F1 2017 How did a F2002 mod from AC end up in F1 2017???

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Status
Not open for further replies.
9wZpoWl.png

So Sal's F2008 confirmed for F1 2018 then? :D

On a more serious note, this is pretty disgusting. Yes, they can buy it through TurboSquid *as a gesture of good will* (suggesting that it is unnecessary for them and that Codemasters is kindly rewarding you for them stealing your work?), but as Scott said, by including your geometry in a paid product, they've already broken the terms of sale on TurboSquid surely?

I sympathise with SalamanderSoldier, because it is an awesome model, and CM used it against the terms they obtained it for.

I am all for open access for modding, so from a personal level I love what he has done.

However, if I were him, I wouldn't pursue this any further, because
1. He released the model as part of an F1 mod which isn't licensed, which opens him up to a case from FOM.
2. He advertises it on TurboSquid with Ferrari skins/branding, which opens him up to a case from Ferrari.

So, basically he's gonna get the **** countersued out of him if he takes it any further. He's no more on the right side of the legal fence than they are, and they have a lot more financial clout (lawyers etc.) than he has, unless he's Bill Gates.

Not a criticism at all. Call it "advice".

by including your geometry in a paid product, they've already broken the terms of sale on TurboSquid surely?

Nope.
Not defending Codemasters at all here, it's pretty sad that they need to rely on a talented modder/modeler for a featured asset. They definitely should have purchased the asset ahead of time instead of claiming they got it from a free source. But, assets purchased on Turbosquid are royalty free, meaning they can be used commercially in any product. See terms: https://blog.turbosquid.com/royalty-free-license

Thus, any model you sell there can end up in almost any game. The only restriction on this particular asset is it is marked for Editorial Usage only, Info here: https://blog.turbosquid.com/royalty-free-license/#Editorial-Usage-tip This is likely marked this way because it can't be used freely in most commercial products without the proper licensing. I'm assuming Codemasters obtained the proper license for using the F2002 likeness without some of the sponsors in the game.

They go out of their way to make their game unmoddable in the name of licenses/rights while at the same time swipping a modder's original work and SELLING it as their own. What hypocrisy, incredible. Had a RD member just shared the original 3D work without credit he would have been reprimanded.

This is all so funny...
The guy that made the mod has broken ‘copyright law’.
It stops and starts with him.
If you do not believe that fact, contact Ferrari.
Ask them, ‘Is it ok if I make a model of one of your cars to put in a game? Oh, for free, as in I am not going to pay you. And I am going to put in on the internet so I can share it with other gamers?”
What do you think they will say?
In fact, not just Ferrari ask any car maker.
They will tell you that the design belongs to them, etc, etc..
All cars made by mods are an infringement of copyright law etc.
All of them.
Tough if you don’t like it.
Stealing is stealing.
No matter how you try to spin it.
The guy stole Ferrari’s design, which bit of that does know one understand?
It starts and stops with him.
He is lucky that Codemasters has been so ‘understanding’...
Ferrari would not be..
Just ask them.

This is all so funny...
Ask them, ‘Is it ok if I make a model of one of your cars to put in a game? Oh, for free, as in I am not going to pay you. And I am going to put in on the internet so I can share it with other gamers?”
All of them.
Stealing is stealing.
Ferrari would not be..
Just ask them.
So basically what your saying his every single time you download a mod your actually steeling copyright , so how many times you actually stole stuff ? because I have downloaded 1000,s of free mods .

This is all so funny...
All of them.
Stealing is stealing.
Ferrari would not be..
Just ask them.

I don't think you're going to find much support for your views on the topic here, especially with that accusatory tone. Modding has been a part of Sim racing from the beginning, and the vast, vast majority of sim racers see nothing wrong with recreating real world cars as long as they are released for free and are not being sold. Regardless of your views on the subject, calling recreating a real world car for a free mod 'stealing' is just ridiculous. Infringing on intellectual property maybe, but outright stealing? Get real.

You have some valid points, but your hostile tone is unnecessary and off putting. He may have to just suck it up and move on, having no legal footing to stand on, but that doesn't make what happened sting any less to the creator of the mod. I can't even begin to guess the amount of his time he put into creating it.

This is all so funny...
All of them.
Stealing is stealing.
Ferrari would not be..
Just ask them.
Its hard to follow your story

This is all so funny...
All of them.
Stealing is stealing.
Ferrari would not be..
Just ask them.
You better get lost from RD and from AC community. Ppl (we) are trying hard for you, and all you came up, is this?

Last edited:
I sympathise with SalamanderSoldier, because it is an awesome model, and CM used it against the terms they obtained it for.

I am all for open access for modding, so from a personal level I love what he has done.

However, if I were him, I wouldn't pursue this any further, because
1. He released the model as part of an F1 mod which isn't licensed, which opens him up to a case from FOM.
2. He advertises it on TurboSquid with Ferrari skins/branding, which opens him up to a case from Ferrari.
It is not in any way different than if Codemasters hired an artist to do the work and they had actually done it. Creating the model is what's getting paid for, not the licensing.

3D modeling is about choices. You make a choice to add in X amount of polygons so you can properly represent the object you're trying to recreate. It's an individual choice how much or how little you want to add in any particular area. I modeled the F2002 for an Assetto Corsa mod that was released on Jan 22 2016. There was a WIP thread on the Assetto Corsa forums that shows the progress. My aim was to have a model that was around 130000 triangles which would give you good performance (FPS) yet still be visually impressive enough. At the time I had a GTX 560 which was quite an old card but still ran AC well enough. So I had to make modeling choices that could fit well enough into this performance window.

Fast forward to May 17 2017 Codemasters announces classic car content to go with their F1 2017 Game. Now watching the trailer for this my eyes are drawn to, you guessed it the F2002! However it looks all too familiar here. I can see the choices the modeler made to represent the object they were trying to recreate. In fact they made eerily similar choices I did throughout the entire car. I got a sense of déjà vu. Now I didn't want to believe my work was stolen because Codemasters is a well renowned video game developer. They have people to model these things for them right? or at the very least they could ask permission right? Non of those things happened and the game was released on August 25 2017.

The game was very well received and congratulations to the team who worked on this title. Fast forward to the F2002 Assetto Corsa mod where I wanted to update but strangely I come across an Artstation page containing some assets for the F1 2017 game. One of those assets was you guessed it the F2002. Now looking at the wireframe was a dead giveaway that it was indeed my model F2002 that I worked on for months. I could see all the choices this artist made that nearly matched all the same choices I made. My heart sunk and I felt disgusted. So the only thing left to do is contact the artist that and await a response. Days go by with no response except that the Artstation page is now taken down. I've received no response by either the artist or Codemasters as of this time.:(

Below are the comparisons:View attachment 218742 View attachment 218743 View attachment 218748 View attachment 218750 View attachment 218751 View attachment 218752 View attachment 218753 View attachment 218754 View attachment 218755 View attachment 218756

So you stole a design from Ferrari and FOM and now you're crying that codmemasters stole your 3D model.

You know I'm not to condone stealing, but I think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So you stole a design from Ferrari and FOM and now you're crying that codmemasters stole your 3D model.

You know I'm not to condone stealing, but I think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Creating a model in 3d of a real product is not stealing. Look at the RD download section. If they were illegal they would not be there. What s illegal is using the branding of for example Ferrari and wanting money for your product. If you want to do this, like for example @chargingcar does in his mods, you have to change the licensing, create a new brand.

What exactly do you think the term 'stealing' means?

He created a 3D model of a Ferrari F1 car, from scratch, and shared it with the community.

If painted a picture of a Ferrari and shared it online would you call that stealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 212 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%