Honda to withdraw or to be sold.

I see the lack of sponsors and the earth car worked a treat for the F1 side of Honda,

The only good thing that might come of this is we won't have to see that hypocritical twit Nick Fry anymore,funny how the tide turns and he now sings from the same hymn sheet that Super Aguri was.. what goes around comes around...

Honda

It's a sad time to see Honda withdrawing from F1 and one hopes this is not the beginning of an exodus from this sport.
The idea of using a standard design engine will definately not go down well with some manufacturers as they would rather pit their product against other compitition than trying to see how well they can tune a engine to gain advantage.

It is very sad to see Honda pulling out, especially for the hundreds of staff and suppliers involved. Hopefully they can find a buyer soon.

However their results have been pretty embarrassing, including one win that was a result of Raikonnen hitting a back marker whilst leading and throwing it away.

I have to admire the confidence about which some make predictions about an uncertain future.

• Caleb Sturdee

It's a bit sad. Especially for Button and Ross Brawn. I so wanted them so be up the grid next season. They gave up on their 08 car so early this season and put so much into next years car. For them to quit now really sucks. It was very abrupt!

Usually I think Villeneuve's comments are way out there so he makes the F1 news, but what he said about Honda I think may have some weight... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72347

It just seems a really odd decision, there was no warning, just pull the plug. I agree that it may have been a publicity stunt. Also, maybe the business saying of 'any publicity is good publicity' is disproven in Formula 1. When you finish 2nd last it definitely doesn't look good.

I don't think Honda are struggling for money. I think these two factors (Political stunt, and lack of success) would have led them to quit, and the current downturn in demand for motor vehicles was an excuse to get out, so they didn't have to admit they quit because they couldn't win.

Another thing, it's Formula 1!!! It's going to be expensive, and should be, Bernie and Max are completely destroying the pinnacle of racing with all these stupid cost cutting measures. I agree with making passing possible, but standard engines are a joke. Soon they won't be able to beat A1GP cars.

Caleb, i have to agree with you. And as you mentioned, the last thing i want to follow is another A1 type scenario where the team or driver does'nt really matter, as long as they are from your country origin.

Here the Bernies and the Maxes have to start restructuring the whole financial setup in order to keep all the teams in F1 and should start with their own renumerations and then of some of the drivers as well. At present the focus is purely on the cutting costs of the equipment, so they can still enjoy their exorbitant incomes.

Please don't think for one moment that i say these guys don't deserve their incomes, but when a business starts faltering, certain cuts and benefits have to make way, to try and steady the ship.

Fry confident Honda will find a buyer

Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry's confidence is growing that the team will be on the grid for the start of the new Formula One season at the end of March.

Since Honda sent shockwaves through the sport by pulling out of F1 five weeks ago due to the global economic crisis, Fry and team boss Ross Brawn have been involved in talks with a number of prospective new owners.

Fry concedes to being initially sceptical that a resolution would be found, but as time has progressed, his optimism has increased.

"Right at the start of this process (F1 supremo) Bernie Ecclestone said he was 100% confident we'd be on the grid in Melbourne," said Fry to autosport.com.

"I have to say I wasn't quite so sure where his confidence came from.

"But as we've gone through this process my confidence, based on what we've seen, has increased.

"Maybe not to 100%, but it's pretty close, and it has been very gratifying."

Fry confirmed he and Brawn are now in talks with Honda in Japan about which of the offers would represent the best way forward for the company.

"It's looking very positive at the moment," added Fry.

"We had, as you might expect, a huge amount of interest at the start - probably well in excess of 30 groups came to us.

"We have narrowed that down to something in the region of a dozen, and we're currently talking to Honda about what is the best bet for the future."

Fry maintains 'the future' is not just about getting through this season, but from 2010 and beyond.

"Many of the potential owners have been kind enough to talk about this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, to get something which does have the chance to do very well in the next couple of years," remarked Fry.

"In this economic environment it is difficult, there is no doubt about it, and we've got to be careful that we look not just at 2009, which frankly is the least of our worries.

"It really is making sure we have a long-term future for the staff.

"Neither Ross nor I want to stand there and say that everything is fine if, in one or two years' time, we fall flat on our face again.

"So we are really looking towards a two, three, five-year plan for the team."

Apparently the latest word is that the team will be sold to the current management team (basically Ross Brawn and Nick Fry). Interestingly, one name that has been put forward as a possible source of funding is one Michael Schumacher.

Now that WOULD be interesting!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back