1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

How does GRID Autosport compare to GRID and GRID 2

Discussion in 'GRID Autosport' started by Rob, May 24, 2014.

1. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

Found this interview here, with the chief game designer: http://www.fanbolt.com/grid-autosport-interview-with-chief-games-designer-on-grid/

Here is the quote I like the best:

In terms of gameplay and driving sensation, how does GRID Autosport compare to GRID and GRID 2? It’s mentioned that it goes back to a more authentic handling style. Just how different will it be?

JN: It’s quite, quite different from GRID 2, and it’s ever so slightly more towards the simulation end of the spectrum than GRID 1, plus the actual car handling and simulation is more detailed than GRID 1. The three games share the series’ “All about the race” DNA, but the experiences have changed each time. Driving-wise, the key thing we’re really happy with in GRID Autosport is the way that the grip falls away when you’re right on the limit. That lets you “catch” the car if you’ve put too much throttle down too early, for example, because you get just enough warning that the car is about to lose traction. That said, we’ve made sure that there are lots of assistance options available so that players of all experiences can enjoy the game. In the above example, traction control would prevent the wheelspin from causing you to lose control of the car, at the expense of being a little slower than a skilled player who applied the throttle gradually.

______

P.S. - Remember the "fall off understeer" problem many had with F1 2013? Well, that's what Codemasters has been really toiling over. My bet is that the handling of the open wheel cars will be even better than F1 2013 because you will be able to feel the tire contact with the asphalt even more in the turns...a major failing of most racing games.

• Beer Beer x 1
  2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

That quote will eventually backfire on them I fear.

You should read it twice to understand it. They consequently don't say its more sim, but more sim than GRID 1.

Not sure how they interpret sim but GRID 1 didn't came close to my definition at least.

3000 threads of complaining "OMG this aint sim, you lied!!!" on the forums coming in 3, 2, 1 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'll still play it but it seems they're chasing the new "sim" buzzword that seems to be hot again in the racing genre. Only a few games are hardcore enough to be called sims and I just don't buy that Codemasters has what it takes to become one of them. However, I'm sure the game will still be fun as long as you know what you're stepping into before you buy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

" it’s ever so slightly more towards the simulation end of the spectrum than GRID 1"

That worries me! Should read more like, " it’s has taken a huge step more towards the simulation end of the spectrum than GRID 1"

The thing is, it's got to be aimed at a wide audience for the likes of codemasters and while that's a good thing for pick up and play gamers, it's going to fall short for serious, hardcore sim racers like most of us. That's not a bad thing necessarily because there is an audience for this kind of racer and it's a bigger audience than us hardcore racers, so I'm sure they will be happy with it. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

It's not always outright true. I know from previous releases from Codies that's how it feels to a lot of guys around here so I can agree with your sentiments in that respect, but in reality there's probably a few more like me that don't get involved in the posting turd storm after release. Being a sim site orientated community I think the balance of posts about this kind of thing can be a little misrepresentative.

I personally like to have a few less rigorous titles like this laying around. The the preparation, ceremony, setup work, and 3 hours in the rig aren't always that inviting after a long day at work and an hour or two chilled out in the arm chair with something a little more towards the arcade gaming end of the spectrum is a breath of fresh air at that point :)

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be hardcore to the max but it will probably find it's place somewhere in my list of currently played titles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

Well that was kinda the point I was making. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | Engineer at Manor Racing Premium Member

We were told the game will be firmly simcade, by Codemasters. It'll be out to cater to casual console gamers.

8. Rob

Rob

If a non-staffer could nudge in here for a sec....:)

Rhetorical question: What would you call F1 2013? More toward the SIM side than GRID1? Really an arcade racer compared to the hardcore SIMS? A good mix between SIM and arcade? (I know, those terms get old).

I guess my point being, if the Codies can move GRID Autosport toward F1 2013 and get close enough, we will have a real gem on our hands, especially from the people (like myself) who don't know the PC side, are last-gen console, and see painfully few authentic handling games.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Whenever the 'sim' word gets bandied around it brings forth a lot of emotive comment. Personally I agree with what Dave said in so far as although I love the sim aspect of many of the PC racing titles and loved them back in the day when I was racing on the PC (and more importantly had more time ot devote to them). Right now I am looking for something that doesn't require me to spend too long tinkering with the setups to get something that enalbes me to be competitive. If this new title gets the balance right and gives us a bit more than the current F1 title (on Xbox at least) then I will probably be more than happy.

I have never tried the previous Grid titles so cannot comment on the 'simness' of those but with regard to F1 2013 in comparison to 'hardcore' sims then it would have to fall far more towards the arcade than the sim in my view. Setup and handling wise there is just not the complexity to bring it up towards the true sim level. However, that is fine as far as I am concerned as it was never meant to be a hardcore sim but rather something that anyone can pick up and get comfortable with. It has enough to keep plenty of us (especially those that are restricted to the console area) playing and enjoying it many months after it's release.

If Grid Autosport can just improve on certain aspects of it then I am sure it will find a good audience.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | Engineer at Manor Racing Premium Member

A majority of the members here are probably more informed than I am, but I think that F1 would qualify as sim-cade also. It's accessible to people who don't want the hardcore sim experience, which is what I believe Autosport will shoot for too.

