Released Hondsrugring

Excellent :)

Next time you decide to send me the track for testing though, dont send me the BTB folder lol. Its about twice the size of the rF track folder!

I had a drive round last week i think it was, its very well done so far. How far would you say you`ve progressed with the track?

I have made the first object in sketchup and i succeeded to export it in btb. Now i have to learn how to put textures on this object.

Further the track is 95% finished. Some bumps have to be changed. Some terrain work has to be done.

In Sketchup i want to build some houses (3 types), a bridge, a mill and name shields.

Hi Erwin, I'll do that bridge for you. I'm learning some Sketchup too :) This is, what I have for now. I think It will be finished next week. I hope it will work in rFactor too, since I've never played it. Looks very nice in RBR, not too many polygons, lightweight textures too. Consists of couple elements, so it can be resized separately. If you like it, let me know - send me a personal message or write e-mail to marcinjahr@gmail.com
I like your passion to this track :) Good luck!

Attachments

• Erwin_bridge.jpg
    Erwin_bridge.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 232
Adding textures is simple (in Sketchup 6 - I use this one). Select some face you want to add a texture. The faces must appear as white/gray (not blue - if so, right click on "blue" face and choose "Reverse Faces").
Go to menu: File - Import - and browse your PC for .png, .jpg, .psd (unfortunately it does not support .dds, but not very big problem). Choose option "use as texture" before proceding. When you hit "Open", the image will be glued to your mouse pointer. Attach it to the face (dragging till whole face is covered). Voila :) Then you can right-click on the textured face and go to "Position" - scale, turn, etc.
Adding dds instead of jpg's. After you export to Google Earth 4 (.kmz)... I guess you have read a tutorial by Biggles1212 entitled "Making Objects For BTB - full Sketchup tutorial"... If not, I strongly recommend it to you, great! http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/24910-full-tutorial-objects-for-btb-sketchup.html
So, after export, change .kmz to .zip and unpacking the thing, open XPacker, add your object - the file with extension .dae (e.g. yourNewModel.dae) will be in folder "models".
Before that (or in the same time) - go to unpacked kmz/now zip open the folder "images", take the .jpg picture and convert it into .dds. You can name the file as you want (XPacker is quite wise and changes the paths without problems :)
Then add a new Texture to your xpack (the dds file you've just made), make a Material from it and replace Texture material from Sketchup (will be called probably "material0" or "texture0" - the file in xpacker's "Textures" folder will be "texture0.jpg" or similar) with yours. If you save changes, you can delete that skechup's .jpg texture, which is not needed anymore.
I guess I don't need to specify advantages of .dds files and disadvantages of jpg's or png's :)
You can of course use built-in textures from Sketchup - some of them are nice.
Back to Sketchup: after you add a texture from outside, it will be (in panel Materials [go to menu: Window-Materials] in "In Model" tab from the roll-over list. Then simply click the thumbnail and then click another face with the paint bucket. This is so simple :) In that "In Model" you will see all colors/textures you actually see on the screen.
I recommend to put textures to all faces (from one side, you don't need to attach them to both sides of faces) and check it couple times, then after export you will not have textures like "blank_0_0_0.dds" or something like that. Ok, it's nothing too bad, but you have not to delete them from xpack after adding a new object - BTB probably will crash due to missing textures...
The whole process in quite easy, but keep your eye for possible mistakes. I hope you will like it as I do :) When you are not sure, make a backup of "good" xpack and also make a backup of your project before overwriting existing xpack!

Erwin, if you like to test the bridge now, e-mail me and I'll send you the xpack. It's still unfinished, then I don't want to mess the Forum with versions. You can then check how it looks in rF.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%