Hosting Server - assettocorsa or ded. server?

RasmusP

Premium
Hi,
I have a little question about hosting a server.
So I downloaded the dedicated Server tool from steam but got confused:
You have a server-folder in the normal game folder and you can host a server with that (but my friend couldn't connect :/ ). You can modify all settings with the server manager.

But then you have the dedicated server folder too, where the server manager gets the error "acs.exe not found". But if you edit the cfg's to your liking you can start a server through the "dedicated server"-icon, steam created. What's nice about that: you get the cmd prompt with real time logging so I will check out if my friend can connect to it and if no: I will get a helpful error - I hope...

So question to you: what's the difference between those two types of hosting a server? Is the dedicated server tool really needed and if yes: why does the main game folder includes the server tool too? Oo

Confusing text, I know, but I couldn't explain that any better - sorry for that!

Thankfull for replys!
Rasmus

EDIT: Dedicated Server seems to work! :) Would love to get the servermanager running..

Last edited:
Well we just put up our own Formula 3 Server, from how I set it up (it works) I copied the entire Game Folder and pasted it as another "game" Put all the content etc into your main content files, then put all the content into the Servers content files. Port Forward, edit the cfg files to match the Server Manager and run it. I dont think the dedicated server tool is required, as most servers run a OS anyway, so basically treat it as its a normal computer.

I copied the entire Game Folder and pasted it as another "game" Put all the content etc into your main content files, then put all the content into the Servers content files.
Thanks for your reply!
Any data seems to be different with the normal server files and the dedicated server tool files...
But I found out, that I can edit the cfgs in the normal files with the server manager and copy them into the dedicated server files... End of Story: I hardlinked the cfgs so my order is now:
- assettocorsa main folder->server manager->edit to your liking->start server->exit server
- start dedicated server which takes the hardlinked cfgs.

Works for me, but I am still wondering what's that all about.. For me it looks like the same, but my friend has connection issues with the main folder server...

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back