How is AI talent handled for skin pack series w/o their own talent files?

A simple question I’ve occasionally wondered about. If a skin pack includes its own series files but does not include its own talent files, then how does the game go about assigning talent to the AI drivers of the skin pack’s series? Can there be some sort of a “mapping” somewhere that essentially states SkinPackDriverA = BaseGameDiverX ?

As an offline racer, I just wonder if the AI bahavior I see in skin pack series w/o talent files is random or if there is some sort of logic to it.

If there is no talent files the game just reverts to a base talent file for all cars so in essence the fastest car in the mod would win most of the time.

Making your own talent files is really easy it is just tedious, changing values all the time and checking in game.

Making your own talent files is really easy it is just tedious, changing values all the time and checking in game.

I actually just spent the last while creating my own baseline set of talent files for the F-Ultimate 2017 skin pack from Pebz. For now, they are just transfers of values from the game’s included talent files to what seemed like the best “mappings” for the real world counterparts in the skin pack. That said, I laid out all the values in a spreadsheet and can see that I’ll definitely have some tweaking to do.

Right now I’m just trying to find an up to date resource that explains the attributes in the talent files. They’re actually quite straight forward and easy to judge when you look at all the drivers in a table like I did. The only ones I really have a question about are crash and recovery. Specifically, why the numeric values for these attributes are different than all the others.

I actually just spent the last while creating my own baseline set of talent files for the F-Ultimate 2017 skin pack from Pebz. For now, they are just transfers of values from the game’s included talent files to what seemed like the best “mappings” for the real world counterparts in the skin pack. That said, I laid out all the values in a spreadsheet and can see that I’ll definitely have some tweaking to do.

Right now I’m just trying to find an up to date resource that explains the attributes in the talent files. They’re actually quite straight forward and easy to judge when you look at all the drivers in a table like I did. The only ones I really have a question about are crash and recovery. Specifically, why the numeric values for these attributes are different than all the others.
How did you get on with this in the end? I'm looking at doing something similar but have never even looked at a talent file before.

How did you get on with this in the end? I'm looking at doing something similar but have never even looked at a talent file before.

The initial attempt I made didn’t really work as well as I had hoped. I would have instances of things like having Renaults in the front row while the Ferrari’s were mid field, and so forth. Then other times things seemed “realistic” with the Mercedes, Ferraris, and Red Bulls occupying the pointy end of the grid. I honestly have no idea if this was because my attempted “mapping” of the F-Ultimate talent to the skin pack’s teams was off, because the F-Ultimate talent weren’t really applicable to a real world grid, or if it was for other reasons.

Ultimately, my attention span got the better of me and I moved on to driving other things. My personal priorities are such that I’ve just left this initial attempt at talent file “transfer” in place as a sort of “you should really go back and look at that”reminder to myself.

The one piece of advice I would give is that it‘s probably well worth the time to make a spreadsheet or other table with all your talent values. I can’t really put my finger on why, but my gut just tells me that looking at all the talent values collectively will probably allow you to achieve better results than looking at them for each individual driver. If not “better” results then perhaps more efficient work to achieve results that you find satisfactory.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 317 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%