How large can track maps be?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Something I have been wondering about for some time is the limit on track sizes.

Personally my ultimate "simracing" game would be a mix between the physics and looks of Assetto Corsa and a track the size of an island as we saw in Test Drive Unlimited and just do some free driving with friends in cool looking cars, hang out on parking lots, do a little donut here and there and drive :D

Would such a ridiculously large track map be an option for AC? I mean the size of the Nordschleife will be significant as well.

It should be possible to make fairly large maps, especially when we're on PC and not exactly limited to a set piece of hardware, (obviously it's pointless them making a track that only a tiny percent of people can run) games like Arma show what's possible but I guess AC is a lot more detailed.

I would like to see a chase game in a large map. One car has to get from one side of the map to the other or from a certain point to the edge of the map (to escape) and other cars have to try and stop them escaping. If you set the map in a US desert type setting everything beyond the road wouldn't need all that much detail.

It would be a nice community modding project for sure if it were possible to create such maps from scratch.

I really loved every minute in Test Drive Unlimited and TDU 2. Would be a dream to have that experience with proper cars as well.

Heck make such an island map official as a DLC and ill pre-order it on the fly :)

Theres probably a mathematical way of calculating it quite exactly, depending on hardware-specs.

I know the amount and size/detail/resolution of textures makes a big difference in fps and loading times.
So half the texture size/resolution would make it roughly possible to make the track double the size?

I think i read about that in the "Skype Modding Q&A" thread and the limit of Assetto Corsa is 16km x 16km

Edit: Can´t find the post anymore, maybe i am wrong but i think i´ve read about something with 16km x 16km... does anyone know it better?

Last edited:
To put that into perspective, the Nürburgring fits in about a 7km by 7km square.

But the Isle of Man track is too 'tall' (north-south span is roughly 18/19km I believe) though you could probably scale it down slightly to fit it in.

It's not big enough for the Targa Florio by a long shot.

Still, 16km² is pretty damn big :sneaky:

Last edited:
But the Isle of Man track is too 'tall' (north-south span is roughly 18/19km I believe) though you could probably scale it down slightly to fit it in.
That, or bend it slightly - you don't need to change that many corners (and it has a lot) to bring the far ends a bit closer together. Just extend some fast S corners so instead of turning 10 degrees left and then 10 right, they go 12 degrees left and 8 right, and the difference adds up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back