How much worse is the car handling/physics?

Msportdan

@Simberia
**CAR** not AR...

was watching motorstv last nite, and some iracing action at montreal in a touring car series. Looked really fun and i am tempted to start a trial 3 months. I have the usual sims (gsc, rf2 AC, rre, pcars).

So how does the physics stack up to say the best of the above.?

cheers.

I've recently dipped my toes into Iracing, 3 weeks in, i think its okay. the physics do feel a little floaty, but thats it. that one small thing, the online racing is fair, and relatively clean, of course there are noobs, there are also new (to me) tracks which understandably take a little while to get used to.

Every little thing you do gets penalised. which i think is great for making the racing cleaner, and more realistic because of this, although i have found a couple of cars just driving miss daisy i presume to preserver their sacred safety rating or something. But these are rare.

Last night, I had a 20 lap race around a japanese (i think) circuit, 2nd, 3rd and me in 4th placed within a car length between us over the finish line, and all of use lead on the last lap, it was that close, and that intense. Great racing!

So yeah, give it a go, take a 3 month trial and see how you get on, as others have said, get out of the nooby races, and get practicing. good stuf :)

so guys if you couls say what the physics like between rf2/gsce/rre what would it be a combination of?

If with "physics" you actually mean force feedback, then I would say that for a toy wheel, like T300RS I'm using, it is not as informative as in rF2 or finetuned realfeel in GSEC, as it models only steering rack forces (or so I have read), but it is definitely good enough.

If iRacing works a bit more on the OVER SLIPPERY grass, I'd appreciate. Not that I hit the grass often (I used to ride the CTS-V in a clean way, got top 75, even being a div 5 driver, in the Peak Global Challenge), but one tire in the grass is all you need.

And I'm curious to see how the dynamic track will work. Hope it works out well enough. and RIP Pontiac Riley DP!

so just got the trial for 9$ for 3 months, just dl now.
@Msportdan , there is a lot of good advice out there about how to go about budgeting for iRacing. First thing is: decide whether you want to race and advance on the Road side or the Oval side. I'm guessing you are going to go Road. If so, I highly recommend starting out in the MX-5 Cup car. It's a fun little car and it is part of the base content.

wow I'm impressed what a online system they have

got a 1.22 with the mx5 at Carolina got pole in my first race, jumped the lights lol they came on (between nerves and eagerness) put my foot down !! lol stop n go took ages. so quit.. waiting for next race, I can see why people spend a lot on this.

handling while not gsc or rf is bloody fun, I like it really can chuck the mx5 around..

hhhmmm

welcome to proper online racing.. bye bye ai ?

wow I'm impressed what a online system they have

got a 1.22 with the mx5 at Carolina got pole in my first race, jumped the lights lol they came on (between nerves and eagerness) put my foot down !! lol stop n go took ages. so quit.. waiting for next race, I can see why people spend a lot on this.

handling while not gsc or rf is bloody fun, I like it really can chuck the mx5 around..

hhhmmm

welcome to proper online racing.. bye bye ai ?

It's nice to see that your first impressions were good. Just some advice though: DO NOT drop out of races when you hit a rough patch like that. Stay in the race and always finish. Quitting out will affect your iRating which will make it tougher to advance your license. Keep pushing.;)

Yeah, agree completely. It takes some getting used to, even if you get wrecked and its not your fault, but make sure you finish.

I've had a couple of times where I've been shunted off by an eager beaver. Only to pit, repair and gain places just because others have crashed or failed to finish.

Perseverance is the key here. It's the end of season wrap up this week (i think) so the races are limited / demonstrations of content you wouldn't normally use. The next season starts next week from what I gather, which means more races, + rankings.

Wanted to add that I managed to climb form rookies to B-class in less than a month. I treated races (especially rookies) as trackday events, where I didn't want to scratch paint with no one. I let aggressive drivers go past, and overtook them when they had crashed out. Many frustrating moments though, so it wasn't all that easy.

I just activated a 3 month trial that was free (thanks to the guy that mentioned it) and I am loving the ovals again. I used to do I racing years ago and it has improved. I am going to concentrate on the ovals and Stock/Nascar racing and maybe get up to Indycar. I can race GT and other type in other sims, time for change of style.

-how are people finding the new tyres. I mean obviously its new to me, but they feel good and i like the ffb, feels sort of realistic to me, the weight of the wheel etc over bumps and when turning at speed. I mean its not over intrusive but subtle but detailed enough to know whats going on. Thats my first impressions anyway.

-to add about quitting, i didnt think of the effect on my rating. next time ill plod on and see what i damage limitation i can get.

-also i can only find races for the mx5, i would like to try the ford spec, and the ctv cad. How is it i race them with ratings counted?

cheers everyone

You are in the Rookies, so the choices are limited. Drive enough clean races so you get promoted to D-class. Then I highly recommend Spec Racer, it seems to have cleanest close racing available.
That depends on the driver's POV, Jyri. Per example, you can say the Spec Racer is the cleanest one available, but I also can say that the Global Challenge is the cleanest series, because 99% of the races I start they were very clean, I only DNF because of a singular mistake that costed my car or my race.

But I can agree that the MX-5 Rookie cup, caution is key. That series is messy as hell. I only qualified quickly to the D-Class (now I'm transitioning to the C-Class finally) because 99% of the races I started on the top and maintained there.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%