1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC How large can track maps be?

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Bram, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Something I have been wondering about for some time is the limit on track sizes.

Personally my ultimate "simracing" game would be a mix between the physics and looks of Assetto Corsa and a track the size of an island as we saw in Test Drive Unlimited and just do some free driving with friends in cool looking cars, hang out on parking lots, do a little donut here and there and drive :D

Would such a ridiculously large track map be an option for AC? I mean the size of the Nordschleife will be significant as well.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Isle of Man TT!!! That would be great. I think there is no limits to map size.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. I just hope there is no "watering down" of the track mesh required for a track the size of the Nordschliefe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Turk

Turk
    Premium Member

It should be possible to make fairly large maps, especially when we're on PC and not exactly limited to a set piece of hardware, (obviously it's pointless them making a track that only a tiny percent of people can run) games like Arma show what's possible but I guess AC is a lot more detailed.

I would like to see a chase game in a large map. One car has to get from one side of the map to the other or from a certain point to the edge of the map (to escape) and other cars have to try and stop them escaping. If you set the map in a US desert type setting everything beyond the road wouldn't need all that much detail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium Member

:cautious:, like need for speed hot pusuit? :O_o:
    But with awsome physics! :thumbsup:
    Don't forget a gas station :D

@Bram Hengeveld : call it RD city! You can use it before a RD event starts ;)

6. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

It would be a nice community modding project for sure if it were possible to create such maps from scratch.

I really loved every minute in Test Drive Unlimited and TDU 2. Would be a dream to have that experience with proper cars as well.

Heck make such an island map official as a DLC and ill pre-order it on the fly :)

7. How about the entire world of Euro Truck Simulator 2 in AC? That would be... SICK.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Theres probably a mathematical way of calculating it quite exactly, depending on hardware-specs.

I know the amount and size/detail/resolution of textures makes a big difference in fps and loading times.
    So half the texture size/resolution would make it roughly possible to make the track double the size?

9. when we got such a huge map, i hope it wont be so flat. It should be bumpy and got some nice hills and so on. I like your idea and want to know it too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Create Dakar 2014 on a huge map :)
    Do your navigation wrong and get lost to be never found again....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Damien Wintz

Damien Wintz
    Premium Member

I think the devs mentioned 16km*16km as the maximum map size on a couple of occasions. If I recall correctly it's because of floating point number precision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It would be like the AC Gumball Rally, lol.

:)

• Haha Haha x 1
  13. Well once the modding tools are available we can just test it how much AC allows :)

14. I think i read about that in the "Skype Modding Q&A" thread and the limit of Assetto Corsa is 16km x 16km

Edit: Can´t find the post anymore, maybe i am wrong but i think i´ve read about something with 16km x 16km... does anyone know it better?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. I remember seeing something about 16km x 16km but don't remember where.

• Beer Beer x 1
  16. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

To put that into perspective, the Nürburgring fits in about a 7km by 7km square.

But the Isle of Man track is too 'tall' (north-south span is roughly 18/19km I believe) though you could probably scale it down slightly to fit it in.

It's not big enough for the Targa Florio by a long shot.

Still, 16km² is pretty damn big :sneaky:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium Member

16x16 km = 256 km2 :whistling:;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

:redface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  19. Stereo

Stereo
    Premium Member

That, or bend it slightly - you don't need to change that many corners (and it has a lot) to bring the far ends a bit closer together. Just extend some fast S corners so instead of turning 10 degrees left and then 10 right, they go 12 degrees left and 8 right, and the difference adds up.

• Like Like x 1