11. Rob

Rob

Good stuff. I agree. And wanted to give you a preview of what the adjustments will be like in GRID A/S. Take a look at this at 0.23 mins. Looks like it's not too deep, but just about on par with F1 except for maybe the gearing. However, you can adjust the differential. All of them on a sliding scale, like F1.
    (Also notice that the cars don't take damage that easily when they touch. That's a good sign, IMO, because there is a deep damage model somewhere in there, but no pits. Also, the cockpit view is nice. You have to go to the replay part to get glimpses of it, since this guy is using the dash cam, not the wider angle cockpit cam.)

• Beer Beer x 1
  12. Mmm what exactly is this "fall off understeer" problem many had with F1 2013 ??
    By the way if Grid Autosport has slightly better physic than Grid 1 then i guess we should more than happy enough since its a simcade .. its not hardcore sim racing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rob

Rob

Personally, I can vouch that before my wheel settings, both on and off wheel, were adjusted correctly, some corners you would see the FF just disappear if you got to a certain G Force. It was entirely unrealistic (and what they talk about correcting in GRID: Autosport) because normal cars lose grip in increments, unless you hit a patch of ice or something. But that's what it felt like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. That's what I was wondering. I am very happy with F1 2013's handling. I am not a pc guy so, maybe I am not in "tune" with the handling as much as others.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grid 1 had me hooked for around 2/3 years and was the first racing game I played properly since CM Rally 1. It led to me buying my G25, which is still going strong after 6 years of my sweaty palms!

As mentioned by most people, both current Grid's are defintiely not sims (albeit sparingly, I've played race 07, rFactor to compare etc) but Grid 1 had this turn up play system where there was no setups and no faffing about, you just got straight into a race. The touring cars were the most popular choice and once you got a decent room with equally skilled people, you were in for a long night at the wheel. I burnt hours each day racing the same people in the same exact cars with no worry that somebpody had a better setup. It was always about the driver skills (well, post 1.3 anyway) and everyone who I know played that game stayed with it for a long time. Once of the biggest mistakes CM made with its Grid community was turning the PC/PS3 servers off as they didn't want to renew the contract with their provider.

Then about 2 years later they released Grid 2 and what a disaster that was. They completely changed the handling model, meaning you could drift your car around the corners and it would be faster than a smooth racing line. I mean, seriously WTF!? The players that stuck by CM, even after the server shutdown, were seriously dispappointed in the approach they took with Grid 2. I managed to race around 400+ online races and that was purely on the fact that I wanted to like this game. I'd spent my hard earned dineros on it and I was trying to convince myself I liked it. I didn't, and it was swiftly uninstalled and never played again until the announcement of Grid Autosport.

It was missing so many things that made Grid 1 brilliant - the online lobbies, the text chat system (basic I know, but missing from G2 and the new GAS), the kick vote system and the actual close racing based on the arcade handling model. Grid 1 was brilliant so I'm hoping that CM get it right with this because if they don't, after all the feedback that they said they have listened too, for me it will be the last Codemasters game I buy.

As a side note, I'm currently playing Assetto Corsa therefore GAS will have to be bloody brilliant to take me away from this!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob

Rob

Neil, I don't think GRID A/S will be able to compare to Assetto (I'm jealous there, since I'm more of a SIM guy). But for those of us, like me, on the x360, I think we are hoping to have the experience you describe and I am trying to generate interest here that will allow enough of us to compete in a series (like they do over in the F1 section) in GRID Autosport. That would give anybody the satisfaction of knowing that they are racing against a bunch of clean guys who they can get to know (now, through this nice site) and compete against ina league or leagues that are created for all platforms. I will be driving the xbox one hopefully.

Although you have more gaming experience than I do, I agree, GRID2 was a massive letdown. I seriously thought that had so much potential and could be better than any other non series specific racer out there. Forza, I learned, was just nice to look at. While F1 is great, I yearn to race other types of cars, especially Touring and Indy.

For sure GRID A/S will not be perfect, but it's based on the same EGO engine that F1 2013 is driven off of. Tough call here, because so was F1 2013, so same engine does not mean same feel, obviously. But I'm banking on Codemasters' guilt over what they did in GRID2 to make the handling in GRID A/S right. If it is, we could get back to those hundreds upon hundreds of hours of fun like you had before. I'll do my best to organize some competition if the game has enough players. (I have never had any luck with on-line lobbies since they tend to be demolition derbies.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rob

Rob

Some interesting history:

On 5 April 2010, Reliance Big Entertainment, an Indian company acquired a 50% stake in the company. On 3 June 2011, the Codemasters.com website was breached. It is believed that the attacker was able to gain access to the personal information of registered users with Codemasters accounts. Codemasters notified its users about the attack via email on 10 June 2011, after which their websites were pulled down and users redirected to their Facebook page.

In mid-2012, it was announced that Codemasters' racing games, whether about to be produced or developed, would begin to be branded under the 'Codemasters Racing' label. Dirt: Showdown and F1 2012 were the first racing titles to receive the new label name.

On 9 June 2013,Reliance Big Entertainment has increased its stake in Codemasters from 50% to 60.41%, making Reliance the majority owner.

Codemasters Southam, the primary studio and company headquarters.
    Codemasters Birmingham
    , acquired from Swordfish Studios in November 2008. Developers of F1 games. Located in Tricorn House, Edgbaston.

• Beer Beer x 2
  18. Thanks for the tips but whats this suppose to mean ?? :whistling: Can i take this information to grant a 50% discount buying the Grid Autosport ?? Or the discount only available for Indian buyer ?? :D

19. Rob

Rob

I just hope Southam starts listening to some of the genius at Birmingham.