1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

HistorX Lotus Vs Alpine @ Hidden Valley - Sun 23rd March 2014

Discussion in 'rFactor Racing Club & Leagues' started by Rupe Wilson, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

[​IMG]

Please Note this is for rFactor 1

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM HistorX
    Class /Cars: Lotus Elan 26R'65 (GTTC A1) vs Renault A110 1600s '70 (GTTC A1)

New download with sand traps you can get out of 23/03/2014
    Track: Hidden Valley ( Download )
    Event name: Sky City Triple Crown
    [​IMG]

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock

practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
    Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 free laps
    Race start time: GMT 20.35 (14 laps)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Practice start time:
    GMT 21:00 (20 mins)
    Qualification start time: GMT 21.10 Free laps
    Race start time: GMT 21.25 (14 laps)

Note 1: Only default liveries or the liveries that come with the mod please
    Note 2: Odd Number Sign ups Race1 = Lotus/ Race2 = Alpine Even number vice versa.
    Note 3: To sign up, Tag me like this - @Rupe Wilson Yes please
    this way i wont miss your sign up:)

Server password: Click here
    Racing rules: Click here

Entry List:
    1. Rupe Wilson - Lotus / Alpine
    2. Jarek Kostowski - Alpine / Lotus
    3. Yves Larose - Lotus / Alpine
    4. Krzysztof Babij - Alpine / Lotus
    5. Andrew Jarnell - Lotus / Alpine
    6. Tim Ling - Alpine / Lotus
    7. Franklin Stegink - Lotus / Alpine
    8. Steve Walker - Alpine / Lotus
    9. Philip Brown - Lotus / Alpine
    10. Denis Betty - Alpine / Lotus
    11. Jacob Boonstra - Lotus / Alpine
    12. Jack Smith - Alpine / Lotus
    13. Driver
    14. Driver
    15. Driver
    16. Driver
    17. Driver
    18. Driver
    19. Driver
    20. Driver

Rules:
    This is being held in our Club, using GTL Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.
    And it is not Touring cars !!!
    For info on HistorX 1.96 click me

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson

I would also like to mention that some of the driving was a bit aggressive for our club.
    We have rules and i expect all driver to stick to them ,
    This is not touring cars so please don't drive like it is.
    drive hard and clean, Tapping other cars in corers to make the pass is not allowed.
    if you cant pass clean and fair you must concede the place and try again.
    Going side by side into a corner both cars must give each other room
    but it is the overtaking cars responsibility to make the clean pass.
    the car on the racing line has the right to the corner and will close to the apex.
    Divebombing into a corner is not allowed.
    You have to be along side of the car before you go into the corner. And i mean along side not just overlapping the rear wheels.
    Remember at least 2 wheels must be on the track (inside the white line) to make a pass going through a corner
    No rail riding the car on the outside of you to make a cheap and dirty pass pushing him off his line.
    And no running car off the track as they try to pass round the outside of a corner on the exit.

Remember we do this for fun and i will not tolerate selfish drivers who have a win at all cost attitude.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Quas

Quas
    Staff Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

6. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

7. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Lol Yves, this one gave me the Alert, still don't know why the multiple ones don't.
    I'll try my best to make this, will confirm in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  8. @Rupe Wilson

Please add me to race nearly a week to practice . No cooked engine this time
    Andy

9. No sure yet if I can make this, but ... was doing some "testing" and having a very difficult time controling the Lotus under braking for turn 1.
    I have set BP to 80% and tried a number if diff. bias settings. It seems to become unstable even without locking the brakes, and then is very sluggish to respond to turn in after brake release, any thoughts?

10. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

i'll do some laps later today and work out a setup so you could try and see if its better for you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Hans Sneep

Hans Sneep
    Premium Member

12. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Interesting that you mention this Phil.
    I decided to spend some quality time testing with the Lotus Elan, admittedly using the default setup.
    For me it was like driving on ice, with the back end letting go all the time. To make matters worse, almost every lap I ended up drifting / sliding into the sand trap. Once in the sand, it was impossible to get out again, but the worst part was that when trying to drive out of the sand, the FFB was rattling my G27 so badly, I feared it would result in damage.

