How to design cars or helmets efficient?

Hey guys,

i looked around here and found tutorials on how to edit helmet designs or car designs and tried these out to design my own helmet. Quickly i noticed that it's a bit harder then i thought. The helmets or 2012 cars i found here are amazing and i'm wondering how you guys get all the logos from the teams in a good quality. Are all the logos you can see on the 2012 cars self-made?

An example: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/vettel-melbourne-2012-option-1-hd-by-pmgl.48723/

It's the helmet of Sebastian Vettel from the 2012 saison. And the "Arai" or "Infiniti" logo + the overall design on the top of the helmet..is this all self-made with photoshop? Or is there a chance to get "real"-pictures and convert them into ingame-graphics? And where to get all the sponsor-logos?

I just know that they look for the logos on google and download it from the official webpage... I don't know about the rest...

The best model to use for cars is the high.lod files in the seperate car folders. You would need to open this in 3dsimed and apply the standard skins here. Once done you can export it as a 3ds file for use in either 3dsmax or Photoshop. CS4 or 5 is best for this. Those are what I use, although others do use Gimp and Blender for pretty basic editing and painting. I have no experience with either of those programs so am unaware of their full capabilities.​
For the helmet model use Daimons Model found here​
Daimons basic video tutorial​
Logos​
Fonts​
If you cannot find the logo or font you are looking for as a last resort look for it on google, but failing that you'll just have to re-draw the logo or font by hand.​
Ryders PSSG editor.​
Run Ryders pssg tool as administrator, look for one of the car files you wish to work on (normaly inside the cars folder) and open the livery main folder and then the high texture file within that.​
Export the file you want to paint to desktop. Once painted with ryders editor import the dds file back into the original location and save.​
You will need the nvidia dds plugin for photoshop to save the repainted skins as dds files.​
Hope this helps a little.​
Or these videos are an excellent tutorial. They use exactly the same methods for the Formula 1 game.​

Hey,

i started today to design my own first helmet. I'm almost finished by now, but how do i get rid of this little "spoiler" on the helmet? Is it possible to remove this "spoiler"? I don't really want it on my helmet. Also i'm wondering which files do i need to replace to see my new helmet in the carreer "choose-a-helmet" screen? I imported my helmet to the game and it works, but it did not show up within the carrer menu.

And last question: I painted a logo on the "visor", but as i was trying out my new helmet my logo on the visor was overriden by Jenson Buttons english flag and some "Johnnie Walker"-sponsor text. Is it possible to prevent this? Are logo/text on the visor pointless?

Here are a few first screenshots from Adobe Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/8ceiZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VxD16.jpg

//ML2166 - If you read this: How do you got your Marlboro-Logo on your Senna Tribute Helmet not getting blurred because of the helmet shape? My font isn't straight on the helmet after rendering.

greets

Hey,

i started today to design my own first helmet. I'm almost finished by now, but how do i get rid of this little "spoiler" on the helmet? Is it possible to remove this "spoiler"? I don't really want it on my helmet. Also i'm wondering which files do i need to replace to see my new helmet in the carreer "choose-a-helmet" screen? I imported my helmet to the game and it works, but it did not show up within the carrer menu.

And last question: I painted a logo on the "visor", but as i was trying out my new helmet my logo on the visor was overriden by Jenson Buttons english flag and some "Johnnie Walker"-sponsor text. Is it possible to prevent this? Are logo/text on the visor pointless?

Here are a few first screenshots from Adobe Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/8ceiZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VxD16.jpg

//ML2166 - If you read this: How do you got your Marlboro-Logo on your Senna Tribute Helmet not getting blurred because of the helmet shape? My font isn't straight on the helmet after rendering.

greets

For the visor to show up, you'll need to replace the visor of the drivers in game, in your case the visor for jenson and lewis in the car livery folders.

To have it show up in the cutscenes, you'll need to replace the visor in the high and med_txt folders in the characters/models folder.

Apply the font direct to the 3D helmet in photoshop if you are having trouble setting it in the correct place on the 2D template.

Thanks for your answer. But what about the little wing on the back of the helmets? Is there a way i can temporarly hide the little wing on the back, so i can finish the green stripe on the back of the helmet in the 3D modus? It's easier for me to edit this in 3D, but i cant because the wing is blocking the way.

Hello.
I try for more than a week, has to develop the method of Daimons for cars, without resulted convincing (stake has part an invisible car in games(sets)).
I thus saw the post of ML, I open 3dsimed and throw(launch) the file hr1_highLOD.pssg.
I thus have a 3d model really not very beautiful.

968001421.png

Then you indicates, apply the standard skins here.
And the I do not know that she(it) file to apply (.DDS.TGA etc.)
And the worst as I am not familiar with 3dsimed, I not it is not how to bring skins
And he(it) possible which a member(limb) puts has arrangement(measure) file already near has to be to use.

Thank you.
Sadden for my English

Hello.
I try for more than a week, has to develop the method of Daimons for cars, without resulted convincing (stake has part an invisible car in games(sets)).
I thus saw the post of ML, I open 3dsimed and throw(launch) the file hr1_highLOD.pssg.
I thus have a 3d model really not very beautiful.

968001421.png

Then you indicates, apply the standard skins here.
And the I do not know that she(it) file to apply (.DDS.TGA etc.)
And the worst as I am not familiar with 3dsimed, I not it is not how to bring skins
And he(it) possible which a member(limb) puts has arrangement(measure) file already near has to be to use.

Thank you.
Sadden for my English

All car models in game aredouble skinned. One is for the main livery, the other is for the damage decal as they call it.

You need to remove the damage decal parts of the model to leave yourself just the main livery part of the model left over.

Once, damage decal to delete(eliminate) I thus have to import a file the standard skins here

459808861.png

You would need to open this in 3dsimed and apply the standard skins here

I do not find the means to apply another file to the 3D model, every attempt of opening of file with places except the 3D model.
602550291.png

Once, damage decal to delete(eliminate) I thus have to import a file the standard skins here

459808861.png

I do not find the means to apply another file to the 3D model, every attempt of opening of file with places except the 3D model.
602550291.png

I don't quite understand what you are asking.

I see you have the skin applied already ( your first picture)

What do you want to do from there?

459808861.png

It is can be I who has difficulty in understanding(including) the 1st part(party).

When, I arrived has this part(party).
I thus owe registered(recorded) the file in the size(format) 3ds.
But I cannot open the file under Photoshop. I have no probleme with the helmet of Daimons

When I get to that stage I export as a 3ds image into a new file i have created, and also export the textures into the same file.

I then open Photoshop and drag the 3DS model into the photoshop window.

Never fails for me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years