How 'user friendly' is the game for old, slow drivers? :)

Connor Caple

Slowest Racer in Town...
[Edit: Bought the game from RD store. Set wheel and graphics up. Having fun! Thanks all]

I used to race club events, mini-fridays, etc., with Race 07. I currently race in the GT6 series here. I am quite slow - in fact, I doubt I'd be allowed to race under the 107% rule... ever.

How is AC for rubbish drivers like me? Do we have anyone slow enough to express an opinion, or is everyone else way faster than me like always? :D

I keep considering buying it but, since all the really fast racers have switched to it, that makes me think it's not well suited to people whose idea of a fast, hard, white-knuckle-ride of a drive is a Mini.

Last edited:
Hope you had a great vacation @Dean Ogurek.

Awesome to see you picked it up @Connor Caple.

"My PC is old and creaky, but copes fine after the really long load time I suffer because it only has 2MB ram."

^ Lmao! What is your computer from 1993? :roflmao:
Thanks Saleem! It was great - just too short for my liking.

@ Connor Caple - maybe you can add RAM? It can be quite inexpensive to upgrade older machines if it has the capacity. I'm glad you made the buy for AC.

"My PC is old and creaky, but copes fine after the really long load time I suffer because it only has 2MB ram."

^ Lmao! What is your computer from 1993? :roflmao:

No - in 1993 my computer had 4Mb of RAM, I had to double it to 8Mb to run Linux for University work. Apparently I can't type GB even when my brain was thinking about it. :poop:

My wife has the good PC with the spiffy graphics, fast quad core processor and the 8GB of RAM - I have the PS4, PS3, 360, Vita and all that stuff. :)

Unfortunately, stealing her PC to connect up with my G25 is not an option.

I might be able to get an upgrade at XMas, but money is tight at the moment. :redface:

Thanks. Already bought it via the RD store, installed and drove a Lotus around Monza until it ran out of fuel. Handling is pretty nice.

I switched it to pro, which caused me some issues under braking on the entry to the chicanes a few times, but I adapted with some careful driving and got the time down under 2:20 from an initial 3:07 while I was trying to get the FFB, Wheel settings and graphics sorted out.

My PC is old and creaky, but copes fine after the really long load time I suffer because it only has 2MB ram.

I'll have to get some of you added on Steam so I can see how much slower I am on the tracks. I only really know Monza out of the ones available, so learning the others will be a challenge. :speechless:

So you took 47 sec off your pb while tweaking your settings, think you are faster than you say...;):D

Seriously though, as has been said in previous posts - it's not about being fastest, i have had so much fun driving in different sims and never been the fastest but there is always someone to race with that is on the same level as oneself. So you will have a blast, i'm sure.

Feel free to add me on steam if you like. :) (marine5790)

Hehe - I wish I was faster than I say. I tried following Andrew round a corner at Bathurst one night, he sped through it, I took the concrete head on.

In last night's race I finished 3 laps down and averaged 10 seconds a lap slower than the leader. The other 'slower' guy also lapped me. :laugh:

I know it's not all about speed, I think maybe speed of the car is the problem. Perhaps I am not ready for a 200mph Nissan GTR GT3 series. Still, only another 23 races and the season will be over :coffee:

Searched for "marine5790" and it said there's no such person. I love Steam and its user friendly ways... :p
EDIT: found you by doing a google search for 'steam profile marine5790' - sheesh. Trust Steam to not make it easy.

Hehe - I wish I was faster than I say. I tried following Andrew round a corner at Bathurst one night, he sped through it, I took the concrete head on.

In last night's race I finished 3 laps down and averaged 10 seconds a lap slower than the leader. The other 'slower' guy also lapped me. :laugh:

I know it's not all about speed, I think maybe speed of the car is the problem. Perhaps I am not ready for a 200mph Nissan GTR GT3 series. Still, only another 23 races and the season will be over :coffee:

Searched for "marine5790" and it said there's no such person. I love Steam and its user friendly ways... :p
EDIT: found you by doing a google search for 'steam profile marine5790' - sheesh. Trust Steam to not make it easy.

Cool :)
My internet connection is currently down and has been since Wednesday night... :( but i'll add you when i get back up again. (which might take a while by the looks of it...)

I purchase AC in May
but I'm extreme time limited if I have 1 hour per week to practice
it's a great week
I posted weeks ago and was happy to see a reply very quickly
from a real cool guy named George
Because of his niceness I continue to at least try altho I'm still pretty bad
can't get the setups it takes the entire hour to mess with them
But I just read about the racing academy I will for sure give this a try
Racing sims one never stops learning it's massive but even more massive enjoyment!
What a treat to be learned by the very best @ academy!
I will have maybe 3 hours per week maybe six weeks from now
Thanks everyone & Thanks again George

@Connor Caple ,

it's been said over and over, speed is not always the most important. Just improve your speed step by step (recommend signing for Driver Academy) and try to be consistent. I'm always marking the back of the grid and yet i'm rarely the last. I try to not go beyond my reach and there you go past at least couple of guys for sure. You won't win, but you won't be last.
Have you tried using Rivali Tempo or RSR Live timing? You'll always find someone who's slower, trust me. And, that's most important, stop convincing yourself how slow you are.
One more. Try watching some of the videos here on RD or YT and you'll see where and why you're losing time (gears, brake points, race line....)

I'm friendly :D. Best thing I've found as I'm consistently 3 - 4 seconds slower than the best RSR times is to follow and watch the better drivers, watch exactly where they brake and how they enter a turn. A friend, Mitja Bonca, just watching him race at Monza shaved dozens of tenths off what I believed were my best laptimes. Hopefully, enough drivers are patient too.

The other important things? Get a REALLY good wheel for a few hundred or more, and be brave over the kurbs and on the brakes. I mean brave. Every time I think I am being brave, I'm not enough. The AC model can be pushed so much, it really is an incredibly deep physics model because I always find more. Push, and you WILL get better.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years