I can understand the AI had a bad day, but why does it take it out on me???

Óscar Melero

Foxtochop
First of all, I've got to say that I'm spanish and my level of english is actually good but I might fail on some words or expressions. Also, I'm kind of a rookie in racing sims so don't take me too seriously because I might say something stupid. If so, pls tell me what's wrong with me and how to do it right. Now, my thoughts:

I was looking forward all day to race this afternoon against the AI at RedBull Ring, but things went like nightmare (again) on the first, second, third, fourth... (etc) turns. I start on the right side of the grid, so I keep right till I reach half-first lap and trying at my BEST not to crash or, if I can, touch any car. The thing is: it's actually impossible for me to do that. I keep watching videos, gameplays to hopefully see (I do not) what I'm doing wrong and how to do it right. AI keeps wrecking me out at any turn so many times that I finally thought that the poor guys just had a bad day and try to overtake me by brute force.

I did NOT set it at Adaptative and I did NOT set it at 120. It's at 100 and, not best driver in freaking world but I do actually well at practice like most of you guys.

I KNOW I'm doing something wrong. What. Why. How can I do to race the most pacefully posible? Thx for reading.

PD: I'm not, I repeat: not, blaming S3 guys, they just did a really good game and I can understand it's in beta state, but i do not understand what I'm doing wrong.

Hello Foxtochop,

As a general hint try to race at the beginning with a reduced grid-size.

On the Red-Bull-Ring, you have to take special care of the second corner, the AI tends to acclerate into you if you are to slow. Since i am taking another line in the second corner (which is also faster) i am almost never rammed there.
Thx man! I'll try to keep another line and not to touch them. S3 could improve it just a little more.

Coming back to this topic...

For me at the moment there are quite a few similarities between current R3E AI and Assetto Corsa's AI from a few months back. Namely AI awareness and collisions.

At the moment the AI doesn't seem to mind rubbing paint and even rear ending you, even when there would be room to avoid collision. And if you collide with the AI from some angles it seems like the AI is driving a much heavier vehicle so that the player car bounces off unnaturally. AC had both symptoms, but AI situational awareness was introduced eventually (to the point that the AI backs off and gives too much racing room sometimes) and AI cars now weigh the same as player cars so collisions behave as you would expect (I think heavier AI cars were a temporary fudge in AC while other problems were being corrected).

i'm assuming that AI is very much a work in progress, but it would be nice to get some information on the plans for AI going forward. It's not easy to enjoy racing the AI right now because if I set them fast enough to be a challenge the chance of getting through a full race without being shunted from behind is very small....

If they make any changes to the AI I hope its minimal. I run the AI @ 112% strength & they are wonderful to race with. I have ran quite a few races on DTM 2014 & I haven't had the AI take me out once when it wasn't my own fault. The couple times I spun from AI contact was due to me cutting them off when they were trying to outbrake me. Yes, we have traded paint several times but it was just close hard racing. I love the fact they don't back down when your side by side or bumper to bumper. In other sims the AI will race each other pretty well but when the player car enters the picture they just lay over. Not the case here! I do wish the AI would avoid accidents a little better. When someone gets turned they slam on their "super brakes" & just stop until the track is clear.

I agree with @Aaron Markham. By the way, AAI to me is the way to go. It's a bit harsh sometimes but it's tolerable level of aggression (of course this is purely subjective). Some tough close quarter fight definitely gives me the right amount of adrenaline to claw my fingers in my poor G27... and plenty of endorphin once race is over :D

Hello All,
I'm pretty new to this type of racing. And, I've got a question on this AI and how you turn it down. I've looked & looked and I can't find where you do this. I don't see anything that says AI or anything about them to turn them down.:( I sure would appreciate a little help on this, because the AI is Killing me:mad: in my race's. Thanks, in advance for ANY replies.;)

I guess I'm missing something. I've been all over the settings and I have not found anything on this yet. Honest I haven't seen anything in RaceRoom 2013 at all?????? Like I said, I'm new to this sim and maybe just have not went into the correct area to find it (and that has to be) I'll keep looking. Thank you for your reply Peter.

When you setup a single race, on the left menu column, one of the first option is AI strength. By Default it's "Adaptative AI", and it's recommanded to let this settings, but you can choose the value you want (...->80->100->120->..)

I guess I'm missing something. I've been all over the settings and I have not found anything on this yet. Honest I haven't seen anything in RaceRoom 2013 at all?????? Like I said, I'm new to this sim and maybe just have not went into the correct area to find it (and that has to be) I'll keep looking. Thank you for your reply Peter.
2014-10-31%2B1135%2B0001.jpg

Thanks Peter. I'll go back and try to find this page you are showing. I've never seen a page like this one. All I've seen are in "Green" and quite different looking.....I will keep Exploring this Thanks so much, Peter for all you have done to help me:thumbsup:
Also, Thanks to you, Le_Poilu for you're help too.

Thanks Peter. I'll go back and try to find this page you are showing. I've never seen a page like this one. All I've seen are in "Green" and quite different looking.....I will keep Exploring this Thanks so much, Peter for all you have done to help me:thumbsup:

Are you sure you have the same race sim? :)

White
2015-01-06%2B1750%2B0001.jpg

Yellow
2015-01-06%2B1751%2B0002.jpg

Green = home page of RaceRoom
Blue = DTM experience
White/Yellow = ADAC experience
White/red = Raceroom experience

On 3 experiences the menu is the almost same while you're in the "solo race" page.

AI setup is not a general game settings, it's a race session setting. You can only change it on the race setup menu.

OK I finally found what is/WAS wrong and I see you was trying to help me some more too. Yeah, I was in the Practice MODE, dumb me. huh? Thanks to ALL and Peter &
Le_Poilu who helped me so Much....Thanks again. Oh, I got the AI turned down, enough that they don't hit me at every corner and in the straights also.

must admit ive done nothing recently but praised the AI, however I just finished a very frustrating 20 odd restarts at Moscow. The AI on the first lap are animals there. ADAC14

THEY NEED TO LEARN NOT TO KEEP PUSHING YOU ONCE THEY MAKE CONTACT THEY NEED TO BACK OFF!!. especially when attacked from behind,

Sometimes there are bad days at the office, I guess

I had a weird incident at Moscow on the big straight, I came up on the inside, faster, and as I got level it was like the AI wanted to take my line and started to side bash me. It it did it like 4-5 times before I spun out. Pretty amusing, but I was annoyed. I wasn't sure if they decided to take rubbing is racing to a new level or not.

I just think possibly having less of a chance of a total spin out might help the contact?

Still overall, the AI is great. imo.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 257 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.4%
  • < 5 years