How are you killing time?

So, how are people 'killing time' whilst we wait patiently for AC? Are other racing sims/games being played solely or maybe there's a TV series that you're glued to? Heading out doors maybe for a spot of kayaking in your thermals?

I've been hooked on the tv show 'Breaking Bad' but have made it to the last season and decided to pace myself - I highly recommend it!

Been playing rfactor 2. Tested out their latest update last night and it seems like an incremental update to the tire physics. Nothing mindblowing, just slightly more grip which translates to an over all better feel. The tires still lack a rubbery/grippy feel that I feel KS always nail

Of course, I love to join in in any NetKar online/offline play when I feel like a blast. Which seems to be every other day at the moment as online is often dry and time trialing solos are getting a bit boring. I have however (finally) started playing with car setups and I've made a fair bit of progress with the osella and replica. Finding the 1800 & 2000 a bit more challenging but my times are improving

Oh, and I think i'm getting addicted to DayZ! I've really gone off of FPS since overdoing it on BF3 over the last couple of years and DayZ is a really refreshing change. It's a zombie apocalypse sim and it really is quite a gripping game. Didnt think i'd like it very much due to fewer and far between targets but its so much more than just a shooter. If you're looking to jump in I'd say wait for DayZ Standalone to be released as it will be easier to setup, play, visually more impressive and cheaper! Should be beta in the next couple of months

Anyways. Hope you guys have been enjoying the calm before the storm, too :)

Cow

Nope. But the fact that Aris had visitied Ferrari last week to measure the 458 again seems to imply that the car content is done. So maybe just spit and polish at this stage re cars and physics.

Sounds like they are working on GUI, multiplayer and damage model, according to the new modding Skype thread.

I guess release of v1 may be soon depending on if KS decide not to include multiplayer, damage, etc.

If this is the case, I'm sure we can live without these options in v1.0, Aris :)

but slowly the wait becomes uncomfortable...

I already get bad dreams...I had 2 bad dreams about AC this night.. one was that stefano gets mad and refuses to continue and kill the project because he don't know how and when to implement all the stuff...

the other one was we got the TD but it was realy realy bad it looked like the old 80s/early90s games.. where you coudln't see 5m far.. and the track rolls along... and that even on ugly 10-16 frames per second or so... only the ffb was more or less good lol ... I believe I came over here in the dream then and wrote about that and how it could be because all the footage from gamescon etc looked so good.. and the answer were grafikbugs etc.. that there were more issues with differend computers then thought,, but that was the reason for the tp... but now the final release will delayed for years...

but well I think that dreams are the result of slowly growing unpatience and fever (you always dream strange stuff in fever :D )

The wait wouldn't be so bad if we at least had a realistic target date to look forward to. Originally we thought we would have TP in September or October with the full game out around Christmas. Its now well into February with no idea of how much longer we must wait even for the TP. I wish that I could somehow make myself stop checking several times a day to see if its been released, I know it can't be good for my mental health to look forward to a damn game so much.

I just keep telling myself that hopefully the end product will be worth the wait and to not post a rant like I just did because it just makes me come across like a snotty, spoiled brat child.

Stefano said it takes a couple weeks when he "started" working on the TD in early january. They started "beta" testing the TD on 18th January (3 weeks today) so I would assume we are quite close :D. He also said it will be out before march so the longest wait is over...All will be good guys :cool: (but remember things can change really fast with software development so don't take it for granted, this all just stuff they posted on Twitter)

There are over 1300 post in the support forum already (while I don't know how many people are actually testing the demo) it seems they wanted to fix quite a few things, not only for the techdemo but for the sim itself...

And I guess they realised that even the techdemo should run quite well before releasing anything because there will be people who take this as a demo no matter what, we all know how crazy the simracing community is or better can be...

And I guess they realised that even the techdemo should run quite well before releasing anything because there will be people who take this as a demo no matter what, we all know how crazy the simracing community is or better can be...

Yes this is absolutely correct, but they didn't just "realise" that... Everyone wants to make a well running, perfect game. But... I myself have delayed mods for twenty times, even if they were betas, cause there are:
1. 19 different elements to focus on
2. always bugs that you can fix
3. always things that you can add
4. always bugs that you must fix on the things you added
5. always things that you can perfect
6. always bugs that you must fix on the things you wanted to perfect
7. you forgot about the 20th element, it wasn't even on the paper
8. -repeat the process with 20 elements

then: you go to the web and just find out that either:
- somebody has published a mod that is 10 orders of magnitude better then the quality you have targeted at... In that case, you rewrite the goals and set the quality bar at 20 magnitudes (repeat from start)
or - you find out an extreamly easy technique that gives you the abilty to create a specific task in a day.. Then you realise you did the same task in 2 months. **Motivation drops** **"if only I was getting money for this" phase starts** you start another project.. and never finish any of them xD

If you ask me how I am spending time waiting for AC... This is how I am spending time xD

btw, TD was finished some time ago, they are doing the closed testing and possibly cleaning some small bugs. I mean 95% of work that is done at the moment is for the 1.0

That sounds quite maddening Nothke!! I can see why some mods get abandoned then. Oh well, one weekend closer now!!

Sorry for being such a pessimist yesterday xD It's not like this every day!

But the feeling of finishing your mod, publishing it, seeing people enjoy it, and just looking at it and wondering "woah, I made this? It was a long bumpy road but I finished it!" can't really match all the things I mentioned before! =) You also meet some nice creative people along the way.. and maybe future contacts =)

So future modders, don't turn around, but just be prepared to endure a long bumpy road ;) I guess it's the same with any other creative subject.

Everyone wants to make a well running, perfect game. But... I myself have delayed mods for twenty times, even if they were betas, cause there are:
1. 19 different elements to focus on
2. always bugs that you can fix
3. always things that you can add
4. always bugs that you must fix on the things you added
5. always things that you can perfect
6. always bugs that you must fix on the things you wanted to perfect
7. you forgot about the 20th element, it wasn't even on the paper
8. -repeat the process with 20 elements

Heh, making lists is the best part of the process, you can write down 19 different things in an afternoon, each of which is necessary, and then it takes a week to deal with each of them. In a decade of adding various cars to various games, I have managed to hit a 'complete' release maybe 6 times. And half of those came about as a result of very strict limits on graphical content. They weren't the best I could do, but that saved them from development hell. Sometimes a state of completeness is better than perfection in all ways, but never finishing every detail.

I dunno about killing time, but I sure do want to brutally kill whoever is responsible for the power in this city, there were 4 blackouts through the day, that alone can be infuriating, but having 4 blackouts while you want to fix stuff in your house, do some progress on your models and have the AC on in what was a really hot day really makes you want to see the world burn. /rant

Now that the power seems to be back I'll see if I can do something productive, if power goes off while I'm modeling again then God help me, I think I'll lose it. /rant² :devilish:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back