How Do You Record a Replay?

I saved a replay from a practice session where I used my Oculus Rift. I went into Settings and changed the Rendering Mode to Single Screen. Then started recording using GeForce Overlay and started viewing a saved replay. The audio got recorded but the video only showed the screen used to start the replay. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the in-game hot keys for GeForce Overlay don't work when you're in a race or viewing a replay.

My searches only found a couple threads that mentioned Fraps and those threads were many years old. I looked into Fraps but the latest version only says it's compatible with Windows 7.

What method do you use to record replays? Thanks!

I saved a replay from a practice session where I used my Oculus Rift. I went into Settings and changed the Rendering Mode to Single Screen. Then started recording using GeForce Overlay and started viewing a saved replay. The audio got recorded but the video only showed the screen used to start the replay. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the in-game hot keys for GeForce Overlay don't work when you're in a race or viewing a replay.

My searches only found a couple threads that mentioned Fraps and those threads were many years old. I looked into Fraps but the latest version only says it's compatible with Windows 7.

What method do you use to record replays? Thanks!
Shadow play from Nvidia. Not sure if that is what you are using, but it should recognize the correct window.

Are you running the game in fullscreen mode?

I didn't know there was any other way. The recording was made with Rendering Mode set to Oculus Rift. I'm trying to record the replay with Rendering Mode set to Single Screen and the resolution is 1920 x 1080.

Any time I'm not racing or viewing a replay I can hit Alt-Z and bring up the GeForce Overlay menu. But while racing or viewing a replay I can't access the Overlay menu and it doesn't record what I'm seeing. It just records the audio I'm hearing and menu screen I was in before the race or replay started.

I personally use this(free, open source)
https://obsproject.com/

You can stream or record. It allow you to record with multiple windows & chroma screen(add transparency) on the go instead of recording them separately & sync it. You have the option to use the GPU encoder which is the NVENC H.264 for Nvidia GPU for minimal CPU usage. You can bump up the bitrate to counter the low quality compression used on GPU.

Although webcam have a input lag of 45ms exactly & I recommend to add a filter of 45ms of render delay on the game capture to get a perfect sync if you record your pedal cam. You can also add the same delay on the audio or leave it as it is, although it can be different on various game.

You can also use the compressor feature for the desktop audio for mic usage & which reduce the desktop audio volume to put priority on the mic source when you speak.

I personally use this(free, open source)
https://obsproject.com/

You can stream or record. It allow you to record with multiple windows & chroma screen(add transparency) on the go instead of recording them separately & sync it. You have the option to use the GPU encoder which is the NVENC H.264 for Nvidia GPU for minimal CPU usage. You can bump up the bitrate to counter the low quality compression used on GPU.

Although webcam have a input lag of 45ms exactly & I recommend to add a filter of 45ms of render delay on the game capture to get a perfect sync if you record your pedal cam. You can also add the same delay on the audio or leave it as it is, although it can be different on various game.

You can also use the compressor feature for the desktop audio for mic usage & which reduce the desktop audio volume to put priority on the mic source when you speak.

Thanks! How do you record the pedal cam?

I didn't know there was any other way. The recording was made with Rendering Mode set to Oculus Rift. I'm trying to record the replay with Rendering Mode set to Single Screen and the resolution is 1920 x 1080.

Any time I'm not racing or viewing a replay I can hit Alt-Z and bring up the GeForce Overlay menu. But while racing or viewing a replay I can't access the Overlay menu and it doesn't record what I'm seeing. It just records the audio I'm hearing and menu screen I was in before the race or replay started.

I use the same setup. Race using a rift, and then record replays using the Geforce overlay. I've had no issues with this. However, I have had to run the game in window mode ever since the Win 10 Fall Creators update. When the game is in windowed mode I have no issue accessing the Alt+Z menu. So that may be a good place to start looking for answers.

As an aside, I also use OBS as suggested by 3GeForce. When recording footage from AC in windowed mode, you need to make sure you alt-tab back into the game window after you start recording/streaming in OBS, or it just sees a black screen.

I use Fraps but I always leave AC set to Rift mode. I have to disable all but the Rift in audio devices or I get some strange audio bugs. If you can't get the replay to work in single screen mode you could just set the Rift down on a surface and then start the replay in Rift mode, it should be more or less the same as single screen.

Oh yeah there's some quirk to know when to record with obs. You need 2 separate sources if you want to record both gui & the game source.

At the bottom you add Window Capture->AssettoCorsa.exe for the gui source.

Just above it you add Game Capture->ACS.exe to record the game source.

It's a bit like photoshop & you can add multiple layer or source.

The gui tend to reset, so you got to click on the property on the source to rebind the capture source.

Capture card, webcam is a video source. Display capture is limited to 30fps.

Useful for other games.
You can use the browser source to show the gamepad that can be added as source by simply pasting the generated url. It will automatically add the chroma. Be sure to adjust the framerate to the same rate as your monitor refresh rate.
https://gamepadviewer.com/#generate

As for the keyboard/mouse capture I personally use Nohboard. You right click on the source, chose filter & add a chroma key filter as filter effect.
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/nohboard.44/

Oh yeah there's some quirk to know when to record with obs. You need 2 separate sources if you want to record both gui & the game source.

At the bottom you add Window Capture->AssettoCorsa.exe for the gui source.

Just above it you add Game Capture->ACS.exe to record the game source.

It's a bit like photoshop & you can add multiple layer or source.

The gui tend to reset, so you got to click on the property on the source to rebind the capture source.

Capture card, webcam is a video source. Display capture is limited to 30fps.

Useful for other games.
You can use the browser source to show the gamepad that can be added as source by simply pasting the generated url. It will automatically add the chroma. Be sure to adjust the framerate to the same rate as your monitor refresh rate.
https://gamepadviewer.com/#generate

As for the keyboard/mouse capture I personally use Nohboard. You right click on the source, chose filter & add a chroma key filter as filter effect.
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/nohboard.44/

Great information, thanks! I definitely want to learn how to use OBS. But for right now I just want to post a recording of my replay so I can get help with my lap times at Spa. Thanks to @learningtobelost I found out why I couldn't use GeForce Overlay. I simply had to deselect Fullscreen Rendering in the display settings.

I use the same setup. Race using a rift, and then record replays using the Geforce overlay. I've had no issues with this. However, I have had to run the game in window mode ever since the Win 10 Fall Creators update. When the game is in windowed mode I have no issue accessing the Alt+Z menu. So that may be a good place to start looking for answers.

As an aside, I also use OBS as suggested by 3GeForce. When recording footage from AC in windowed mode, you need to make sure you alt-tab back into the game window after you start recording/streaming in OBS, or it just sees a black screen.

I'm not sure if AC has a Windowed setting. But you got me going down the right path. Deselecting Fullscreen Rendering in the display settings allowed me to access the GeForce Overlay menu while racing and viewing a replay. I can now record my replay!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

I use Geforce experience all the time, with great results, and used to have no issues.

Been on holiday for 2 weeks and tried to record a race last night, and ran into same issue of not being able to use the hot keys once in-game (but fine on desktop).

Alt-Tab I noticed today, sorted the issue as has been stated above :)

I use Geforce experience all the time, with great results, and used to have no issues.

Been on holiday for 2 weeks and tried to record a race last night, and ran into same issue of not being able to use the hot keys once in-game (but fine on desktop).

Alt-Tab I noticed today, sorted the issue as has been stated above :)

My issue was I had Fullscreen Rendering selected in display settings. No Windows commands work when you're in Fullscreen mode. After I deselected that, I have no issues with GeForce Overlay and no need to Alt-Tab. The Alt-Tab reference above was referring to using OBS.

What ever you use, just go get a copy of Handbrake to reduce the file size.
You can also use Virtualdub to snip and join files as needed.
Both are free and work well.
When I made some comparisons with and without handbrake I couldnt see much difference. Motion blur on made much more of a difference for me for reducing fog. I've started recording at 30fps rather than 60fps since I got my Rift as well and it doesn't look too bad and means I can crank the graphics settings.

Last edited:
Great information, thanks! I definitely want to learn how to use OBS. But for right now I just want to post a recording of my replay so I can get help with my lap times at Spa. Thanks to @learningtobelost I found out why I couldn't use GeForce Overlay. I simply had to deselect Fullscreen Rendering in the display settings.

OBS is really easy to use and pretty flexible in what it can do too, I love it. This video will show you how to set it up to record VR gameplay, once you have it setup it's as easy as pressing your chosen hotkey to start or stop recording/streaming.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 292 13.4%