How to get the best visual quality?

Im running 2 x GTX 670's in SLI and am trying to get the best possible visual quality.

It seems that no matter how high I set the AA or AF there are still lots of jaggies..

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

I would choose Nvidia If your main focus is Pcars, rFactor 2 and perhaps even Assetto Corsa. In other games AMD cards perform usually very well but for some reason they have performance issues at least with rFactor 2. I dont think there is clear winner in whole as the performance changes from game to game.

Ok thanks for that.

I'm currently rocking a HD7970, which performs pretty well. I get up to 153fps and down to about 100fps at various tracks, so that's all good, but that's only with 2XAA. I can bet that when you start adding AI cars or multiplayer, things might get more choppy. I was looking at a NV 780, but I may wait...

I take it there are no video card benchmarks for Assetto Corsa?

PS, you know what would be a great game feature (which is sadly missing now in most games) is a performance benchmark test.

I tried "Geforce Experience" (no support for AC) aswell as the Nvidia Control panel and it does not show those specific settings you mention. I have 4x supersampling on and it helps but not enough to make screenshots look clean and "jaggy free".

Using a single GTX670

Well, 4x Supersampling is different to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Since Sparse Grid Supersampling is not available on NVIDIA panel, you need NVIDIA Inspector.

Thanks @André G. Maul. I'm at work but will try these settings when I get home. I use a triple screen setup with 2 x Nvidia GTX 660ti's in SLI. The screens are in surround mode witha a resolution of 5760 x 1200. My Frame Rate is between 40 and 60. Since you seem to have much more experience with this than I do, what helps the frame rate most with the least hit on the graphics and what frame rate is the least that is usable in your experience. Answers from anyone would be great. Thanks in advance.

Another quick question to anyone. In Triple screen at 5760x1200 I can't really see the controls in the cockpit (not in FOV). Has anyone seen a way to move the seat or change FOV so that I can adjust that. Thanks

Thanks ENDR, I will try the + and- keys (oops my bad, thought I tried that but can't remember, 4 in the morning when I was playing, so not so sharp :sleep:) . I haven't even looked at devapps so not sure what that is but will take a look around.

Thanks @André G. Maul. I'm at work but will try these settings when I get home. I use a triple screen setup with 2 x Nvidia GTX 660ti's in SLI. The screens are in surround mode witha a resolution of 5760 x 1200. My Frame Rate is between 40 and 60. Since you seem to have much more experience with this than I do, what helps the frame rate most with the least hit on the graphics and what frame rate is the least that is usable in your experience. Answers from anyone would be great. Thanks in advance.

No problem, I'm glad to help. About your questions, the best balance between quality and performance is something very subjective. For instance, I really hate jaggies, so I'd prefer lowering the car reflections quality than reducing the AA (as both options are very demanding in AC). Anyway, I believe the most demanding settings are Anisostropic Filtering, Sparse Grid Supersampling (on NVIDIA Inspector) and the car reflections settings. A good option for you would be to reduce the Sparse Grid Supersampling to 2x, as 4x will probably be very demanding on that resolution (I would test it anyway, 4x looks much better). If it's still too much, disable it and enable FXAA (although it's not that good as SGSAA and will cause some blurriness). I think for a racing game you need atleast stable 60 FPS.

Here is what I did to achieve good graphics (for NVIDIA GPU's):

In-game settings:

1- Turn off HDR and Motion Blur (both options are causing that blurry aspect);
2- Set Anisostropic Filtering to 2x (it's VERY resource intensive on this game, don't know why);
3- Set Shadows to High and AA to 4x;
4- Turn off Vertical Sync (use NVIDIA Inspector's one instead);
5- Turn off "Lock Onboard Camera to Horizon";
6- Set Cubemap Resolution to Low (very resource intensive) and Faces per Frame to 6 (for real-time car reflections);

NVIDIA Inspector:

1- Create a profile for Assetto Corsa (add both acs.exe and acShowroom.exe);
2- Set AA Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (say goodbye to jaggies and ugly shadows);
3- Set Vertical Sync Tear Control to Adaptive or On (optional).

Results: 60 FPS all the time (except during Monza replays).

My configuration: i5 2300, 4GB, SSD and GTX 660Ti.

Hi André

Thanks for the information, I have spent some time experimenting with them tonight (when I could have been driving!).

Spec wise I am running i7 930 - 6gb 1600 triple - GTX 770.
Test track Silverstone.
No v-sync because I dont want a 60FPS limit

So if I set everything exactly as you explain I pull in a solid 170fps.
HDR seems to make no real negative impact so I turn that on.
Set Cubemap Resolution to medium and im down to 130fps.
Set Cubemap Resolution to high and im down to 80fps.

