F1 2017 How did a F2002 mod from AC end up in F1 2017???

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you stole a design from Ferrari and FOM and now you're crying that codmemasters stole your 3D model.

You know I'm not to condone stealing, but I think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
A single F1 car has nothing to do with FOM. That's why game makers that aren't Codemasters are allowed to bring one car of each year to their game.

Creating a model in 3d of a real product is not stealing. Look at the RD download section. If they were illegal they would not be there. What s illegal is using the branding of for example Ferrari and wanting money for your product. If you want to do this, like for example @chargingcar does in his mods, you have to change the licensing, create a new brand.

Regardless, the design isn't his and the only reason people are interested in the design is because it's a Ferrari.

Besides, Codies got the model from TurboSquid, so the model is royalty-free. And Codies paid good money for the Ferrari licensing from FOM.

I bet Codemasters made some microadjustments, nothing more ...
The polys are 99%+ identical ... this is a slightly modified copy, nothing more ...

You have also to see that the original AC mod violates copyright laws as well (even it is noncommercial, the product was distributed all over the place), so I guess suing them will backfire
Nothing related to this situation at all but is your profile pic a pone? :O [](/colgatesilly)

If he's giving the model away for free, he can't then claim that it was stolen. Royalty free means it can be used for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise.
I think you're probably a 'new' user then or not used to the modding community.
You're allowed to use the mod as intended by the modeller. Reproduction for other games etc must be allowed -and- credits be given to the original creator.

Commercial use of a gift to the community ain't right.
If you create some kind of software for the community for free, and a software company copies it and makes money with it, without crediting you or telling you they're using it. That's just plain wrong.

I think you're probably a 'new' user then or not used to the modding community.
You're allowed to use the mod as intended by the modeller. Reproduction for other games etc must be allowed -and- credits be given to the original creator.

Commercial use of a gift to the community ain't right.
If you create some kind of software for the community for free, and a software company copies it and makes money with it, without crediting you or telling you they're using it. That's just plain wrong.

No I'm not new to the modding community. Copyright infringement is copyright Infridgemet regardless of whether you're distributing it for free or charging money for it.

The fact of the matter is that Codies had to pay for the ability to sell a Ferrari car, and any modder who disseminates the same model for free competes with them and causes a loss of income. That's just plain wrong.

No I'm not new to the modding community. Copyright infringement is copyright Infridgemet regardless of whether you're distributing it for free or charging money for it.

The fact of the matter is that Codies had to pay for the ability to sell a Ferrari car, and any modder who disseminates the same model for free competes with them and causes a loss of income. That's just plain wrong.
I think Codemasters won't get a loss in income from a modder who modded himself a mod for free for another game for another audience (I think F1 2017 and AC have different audiences). Aad what a statement would that be, that Codie gets loss in income from a freelancer who makes better models than a huge company with hundreds of employees.

@Some_Guy_Here While you are wording things wrong, you are correct that the original mod was stealing IP from Ferrari. It's probably the wrong word, creating a copy of the real car and distributing it is illegal without the correct licencing.

Modding exists in a legal grey area, where manufactures turn a blind eye to the activities of modders for a variety of reasons, mostly because it isn't worth the expense of chasing them. But they have acted before to protect there rights, most notably Porsche with the Carrera Cup mod for rFactor 2.

However, this doesn't change that the ownership of the model belongs to @SalamanderSoldier, and it appears that Codemasters used it without proper licencing. The model being available on Turbosquid does muddy the issue, and most likely will mean that all he'll get is the model purchased from there.

AC and F1 2017 are no competitors, completely different user base. Also AC is no F1 simulator. One car mod will not lower sales of an F1 game, heck I even believe 99% of Codies audience would've never heard of this mod or even AC.
If you sell something or must be your intellectual property. This car hasn't been made by any 3d modeller working for Codemasters. So Codemasters cannot claim ownership of the 3d model. Codemasters can only claim ownership of a Ferrari license.

I don't believe that you'd be happy if you created a 3d model of a Samsung s8, then Codemasters comes and uses it in their F1 games as communication device because they took a license with Samsung.

Codemasters should've recreated the phone themselves instead of using a 'factually illegal' model available on the internet somewhere.
What they should've done was:
1. Asking for permission and paying for the design +urging to remove the AC mod.

Or
2. Create a new 3d model on their own and pay their modellers a wage. and maybe ask Ferrari to take down the AC mod.

Not
3. Taking a model online for free and earn a profit.

The problem with the 'factually illegal' mod by this modeller is something for the Ferrari legal department, not for Codemasters.

Last edited:
@Some_Guy_Here While you are wording things wrong, you are correct that the original mod was stealing IP from Ferrari. It's probably the wrong word, creating a copy of the real car and distributing it is illegal without the correct licencing.

Modding exists in a legal grey area, where manufactures turn a blind eye to the activities of modders for a variety of reasons, mostly because it isn't worth the expense of chasing them. But they have acted before to protect there rights, most notably Porsche with the Carrera Cup mod for rFactor 2.

However, this doesn't change that the ownership of the model belongs to @SalamanderSoldier, and it appears that Codemasters used it without proper licencing. The model being available on Turbosquid does muddy the issue, and most likely will mean that all he'll get is the model purchased from there.

Thank you. This is what I've been getting at all along. The mod did steal ip from Ferrari and his ability to disseminate it rests on FOM turning a blind eye. As you've correctly pointed out modding of the type bring discussed here is strictly speaking not legal, nor is it without moral or ethical implications.

Hence my pointing out that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

AC and F1 2017 are no competitors, completely different user base. Also AC is no F1 simulator. One car mod will not lower sales of an F1 game, heck I even believe 99% of Codies audience would've never heard of this mod or even AC.
If you sell something or must be your intellectual property. This car hasn't been made by any 3d modeller working for Codemasters. So Codemasters cannot claim ownership of the 3d model. Codemasters can only claim ownership of a Ferrari license.

I don't believe that you'd be happy if you created a 3d model of a Samsung s8, then Codemasters comes and uses it in their F1 games as communication device because they took a license with Samsung.

Codemasters should've recreated the phone themselves instead of using a 'factually illegal' model available on the internet somewhere.
What they should've done was:
1. Asking for permission and paying for the design +urging to remove the AC mod.

Or
2. Create a new 3d model on their own and pay their modellers a wage. and maybe ask Ferrari to take down the AC mod.

Not
3. Taking a model online for free and earn a profit.

The problem with the 'factually illegal' mod by this modeller is something for the Ferrari legal department, not for Codemasters.

Whether this mod has resulted in a loss of income for Codies would be for the courts to decide, if it even did go to court.

The fact of the matter is that codemasters have a stronger case for a loss of income than this modder. In fact, the modder cannot claim to have suffered a loss of income at all since he has no right to make money from his mod.

The best the modder could do is ask Codies to pay him for his modelling work, and I believe Codies have already paid him for the model.

Whether this mod has resulted in a loss of income for Codies would be for the courts to decide, if it even did go to court.

The fact of the matter is that codemasters have a stronger case for a loss of income than this modder. In fact, the modder cannot claim to have suffered a loss of income at all since he has no right to make money from his mod.

The best the modder could do is ask Codies to pay him for his modelling work, and I believe Codies have already paid him for the model.
Codies haven't paid me a dime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 116 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 91 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 83 9.3%
  • < 4 years