holes in track

I have got a major problem with one of my tracks lately and for the life of me can't see what it is. I added a fence usiing single objects (not sobj), drawn with the line tool, Adjusted the position of each and all looks fantastic, the ai drive the track fine but now if I drive it I slam an invisible hole in the which seems to move about between 2 places on the track. I really don't want to remove this fence as it took me nearly 2 weeks to get the pieces lined up properly. I can't remember if the pieces where added in v5 or v6 but problem started in v6.
If I reexport it the hole just moves around. Alltextures display fine, There are no stray polys in wire frame view either in btb or in simmed. really getting frustrated.
the wooden fence behind the car is I think what started it.

Attachments

• GRAB_220 (Medium).JPG
    GRAB_220 (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 298
  • GRAB_219 (Medium).JPG
    GRAB_219 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 272
  • GRAB_218 (Medium).JPG
    GRAB_218 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 295
ok, new project sent not quite the same problem (simmed still crashes) but will try again tomorrow. :)
still uploading, sorry....
Doh! main track is 18meg zipped so will use usendit again. Sorry Brendon.

This appears ok for me, but I think what is happening is that there are too many verts/polys in the one rFactor GMT.

I've attached a wireframe image which shows how this object is overusing polys. A much simpler model would do.

This requires a fix from the maker, but it's a tough thing to do.

In v0.7 I am adding another parameter to the XPack objects that allows the designer of the object to limit how many of these get packed into one rFactor GMT which will hopefully eliminate the problem for models with high polycounts.

Attachments

• Cone.jpg
    Cone.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 197
i think more than 20 polys per guard rail segment are to much. if you use models from www, look first for their mesh. You can found much stuff but 99% is not suitable for gamedesign. you should use meshsmoth funktion for models. somtimes it is enough to have a photorealistic texture. the more you place objects of one, the exact you should look to their constitution. the second, the more far the object, the vague it must be .

look at pribram stage, it isn´t perfect but nobody have ever see it ingame. So it isn´t nessesary to have highpoly model or always very big texture on the objects.

Lamda

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years