How do I find and Join a Server

Hi All
Sorry about this, I do feel a bit daft, but I cannot work out how to join one of the race department servers in GTL (or any other racing game!). I am probably missing something simple here, I am a registered member and have the server passwords etc, but I just can't seem to workout how to join them. Is it done in game, or do I have to enter something into a console?

I would be grateful if someone could help, as in 2012 I hope to be joining some online racing

Many thanks
Mark

Hi,

After you signed up in one of the various racing club threads you can go to the game. Select "multiplayer" -> find the server name that is posted in the event thread and click to join it -> fill in the password and off you go :)

Hi All
Sorry about this, I do feel a bit daft, but I cannot work out how to join one of the race department servers in GTL (or any other racing game!). I am probably missing something simple here, I am a registered member and have the server passwords etc, but I just can't seem to workout how to join them. Is it done in game, or do I have to enter something into a console?

I would be grateful if someone could help, as in 2012 I hope to be joining some online racing

Many thanks
Mark

Welcome Mark

As Bram said, go to Multiplayer and then click on... Online or something :D. Not LAN in any case. And you'll see the RD server in the list

RD GTL server is up at all times over the holidays, so you should be able to see it. If you can't, you're probably using a different lobby. In that case, download this file, and put it in your GTL directory: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6335348/LOCAL_IP_LOBBY.TXT
If you already have one of those, back it up first.

There will be a race tonight at 20 GMT, feel free to join us, even if it's just for testing how to connect :)

Just to add to the great advice posted above, I would highly recommend TEAMSPEAK, its a free download, and it means you can connect and chat with others RD members. Often you'll find people are on there and even if they are not in the game you need help with I am sure if you join their channel most would be pleased to help should you have problems - and talking live with people is much faster and solves problems far quicker than struggling on and getting frustrated, because at first all the various options can seem confusing - so don't feel daft!
The only two things I would say to watch for if you do join RD Teamspeak are :
1 - Ideally don't join any RD channel that includes League, Friendly Development Series or Team in the channel name - these channels generally are where either a League Event is happening,a Training Event is in progress or are Reserved for Members of Teams so the people in there may be fully focused and may need all their concentration.
2. - If you do join a channel - say Hi and then ask if its convenient for them to talk - I say that because some people find chatting distracting whilst driving - especially if you have a question thats going to take concentration - of course some chat all the way through races and join just to have a laugh and get to know each other.

Finally welcome to RD and if you see me in Teamspeak Feel free to drop in and say Hi, can't guarantee I'll make any sense or solve any problems but you'll definitely not regret having teamspeak.

Hi All

Many thanks for the advice - I will be joining you soon.. . In accordance with 'sods law' my motherboard on my PC failed this afternoon (I am using my netbook to write this) so I am sans PC at the moment. I intend to get a replacement board ASAP

Many thanks for all all of your help - I did plan on a marathon racing session tonight but I don't think my netbook would cope!!

Thanks again

Mark

Haveing just visted a GTL download site . altbierbude.... i saw in the side coloums the servers running and if people were in them..
i thought it was a good idea as i often need to switch on the sim to find out if any body is in the server...and then the same process for race07...
is there any way we could have something like this or a seperate page to display who on the servers..
just a thought... proberly been discussed so many times before...:)

Just to add to the great advice posted above, I would highly recommend TEAMSPEAK, its a free download, and it means you can connect and chat with others RD members. Often you'll find people are on there and even if they are not in the game you need help with I am sure if you join their channel most would be pleased to help should you have problems - and talking live with people is much faster and solves problems far quicker than struggling on and getting frustrated, because at first all the various options can seem confusing - so don't feel daft!
The only two things I would say to watch for if you do join RD Teamspeak are :
1 - Ideally don't join any RD channel that includes League, Friendly Development Series or Team in the channel name - these channels generally are where either a League Event is happening,a Training Event is in progress or are Reserved for Members of Teams so the people in there may be fully focused and may need all their concentration.
2. - If you do join a channel - say Hi and then ask if its convenient for them to talk - I say that because some people find chatting distracting whilst driving - especially if you have a question thats going to take concentration - of course some chat all the way through races and join just to have a laugh and get to know each other.

Finally welcome to RD and if you see me in Teamspeak Feel free to drop in and say Hi, can't guarantee I'll make any sense or solve any problems but you'll definitely not regret having teamspeak.
Where can i find teamspeak info?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years