How to make an F1 car, the Red Bull way

Gareth Price

@garethaprice
Gareth Price submitted a new blog post:

How to make an F1 car, the Red Bull way

Infiniti Red Bull Racing has launched a new mini-series on its YouTube channel, taking viewers through the processes that deliver up a multi-championship-winning machine.

Part one of The Making of an F1 Car features Red Bull's team principal Christian Horner and technical partnership manager Alan Peasland describing the crucial design and development activities at the team's Milton Keynes headquarters.

From Adrian Newey's drawings, through test cycles to sign off, the film presents a...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
This is why I described it as a 'brief glimpse' :) ... it's a PR exercise of course but I think the series will still be interesting.
I visited the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes in 2012 and I was surprised how ordinary it was, in comparison to McLaren's extraordinary headquarters.
Back then at least, anyone could walk into Red Bull's reception, on a regular industrial park next to a carpet warehouse, and see the many trophies on display.
At McLaren, you can't just drive up to the building. The car park is on a separate site from where you can't even see the technology centre until the shuttle bus takes you there. However, it is an amazing building.
http://youtu.be/ZU9mVr3IWLY
At Red Bull I was told there are times when NASA call them up for advice on composite materials or aerodynamics. It's advice they freely give. McLaren, however, would charge a hefty consultation fee because that is the business they are in, automotive engineering, electronics and manufacturing.
Red Bull Racing exists to bring global attention to an Austrian energy drinks company. It's a strong contrast and shows just how incredibly fine the margins between success and failure are in F1.

This is why I described it as a 'brief glimpse' :) ... it's a PR exercise of course but I think the series will still be interesting.
I visited the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes in 2012 and I was surprised how ordinary it was, in comparison to McLaren's extraordinary headquarters.
Back then at least, anyone could walk into Red Bull's reception, on a regular industrial park next to a carpet warehouse, and see the many trophies on display.
At McLaren, you can't just drive up to the building. The car park is on a separate site from where you can't even see the technology centre until the shuttle bus takes you there. However, it is an amazing building.
http://youtu.be/ZU9mVr3IWLY
At Red Bull I was told there are times when NASA call them up for advice on composite materials or aerodynamics. It's advice they freely give. McLaren, however, would charge a hefty consultation fee because that is the business they are in, automotive engineering, electronics and manufacturing.
Red Bull Racing exists to bring global attention to an Austrian energy drinks company. It's a strong contrast and shows just how incredibly fine the margins between success and failure are in F1.
And you can't get tours of the McLaren technology center either unless under very special circumstances. Even then...they only do these tours when there is very little development going on etc.

And you can't get tours of the McLaren technology center either unless under very special circumstances. Even then...they only do these tours when there is very little development going on etc.

They do offer tours for members. I was meant to have gone in August.....but due to being needed in work I couldn't...gutted...yes, as it was also a Q&A with Whitmarsh. :confused:

They do offer tours for members. I was meant to have gone in August.....but due to being needed in work I couldn't...gutted...yes, as it was also a Q&A with Whitmarsh. :confused:
You get offered the tour, you're then placed into a pool of everyone offered, then about 10 people get picked from that pool. Getting offered to go and actually getting to go are 2 different things.

Oh and then you have to pay £35 or something like that for the tour.

You get offered the tour, you're then placed into a pool of everyone offered, then about 10 people get picked from that pool. Getting offered to go and actually getting to go are 2 different things.

Oh and then you have to pay £35 or something like that for the tour.

I was picked. And it is £55.....which I don't understand.

Red Bull only offer tours to competition winners. It's not something you can walk in and request.

I won a competition last year to tour the factory. It's pretty cool.
2 mins from my house too :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back