1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you like to purchase your copy?

Discussion in 'GTR 3' started by Bram Hengeveld, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Passionate Volvo C30 driver Premium

When the RACE series came out there was a lot of complaining about Steam. Previous titles as GTR, GT Legends and GTR 2 were sold mainly via stores as a boxed version. After some time the storm passed and people saw that Steam wasn't so bad afterall (especially easy reinstalling) with exception of the very slow loading of the game compared to titles such as DiRT2 that fire up in a second.

How would you like to purchase your next game?
    - A boxed version
    - Via Steam
    - Via digital download

2. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Licensed

I like Steam myself :)

3. Keith Barrick

Keith Barrick Licensed

I will be buying a boxed version to go along with my insane collection of simracing games :) It will be a library of "Old" games to my kids

4. James Johnson

James Johnson The Weatherman Premium Licensed

Box just because it means that if i do lose my steam account i've still got the game. :)

5. Senad Subasic

Senad Subasic Licensed

I practically never bought games before Steam. It's simple, it's convenient. When I want to buy something, I check there first.

6. Péter Bártfai

Péter Bártfai Licensed

Boxed version:
    That means I have the game, even if I won't have a net connection or somebody steals my account, or Steam goes down, etc. + it looks fine on the bookshelf, it has a printed manual, and it feels good to take those CD/DVD-s in my hands!:) And I can install it a lot faster as I have a 4Mb connection only, so downloading a game on Steam can take a lot of time.
    + nowadays Steam is a lot more expensive than our shops. (when I bought GTR Evo it was the other way, but this year I bought Race On full version cheaper from a shop than the expansion was on Steam)

7. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Licensed

definitely boxed version.
    I swear by it.

8. David Wright

David Wright

In the past Steam release of Simbin titles has lagged release of the boxed game. I think I'll buy whichever is available first.

Apparently in the US, digital sales now account for half of PC game sales.

9. Rhys Gardiner

Rhys Gardiner Licensed

Kind of on the fence at the moment. It all depends on whether SimBin/Atari will distribute the boxed game in Australia or not.

10. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Passionate Volvo C30 driver Premium

Is Atari the publisher again?

11. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour Licensed

Steam - instant play and no hassle on hunting it down in stores or waiting for the delivery time.

12. Rhys Gardiner

Rhys Gardiner Licensed

No idea... I'm just going by who published earlier games.

13. Mike Chaney

Mike Chaney Licensed

I always buy boxed if possible, there is something about having it in your hands that just feels better.

14. Grégory Cogotti

Grégory Cogotti Licensed

I prefer a boxed version because i think is more secure than a steam account.

15. Philip Antonia

Philip Antonia Licensed

I'll buy boxed as long as they're made. I like to have my collection on the shelf.

I'm perfectly happy using steam for the game itself and it's auto updating etc, but I hate paying for a virtual product!!

Silly I know :)

16. Nathan Magrath

Nathan Magrath Premium Licensed

Eveything mentioned above is why id always get the boxed version :)

17. Shakurazz

Shakurazz

Whichever is the cheapest

18. Pieter Theron

Pieter Theron Licensed

Steam for me...Only had 1 issue with Steam since I've started using it. They also seems to have change the load it placed on resources in the past..Thumbs up for me :)

19. Johan Top

Johan Top Licensed

You can play any game on Steam while being offline. Just turn on 'offline mode'.

20. Senad Subasic

Senad Subasic Licensed

If somebody manages to steal your account, you shouldn't be using computers anyway :p. Happened to a friend of mine, but he got it back in a day or two. You have the receipts for your games, no problem in getting it back.
    I don't think it's possible for Steam to go down. At least the game repositories. But if it somehow does, I'm sure there will be plenty of time do download and archive all of your games.

On the plus side, convenience, easy installs, automatic updates, large communities, zero plastic waste.
    I have some games on CDs and DVDs, and they were fun to look at for the first half hour. Now they just occupy space and collect dust. And the mediums won't last forever.