1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to: restarts

Discussion in 'ARCA Sim Racing' started by Gareth Hickling, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Alright guys, After some of the early restarts yesterday some of you may of noticed that by the time the green flag dropped we we running at around 120+ mph. This is not the way to restart a race.

The leader must stay a constant 70 mph when the pace car drives off the track. Do not speed up! As the leader you are controling the field. Any bunching up behind you will be caused by speed changes.

Once the green flag drops as you cross the line now is the time for you to put your foot down. Do not accelerate before the green flag drops.

We were getting groups 100 meters infront on some starts due to this.

Another note is any cars that are laps down and are on the inside MUST stay behind the leader on the restart otherwise you will get a stop go penalty, So thats the leading lap down car on the inside to stay behind the leading car that is on the outside.

Once we get used to it there will be no problems :)
  2. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck
    Six by nine. Forty two.

Tnx Gareth, thats basically all there is to it :)

not the best of examples but i need to shoot for work
  3. Problem is that most people don´t care about it and still don´t obey to starts/restarts procedures. A leader who first speeds up and then brakes and then again speed up will definately cause an entire checkup of the field, thus resulting in crashes cause directly the next caution phase. A liveadmin may interfere to this and penalize the leader with a Stop & Go if he/she does not obey to the procedure!
  4. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Nice example Lars thanks!
  5. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

@Sascha, i think for the most of us it more a matter of inexperience and not that people don't care. We all still need to learn a lot when it comes to driving ovals, especially the specific rules.

This post is a good step, noted in my book, since i didnt know that 70mph is the standard. I never need it anyway cause i am never leading :D
  6. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Indeed. you saw how good they went when I was leading, The perfect restart :) :good:
  7. Thanks Gareth for that.

I for one never knew that being new to ARCA and the series in general.

The onus then is definitely on the leader, if he controls the pace there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm sure as some of us newer participants get used to it, things will improve, grats on last nights win too (Talladega) :good:
  8. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Cheers chap :)

And I think thats why these racing club events are perfect. Once we are all used to the rules it will be fantasticoooo!
  9. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

when i'm leading i always back everyone up to pace i wanna set but some people just fly and i gotta keep up or whats the point?
  10. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Yep indeed James all you can do is follow or you lose the train. Thats why its so important for the leader to keep pace.
  11. True. However a standard? Well ARCA at Salem and 70mph would be pretty fast though. HAHAHA :funnypost:

But yes you´re right. It´s the inexperience as you say. The more you race with other mates, the better it gets as people learn the rules :)
  12. Bram

What is the exact rule on re-start speeds? Remain the same speed as the safety car untill the s/f line, and then go flat out at green green green?

/me picks my little Re/Max notebook and writes it all down :D
  13. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Correct chap. Mostly around 70 mph, Just the little tracks are slighty slower :D
  14. Bjorn de Haas

Bjorn de Haas
    Premium Member

thanks gareth i made such a mistake monday. i was pacing while the rest was doing 70 mph.. im learning everyday
  15. Just to clarify: the leader must keep the speed till the green flag, no till thr s/f line crossing. Is it right?.

Another issue: when the yellow comes, nobody must overtake. Everybody must keep its possition.
  16. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Correct, when the green drops the leader can floor it, no need to wait for the line.

As for when yellows come out, no racing back to the line to prevent accidents is the best way to do it. Get ready to slow down. :)
  17. The leader sets the pace for the field until the green flag drops....when green green green is called the leader floors it. The only way to overtake prior to the line is the outside line without being black flagged, you cannot overtake someone on the inside line prior to the start finish line without being penalized. Nascar rules, the leader can not be overtaken by 2cnd place on double file restarts until after the start finish line or if the leader spins the tires on the restart, then its acceptable for 2cnd to pass before the line.

Hope this helps javier

You racing with (TRM?) if so see you tuesday!
  18. Bram

19. thx and yes, I'll see you omn TRM too
  20. Maurice Hurkmans

Maurice Hurkmans
    RD Travel Expert

After yesterdays race a good reminder how to do a proper restart, cause yesterday not all restarts were flawless....

Here a short round up:

When safetycar goes out, leader needs to set a pace of 70MPH/110KMH and everybody behind needs to bunch up. When green flag drops the leader floors the throttle :)