lotus cars (Peterson?), the commentator remarked something along the lines of "Now he's really in the agricultural business!" :D.

Also...why does such a great event only get internet coverage...I turned on the tv and it was the same old boring rugby...
That's the good part, really! Not everybody interested in such events lives in the UK... ;-)
The only chance I have to watch the motorsport events I am interested in is internet streaming: Blancpain GT, 24h Series, LeMans, etc...
And the Goodwood stream quality was really superb, same as last year. Plus dreaded commercials are kept to a minimum. What's not to like?

Reminds me of when I went karting at Glan-y-Gors a couple of weeks ago - one kart went for quite an excursion and the trail he left behind made it look as if he was driving a lawnmower! :laugh:

Last edited:
That's the good part, really! Not everybody interested in such events lives in the UK... ;-)
The only chance I have to watch the motorsport events I am interested in is internet streaming: Blancpain GT, 24h Series, LeMans, etc...
And the Goodwood stream quality was really superb, same as last year. Plus dreaded commercials are kept to a minimum. What's not to like?

Yeah in a way I'm pretty happy as it is at the moment. The streams show everything, very little in the way of adverts as mentioned.

They do sometimes show highlights on TV but it's normally cut right back. Usually two days of footage is cut back to 45 minutes.

Much prefer the all day stream then I can listen on the laptop whilst working at home and pick races to watch. Problem is a lot of them were really good!

I suppose the farming expression is even more appropriate at Goodwood as they have farming equipment in the middle of the circuit during the revival meeting....:)

The Internet in the last few years has really helped with events like these. Bathurst 12 Hours for example gets next to no coverage in Europe so YouTube comes to the rescue for that one as well. I don't get chance to catch all the Indycar races but enjoy the "as live" coverage they put up now after a day or two.

I'm afraid in the UK the only thing that draws viewers is F1 and possibly BTCC. That's pretty much it so the other series have a really hard time getting agreements to show on satellite or terrestrial TV.

Will be interesting to see what Liberty Media do with F1.

I think Motor's TV feature some events like Goodwood not live coverage but decent highlights of the major events at the meeting.

To be honest a decent internet connection and a couple of cables and it's hard to tell the difference between streamed TV (or internet) and main stream I watched both the Aussie Supercars at Adelaide and The Indy at St Pete's on the TV but it was streamed from my PC.

It is shame that most motorsport is relegated to either pay TV or the internet. I used to love watching the Rally Cross on ITV on a Saturday afternoon.

It seems money is the only motivator (may be it always was) as to what defines popular sport which is why the vast majority is on pay TV and the free to air (well that's a joke since the TV licence in UK is compulsory) presumably advertisers want large audiences so that is why sports like International Rugby, Football, Athletics and Cycling are prime TV and apart from F1 highlights if you are lucky that's pretty much it for motorsport without paying for it.

I can only speak for UK but don't imagine it's vastly different in the US and other parts of Europe and the rest of the world unless some where gets a far better deal than the rest of us?

Yeah, it's odd but I used to watch Motors TV almost all the time but in recent years their programs have changed into motorsports that don't really appeal to me as much. I think the last time I watched it was a few years ago!

I used catch the Super GT races on there but not sure if those are still shown? Again I know they are shown on YouTube in some form or other.

Some of the motorsport I enjoy has been "split up" across different channels. I used to enjoy DTM occasionally but BT Sport managed to grab that one. Same with Indycar. I tend to watch the WEC via the app on the iPad (plugged in via the HDMI adaptor) as the quality is just as good. Same with Blancpain as well.

I will admit that if it stops a family argument over the SKY remote I'll happily watch the races via YouTube or a website instead :):laugh:

I've just recently treated myself to a LG TV and I managed to watch Sebring via the IMSA website using the TV and also enjoyed the Indycar and Goodwood races via the YouTube app. Full screen, HD quality, and good coverage. What's not to like?

Purely from a budget point of view it is good though that these series get exposure, it must make things slightly easier for team and drivers to get sponsorship. That's why deals on ITV4 for the BTCC weekends are nice to see. If you were trying to land a sponsor in a smaller category (Ginetta Cup for example), letting them know that there's TV coverage is a good plus point for them.

Lol there is nothing boring about rugby I will say that.

That event was nearly 90 pounds to spectate at, it is hideously expensive.

Not sure how you can get away with streaming on here, but I think most of the events you stream are available free anyway!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 94 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 46 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 14.0%