These are the average numbers I am seeing as I drive cockpit in the Ferrari (not during a replay as these seem always a bit higher).
The only thing these settings have in common is that I am still seeing jaggies on track!

I even tried upping the AA Transparency Supersampling to 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling. This didnt impact FPS or get rid of the jaggies.

The example jaggies I have been using in this test from cockpit view is the white paint on the outside of the turn on to Hanger Straight.
Dont get me wrong as things in general are pretty awesome, I think its fine but im always keen to improve things, but on close scrutiny that particular line is never smooth.

I would be interested to see a shot from you of the same view.

Using your settings and HDR:
TpQtXwk.jpg

Using my final settings:
R8aSLdm.jpg

Hi André

Thanks for the information, I have spent some time experimenting with them tonight (when I could have been driving!).

Spec wise I am running i7 930 - 6gb 1600 triple - GTX 770.
Test track Silverstone.
No v-sync because I dont want a 60FPS limit

So if I set everything exactly as you explain I pull in a solid 170fps.
HDR seems to make no real negative impact so I turn that on.
Set Cubemap Resolution to medium and im down to 130fps.
Set Cubemap Resolution to high and im down to 80fps.

These are the average numbers I am seeing as I drive cockpit in the Ferrari (not during a replay as these seem always a bit higher).
The only thing these settings have in common is that I am still seeing jaggies on track!

I even tried upping the AA Transparency Supersampling to 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling. This didnt impact FPS or get rid of the jaggies.

The example jaggies I have been using in this test from cockpit view is the white paint on the outside of the turn on to Hanger Straight.
Dont get me wrong as things in general are pretty awesome, I think its fine but im always keen to improve things, but on close scrutiny that particular line is never smooth.

I would be interested to see a shot from you of the same view.

Using your settings and HDR:
TpQtXwk.jpg

Using my final settings:
R8aSLdm.jpg

That's really weird. Look at this screenshot I just took:

vyek.png

Did you remember to turn the in-game AA to 4x too? You might need to double-check if the Sparse Grid Supersampling is really working for you...

I could really use some help!

Don't know if I should make the purchase because of the graphics card limitation of my notebook computer... I am currently running iRacing and GSC 2013 without any trouble, but I keep hearing that AC is much more demanding when it comes to graphics.

I am also using a Logitech Driving Force Pro, don't know if AC is recommended for owners of this wheel. Maybe I should be advised to wait until I upgrade the computer, the wheel or both.

Specs are included below >>>

39by.jpg

z2e7.jpg

I really appreciate any help as I am on the fence about making this purchase.

Hi,

@André G. Maul
Thanks a lot! it worked for me!
I have no jaggies and no aliasing anymore! It's a pleasure to play
As you said, I install NVIDIA Inspector and set Sparse Grid Supersampling x4

Thanks so much fot that!

Now I have to solve, some very small stutters (jerks), the game is not completely smooth, but it's an other topic (I'm running a Intel Core i7-3770K, 4x 3.50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB) If anyone has an idea.

Did you remember to turn the in-game AA to 4x too? You might need to double-check if the Sparse Grid Supersampling is really working for you...

Yes I have the in-game AA set to 4x.
The profile I created using Inspector shows up in the nVid Control Panel which makes me think I must have created it right, so no reason to think the Sparse Grid setting isnt being applied although obviously the results dont seem to reflect that compared to your shot.
Thank you for taking the time to test that too.
Presumably you leave all the other Inspector settings at default?
I think tonight I will make some radical changes to the profile and make sure 'something' happens at least then I know these inspector settings are being picked up.

Hi,

@André G. Maul
Thanks a lot! it worked for me!
I have no jaggies and no aliasing anymore! It's a pleasure to play
As you said, I install NVIDIA Inspector and set Sparse Grid Supersampling x4

Thanks so much fot that!

Now I have to solve, some very small stutters (jerks), the game is not completely smooth, but it's an other topic (I'm running a Intel Core i7-3770K, 4x 3.50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB) If anyone has an idea.

Glad to hear that! About the stutters, maybe it's related to the Vertical Sync, or Lock Onboard Camera to Horizon (try to disable both).

Yes I have the in-game AA set to 4x.
The profile I created using Inspector shows up in the nVid Control Panel which makes me think I must have created it right, so no reason to think the Sparse Grid setting isnt being applied although obviously the results dont seem to reflect that compared to your shot.
Thank you for taking the time to test that too.
Presumably you leave all the other Inspector settings at default?
I think tonight I will make some radical changes to the profile and make sure 'something' happens at least then I know these inspector settings are being picked up.

Did you add both acs.exe and acShowroom.exe to the profile? Those are the correct .exe files. And yes, I leave all the other Inspector settings at default.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 102 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.4%