DiRT Rally How good is Dirt Rally?

I'm someone who doesn't relax easily. My relaxation is being immersed in something where I do not think about anything.

I have found Dirt Rally. What a sim it is.

Ayrton Senna said when he raced Monaco his mind would adapt to Monaco like a deep, dark tunnel. I get that here. Listening to co-driver, moving weight of car from corner to corner, sheer bliss.

Dirt Rally is extraordinary, I love it more than words,

I can guarantee anyone a massive amount of satisfaction with Dirt Rally.

It is better than Dirt 4 by far, and is a true sim in every way.

It is very difficult, hard to master and you WILL crash routinely initially.

The stages are written to catch you out as well as offer a flow and challenge.

But, master a stage and a car and the satisfaction you will feel will not be matched in any other sim I can guarantee it. If it is that cheap it should almost be de riguer to buy it.

Fair enough if you are a console kid who likes PCARS or Forza you might find it tricky, that was levelled at it, but if you are more Iracing and AC on PC you will love it.

I bought it today for 11 Euro her in Germany via Steam.First time i tryed it when i had a Laptop,wich could not handle it well,so i refund it.
But now with the biggy machine it sure will be fun,so what i heard and read all about...
I had RBR when it came out,with a Red Momo wheel..ohh my God..but i liked it,it was the only SIM these days.
Anyone with some tips or Mods for a Thrustmaster T 300 wheel?
Cheers
DC

dampers in sims nahhhhh!

its still wont fix the god awful tarmac handling./ffb
It's no "dampening" as you know it from other sims in Dirt Rally!
It's more like the main FFB is split into the different categories, not like you add dampening to your main FFB ;)

The Tarmac handling.. well, yeah :roflmao:
Did you try @TemplarGFX 's FFB mods?
I'm really happy with this one for the Logitech G27:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racked-custom-ffb.8731/

Still no Assetto Corsa/rF2/AMS but it feels a lot better with it :)

dampers in sims nahhhhh!
See, that's exactly what I was talking about.
Yes, damping in sims. It doesn't do what you've been told it does. It's just another FFB effect to be used by the game. If you set your damping to 0 in the wheel's control panel, you lose several of the intended in-game effects in Dirt Rally (which you can set to your liking in the game - unless you've set spring and damping to 0, in which case the relevant sliders do nothing).

Even games like AC use the damper effects for intended purposes.

I really wish this whole "dampers in sims nahhhhh!" attitude, based on false preconceptions, would just go away.

Has anyone with a T 500 or T 300 found out satisfying settings?Can you share as a ingame pic?
I only see G 27 users..
I try the Racked Mod with higher values,but still not realy satisfied with the roadgrip.

See, that's exactly what I was talking about.
Yes, damping in sims. It doesn't do what you've been told it does. It's just another FFB effect to be used by the game. If you set your damping to 0 in the wheel's control panel, you lose several of the intended in-game effects in Dirt Rally (which you can set to your liking in the game - unless you've set spring and damping to 0, in which case the relevant sliders do nothing).

Even games like AC use the damper effects for intended purposes.

I really wish this whole "dampers in sims nahhhhh!" attitude, based on false preconceptions, would just go away.

Well all i can say is, i was a bit sceptical to start with, but now i agree with what you are saying.:thumbsup:
my wheel feels better at times, but i think i now need to have a proper play with my settings.

Regarding this, I am not sure it is. After all the years of modding, it probably is. But the stock content have it's weird moments in many situations.
However, as a person who does not have a drivers license, but do have a karting-license and national bilcross(low-level RX) license. I found it interesting how real life and RBR worked quite similar to what I experienced in RX. While in DiRT Rally I had to slightly force it to happen the way I wanted and expected.

Then again, the low-level RX is, well, low-level, and I expect the modern rally cars, and the historic cars with modern tyres, to grip better, and slide less than what I've been driving.

All in all i feel both games did shortcuts in different aspects of the game, and thus they are both great and poor in different areas.

I still find Dirt Rally is representing RWD cars in an extremely impressive way not found in any other loose surface title. Usually develeopers tend to think "IT'S RWD, IT SHOULD HAVE NO GRIP AT ALL!" but in DR you can really use your right foot to steer the car much like you can IRL without the tires starting to slip like crazy. The tires are really doing their work, gripping the gravel but still letting you go sideways.

Sadly they totally messed it up in D4. There are aspects of D4 that I think is better, like high speed handling of cars(comin over crests and such) but the low/mid speed feeling of gravel is just too planted and sterile.

At first glance I thought D4 tarmac felt better but the cars do very strange things in Spain. The rear end many times feels like it's attatched to a trolley, not having real contact with the road. Funny thing is that the tarmac sections in Dirt Fish with gravel tires feels much more natural than Spain does. Maybe it's just the constant elevations in Spain that makes things weird? Dirt Fish is flat.

They even managed to make the awesome audio sound worse in D4 :(

I still find Dirt Rally is representing RWD cars in an extremely impressive way not found in any other loose surface title. Usually develeopers tend to think "IT'S RWD, IT SHOULD HAVE NO GRIP AT ALL!" but in DR you can really use your right foot to steer the car much like you can IRL without the tires starting to slip like crazy. The tires are really doing their work, gripping the gravel but still letting you go sideways.

They even managed to make the awesome audio sound worse in D4 :(

I have no RWD experience from IRL, only been driving SAAB and Toyota:whistling: (EDIT: Oh, and a Golf!)

It does feel like DiRT Rally was something the developers made because they were excited about it, and had a vision on how they wanted the game to be. That it was made with passion, and nothing but passion.
DiRT 4 feels like it is there because quarterly income projections at Codemasters needed to be met, and the board decided it would be a good thing to get money of the DiRT Rally semi-hype...

well, they tried the vision thing by putting in the terrain editor, and i still believe it is the way to go, but like with many other firsts, this was a bit of a letdown. i still do not understand why they changed the underlying engine, which worked so well in dirt rally and is such a pain in dirt04, it must have been the need to implement the editor.

Well all i can say is, i was a bit sceptical to start with, but now i agree with what you are saying.:thumbsup:
my wheel feels better at times, but i think i now need to have a proper play with my settings.
only thing with damper is that you have rti enable and disable it on every sim. For rf2 it will ruin it I think. Thrustmaster don't have game specific profiles. dirt ffb just feel plain wrong on tarmac I've driven a Sti rally prepped car its not that loose even on gravel (bill gwynns rally experience) damper, I would suspect could make it feel better

only thing with damper is that you have rti enable and disable it on every sim. For rf2 it will ruin it I think
You don't and it won't. The game has to specifically use it, otherwise it has no effect.

The only game I've encountered recently that required fiddling with damper and spring settings was WRC7, and that was only because there was no way to adjust individual FFB settings in-game *and* the game was using damper and spring for most of its FFB (so the people with damper and spring set to 0 were getting almost no FFB at all in this game), so that was basically your only way of tuning the FFB more to your liking.

only thing with damper is that you have rti enable and disable it on every sim. For rf2 it will ruin it I think. Thrustmaster don't have game specific profiles. dirt ffb just feel plain wrong on tarmac I've driven a Sti rally prepped car its not that loose even on gravel (bill gwynns rally experience) damper, I would suspect could make it feel better

Yep, the FFB is the biggest thing that ruins the DR tarmac experience. Grip and such isn't really that bad, the FFB makes tarmac feel much worse than it actually is.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back