PC1 Horrible optimization?

Ok, so i've been a long time Team Member and today used my discount and got the release version...

To my horror the horrible optimization is still there.

My GPU sits at 55% usage at the start of the race some times, with CPU load around 80% max, but framerate takes a dive into low 40s...

Something is stalling in the rendering still.

And still, if you add rain, it kills performance without taxing the GPU, something is wrong in the code. Been like this for at least a year now. Still there in release.

Too bad.

Hardware:
GTX 980 SuperClock 1342MHz. 4Gb. VRAM
16Gb. RAM
CPU@4.2 GHz. 4 core

Problem is worse on some tracks, Spa being a notorious problem maker.

Changing settings does little, as you would expect, since both GPU and CPU is underutilized.

Don't go for screenshot quality for PR, if you can't code the damn thing to run properly in motion.

As for the feel of the sim itself, it's still only so-so, but the immersion is nice. Shame it has problems still.

Any ideas on settings?

Else i'll wait, like i've done since being one of the first sponsors on WMD... Because it still feels unfinished.

I found that lowering environmental mapping and reflections has a huge boost to stormy weather fps with AI. If you think about it with 20+ cars all reflecting rain and lightning at full resolution it will show down the system. You have to pause the game to see the downgrade so there is no real loss in fidelity while racing

Yeah. Lowering settings gives some fps. But this is not my grief. My grief is that regardless of settings the engine is incapable of using hardware fully or in an optimal way.

I say again, rendering dropping to 35 fps while GPU is only 65% used is not OK. Some rain effects will hit the CPU and because of the way it is coded, CPU speed will not help at all.

My guess is, that for consoles to even manage the rain effects with their poor video circuitry they HAVE to be put on CPU. Now, the consoles have really low clockspeeds so the obvious choice of putting it on a powerful core is not there. What consoles do have these days though are CPU threads (as it saves power over increased clocks). Thus the engine has been written to offload rendering on multiple CPU threads either voluntarily or by DX optimizations for XBOne (which incidentally may explain the AMD issues as AMD doesnt support them on desktop), causing congestion and thread timing issues, locking the rendering to the speed of the thread switching.

On consoles this keeps the engine afloat at all... On desktop PC it is less optimal...

So you don't think Kunos, ISI, iRacing have q/a teams testing things?
You weren't referring to a QA lead, you said these testers were probably paid, and I say that beta testers in the games you mention (iRacing I don't know though, wasn't part of it) aren't. So if you claim that there are paid beta testers let's see some proof to back up your claim (again).

If I am wrong I am going to send an invoice to Kunos, Reiza and Simbin right away and collect my millions of non-earned beta-testing salary from previous titles.

WMD members/investors are the only paid testers if you consider they get a revenue share and most of them didn't do their properly job leaving all these obvious bugs in, in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that some have been more active roaming forums and blogs spreading their opinions than doing actual testing.

Ironically this is a drawback of WMD model... Because you get heavy investors who push a lot of cash into it from their own pockets you get bias. And heavy bias and personal economic investment at the sizes referred to will stifle internal critique in favor of the investors becoming self proclaimed PR people, to safeguard their substantial investments. So you really get no difference from a traditional publisher deal.

You weren't referring to a QA lead, you said these testers were probably paid, and I say that beta testers in the games you mention (iRacing I don't know though, wasn't part of it) aren't. So if you claim that there are paid beta testers let's see some proof to back up your claim (again).

If I am wrong I am going to send an invoice to Kunos, Reiza and Simbin right away and collect my millions of non-earned beta-testing salary from previous titles.

WMD members/investors are the only paid testers if you consider they get a revenue share and most of them didn't do their properly job leaving all these obvious bugs in, in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that some have been more active roaming forums and blogs spreading their opinions than doing actual testing.

What? Seriously I have no idea what you're banging on about Bram but it sure isn't what I'm talking about. I WAS talking about QA testers. You know those who are paid by a studio to test things before release. It's all common sense stuff.

Personally god knows how some of the bugs got left in, but from what I was testing with my limited time up until Elite Dangerous consumed my life things were progressing nicely (I still wasn't happy with the Ai which was my personal "thing" that I wanted awesome and groundbreaking and yeah I'm gutted, that never happened). But like many others of the 80,000 I wasn't full time testing or anything it was a casual thing so to blame all WMD members is ridiculous, we weren't paid for it, max I could get back after 4million sales is something like 200 quid....what job would you call that paid that meagre amount for work eh? Paid, my arse.

It's posts like this that utterly and completely back up my thoughts that you are not impartial at all on this matter, you may not favour one sim over another but you sure as hell have a beef with anything and anyone connected to SMS/WMD and pCARS!

You keep making my day with your responses. The moment you run out of arguments (you weren't speaking of QA testers) you are getting personal and start to insinuate things again.

I will keep correcting you when you are spreading rumors as facts so be prepared. Back up your claims for once.

It's posts like this that utterly and completely back up my thoughts that you are not impartial at all on this matter, you may not favour one sim over another but you sure as hell have a beef with anything and anyone connected to SMS/WMD and pCARS!
I have beef with anything that includes false advertising indeed, and again try for once browsing other game forums here at RD and you'll find enough threads over the years highlighting such things.

FYI: we are on the blacklist of Codemasters, iRacing and a few other devs as well for speaking up in reviews.

Honesty last the longest and my conscience is so clean it blinks.

You keep making my day with your responses. The moment you run out of arguments (you weren't speaking of QA testers) you are getting personal and start to insinuate things again.

I will keep correcting you when you are spreading rumors as facts so be prepared. Back up your claims for once.

I have beef with anything that includes false advertising indeed, and again try for once browsing other game forums here at RD and you'll find enough threads over the years highlighting such things.

FYI: we are on the blacklist of Codemasters, iRacing and a few other devs as well for speaking up in reviews.

Honesty last the longest and my conscience is so clean it blinks.

No incorrect I was talking about QA testers, find proof in my post that I was talking specifically about unpaid testers like the WMD. How could I when in the sim world WMD is the ONLY one that had unpaid testers so obviously the testers for other sims would be paid. I have the distinct feeling we are not even talking about the same thing any more and will go round and round and round on this issue. Agree to disgaree?

Agreed about false advertising, I'm 100% with you on that, but once again we clearly have a differnt outlook on advertising. The fact that I have never been one to give a stuff about advertising clouds my judgment on the matter, you being more involved in that area...well I'll bow to your judgements on this issue for the sake of once again stopping a round and round argument.

Seems we have completely different mental view points on many things, not hard as I'm quite an odd fellow.

So I'm out of this dicussion and admit I was wrong in all the agenda crap I wrote (although to be fair you havn't addressed my picture in the other thread but I'll leave it), but I still think there's rather too much anti SMS sentiment at times . Seems you get on the tits of a lot of Devs, not specifically a bad thing, but proves you don't single out SMS LOL! ;)

shake hands?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 127 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing