1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

"How To Drive" Ben Collins - anyone read it?

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Connor Caple, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Connor Caple

Connor Caple
    Slowest Racer in Town...

I'm tempted to pick it up on Kindle, but not sure if it's worth the entrance fee :roflmao:

I already have two good race craft books (Going faster and Drive To Win) but if the Ben Collins book is an interesting and entertaining read, he can have my dosh.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...de=as2&tag=racedep-20&linkId=OP7NOH77ZF4J7UF5

Anyone have an opinion, or should I just buy it and tell you lot what a slow driving old fart makes of it? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. I haven't read his books yet but, there has been some discussion about them (ref. to his autobiography) in the Pcars forums. I'd like to hear more about that as well as I enjoy reading Ben's insightful and humorous feedback on the games progress as well as his references to real-world racing experiences. I think that the main focus of the new book is aimed at the everyday driver more than on racing but, I could be wrong and it should be a good read none the less.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I haven't read his latest publication, but I own and have read many times over his book "The Man in the White Suit".
    Fantastic read really.

I'll probably purchase this how to drive one as well to see if I can pick up any fresh pointers. Always something new to be learned :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. I bought it cos it was on sale, prob won't read it this year, but I do plan to, some day :p

5. I'm not sure it would make any difference to anyone sim racing. Sims are really about accumulating enough experience to predict reactions and smooth movement not feel.
    Also I doubt it will be as good as 'The Man In The White Suit'. From the reviews I've read I think there will be only basic driving techniques you could pick up on the internet like 'don't put the throttle on until you've put all the steering on that you need' and some safe driving tips like 'what could be, when you can't see'.
    I'll maybe end up getting it as a Christmas present anyway, then I could tell you what it's like. :)

6. Connor Caple

Connor Caple
    Slowest Racer in Town...

I had a look at a copy and it does seem to be more aimed at road driving with some anecdotes to keep us interested. I'll probably find it landing under my XMas tree too, along with the Jackie Stewart book and the one that's like a kind of Novel about Italian racing around WW2.

My family know what to get for a petrol-head :laugh: