DiRT Rally How good is Dirt Rally?

I'm someone who doesn't relax easily. My relaxation is being immersed in something where I do not think about anything.

I have found Dirt Rally. What a sim it is.

Ayrton Senna said when he raced Monaco his mind would adapt to Monaco like a deep, dark tunnel. I get that here. Listening to co-driver, moving weight of car from corner to corner, sheer bliss.

Dirt Rally is extraordinary, I love it more than words,

Dirt rally is nice, but for me the lack of damage on the vehicles (practically) for making serious mistakes is killing 30% of the joy. I made a mod after extensive crash tests and reviews of real life crash data etc, unfortunately it can not be used in career mode, nor online, as Codemasters agreed with car makers under licensing terms not to allow serious damage to the vehicles. Buttholes all around IMO. (the sad thing is the engine is capable of simulating all this serious damage, it is just locked down. )

And BTW if you are wondering, the damage is 10x to 50x too low depending on type of collision.

I can guarantee anyone a massive amount of satisfaction with Dirt Rally.

It is better than Dirt 4 by far, and is a true sim in every way.

Oh hell no, not a sim in damage department. A whole element of RX and Rallying is removed from the game due to the SUPER low damage. Read my post above.

Still a fun game though, very immersive EXCEPT for the damage and idiot AI if you do RX.

I do not mind the samage element

For me, if you go off massively that will impact your ability to set a decent time if you take all else into consideration, that is enough of a penalty.

And in a long rally, that is enough to cost you a lot of service time. I think they got the balance about right

I've
Yep, the FFB is the biggest thing that ruins the DR tarmac experience. Grip and such isn't really that bad, the FFB makes tarmac feel much worse than it actually is.
reinstalled DR and will try the damper, that could help the ffb in this title. It didnt for me in WRC7 and had to rid that game from my HD>. Even with damper.. that games ffb just feels broken..

I do not mind the samage element

For me, if you go off massively that will impact your ability to set a decent time if you take all else into consideration, that is enough of a penalty.

And in a long rally, that is enough to cost you a lot of service time. I think they got the balance about right
You don't mind it maybe, but it's VERY VERY fake and unrealistic, and most people don't like extremely low levels of damage compared to real life. The issue is many people playing these games don't know just how much the damage is off from real life.

Its actually negative training in terms of people who are learning to drive still and think they know what kind of risks they will get into if they try a bit of "rally action" on the roads. Despite the lack of roll cage in normal cars too. You can say what you want, but kids get a lot of ideas from games and TV. :)

@Martin Fiala Just wanted to add thanks for the Damper suggestion really changed the tarmac ffb for me, and actually enjoyed playing DR again.. pretty much uninstalled WRC to put this back on lol!!

So damper will defo not effect any other game right?

Glad it helped.
As for it affecting other games - it most definitely will, but if you mean unintentionally, then I've not come across any game that would be affected by it in that way. But for example in AC, having damper on adds the (intended) effect of the tyre resistance on a stationary or very slowly moving car (I believe it's something like below 5 kph or something like that). But that's of course an intended effect, much like in Dirt Rally.

I think the game is already hard enough without having utterly real damage

If that had been the case it would have probably sold less than it even did.

And it was only an experiment anyway!

Before they launched on us the flawed garbage that was Dirt 4

i think they have a nice balance with the damage. i know if it was much more realistic i would suffer greatly..:redface:
but again a simple "get real mode" would be a real challenge for sure.

its not perfect but more than good enough for what im looking for :)

So fired up raceroom and new update. And the wheels all grainy and dampened lol. So double check setting in game, all to zero. Eerrrrr

Somehow Rr still see the damper setting in profile even with all game to zero.

Ok so ill have to turn thise on off for dirt rally dam!!!

having been playing WRC 7 SLRE, and DR back to back this weekend. I do find DR handling does lack a huge amount of weight to the ffb, feels like your driving a car out of card. Seb and WRC 7 do a better job at the FFB here and the feeling of handling a rally car. As much as i think SLRE is underrated i think DR is overrated! DR physics are flawed and CM tried to fix it for Dirt4.

As far as pure fun visceral single player driving experience...DR rocks! Yes, the damage is too weak, but it does so many things so right. Graphics,weather,career, online...Forcefeedback for me is excellent with impact mod and t300rs. I can’t speak for the physics, because I haven’t driven real rally, but to me it feels good...can feel the weight of the cars and with some tweaks I got it set up perfect. Adrenaline rush. I have been told that iRacing WRX and AMS are much more realistic. Maybe that is true, but I sure enjoy Dirt Rally.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 256 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.8%