1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC HTC Vive vs Oculus Rift on assetto?

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Tommi Ylén, Nov 27, 2016 at 10:32.

1. Oculus Rift is officially supported, this we know. But how good does the HTC Vive work with unofficial support? I'm trying to find out if HTC Vive is worth it, and does it really work with the game.
    HTC is currently 799euros and free shipping, for today only (black friday sale). Oculus rift is 740euros. Which one should I get, or should I get anything at all? I would most likely play Assetto for 90% of time.
    I've never experienced VR glasses yet. So far I have played through 4k 58" screen. I know the graphics get a lot more blurred with VR glasses, but the immersion is what I'm after. I would still like to know if there is any difference between HTC and Oculus graphics quality, crispness or what you like to call it.
    Both are pretty much at same price at the moment, and HTC Vive has a little wider range of use, with the whole walk around thing etc. Hard to choose.

Free opinions on both, and if someone has experienced both, please help me choose! Thanks a lot!

2. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

Or wait for MS VR.. Not sure about the specs but half the price and much lower hw requirements seems to be promising.. More info should be next month

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur
    AC Addict

I have a rift, not even a CV1, just aDK2 since August and all I have to say is I wish I had started sooner.
    VR is just a different experience, both will do a fine job, minor differences but overall you will get the VR world accessible. If 90% driving in AC Rift might be a better choice as the main advantage of Vive is the touch accessory that you cannot use when driving a SIM.
    Flat screen playing even at a zillion K resolution is just a game, VR for driving a SIM is as important as wheels versus controller, you will never look back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. As you are the second person saying the exact same I'll believe this :thumbsup: I might go with vive, I'm very interested about the hand held controllers too and the whole walk around thing. I just hope it works well with assetto too.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've tried both and I've gone with the oculus. Vive is cool but the only reason I got VR is to race so I don't really care about the controllers and room scale tracking. The Oculus is a lot more comfortable and lighter than the Vive. I've used the CV1 for over 3 hours at a time and no discomfort whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

I've recently got the Rift and echo comments above, its just simply a different world with VR. I simply cannot put in to words how good it is, how immersive and real it all feels using a headset.

I've never tried the anything other than the Oculus, but I'd recommend it whole heartedly. I'd also say the loss in image quality is less than sometimes people make out. I've found it more than satisfactory for my racing, and with a bit of settings tweaks in game you can make it look pretty good.

If you are in doubt about it, just go do it man! You will not look back! :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Received Vive two days ago, been enjoying it a lot. Got it to work last night on Assetto, looks amazing :D I just wish they make vive official support, little hassle everytime setting everything up