In the end, I just quit trying and went off to calm down, most unlike me. :(
    I'll try once more later, but it's unlikely I'll be joining. Having to get out of bed at 4 AM, I need some confidence I can finish a race and enjoy it, but that seems unlikely for me right now.
    I'll try Yves setups, but if this Sim needs heavily modded setups to stay on track, I probably won't be making the transition.

Strangely, I can drive RBR cars (even Group B) on gravel, snow, even Monte Carlo ice, and maintain car control, but this seems to have me beaten right now, don't know why. :redface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson

Some of the sand traps are "sand traps" and you cant get out of them.
    Funny you should mention this as i have a solution for this. i can mod the track very easily so they can be driven out of.
    After all this is club racing and should be fun not frustration:)
    try this track Warren Click ME
    all i have done is alter the TDF file there are 2 lines of gravel in there

// Gravel
    [FEEDBACK]
    Dry=0.70 Wet=0.50 Resistance=10000.00 BumpAmp=0.070 BumpWavelen=6.0 Legal=false

// Gravel
    [FEEDBACK]
    Dry=0.70 Wet=0.50 Resistance=10000.00 BumpAmp=0.070 BumpWavelen=6.0 Legal=false

i was going into the corners to hot to start with and sliding i had to brake early and get the cars turned in and then i was going good. yes the car does brake free if to much gas is applied to early in the corner.
    They do like to slide but it can be a nice power slide if done correctly.

14. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

@Warren Dawes and @Philip Brown here's what i came up with, in the pack you have the setup and 2 replays, one of my fastest lap with the default setup and the other my fastest lap with the full setup. hope it will help you guy's and anyone else that is struggling with the combo ;)

Download

p.s. it took me 17 laps to come up with the setup so not much difference in time compare to GTL

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rupe, is this modification going to cause a problem online?
    That is to say, do we have to revert to not have a mismatch or something?

16. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

I feel I should apologise for my earlier rant, but frustration got the better of me. My biggest concern was that if I kept going into the sand trap, I'd wreck my G27 (the rattling was horrible :sick: ).
    Yes Rupe, I tried your track mod and it solved the sand trap issue for me, I could drive out of them slowly and my G27 was calm.
    However, I guess most drivers here want max realism, so I wouldn't want you to mod the tracks just for me. I probably need to overcome my inadequacies with this Sim and learn to drive it better (and stay out of the sand :redface:).

Thanks to Yves for his setup (Lotus Elan). I gave it another go with his setup, and found the car much more controllable. Even with only a half dozen laps, my lap time was only about 1.3 secs off Yves, which is somewhere around my usual gap to Yves, so maybe I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm sure Yves will improve that by raceday though ;) .
    More importantly, I was finally able to run about 10 laps without sliding off. :rolleyes:

I'll try the Alpine tomorrow, hopefully it is more friendly to me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Quas

Quas
    Staff Premium Member

I guess it's a matter of preference, Yves is very fast in the Elan, while i find the Alpine easier to drive and ran better times with it than i did in the lotus. I agree that it's pretty hard to get the braking right in that car, that's where the Alpine closes the gap.

Mind you, since the Alpine is rear engined it does oversteer a lot when lifting the throttle but once you use that to your advantage it is a very fun car in my opinion.

The differences in character of the cars make the learning curve a bit steeper but ultimately i think they add to the immersion of the sim.

18. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson

yes it will cause a mismatch online if the d/server and all drivers do not use the same version.
    that why i said try this track:)

The sand traps can be impossible to get out off in some of the tracks in rf1 not all are like this its how the modder/maker has made his track, it has nothing to do with HistorX

Me and Yves have both said it club racing and should be fun for all. a Sand trap should slow you down but not end your race. after all this is club racing.

But i do like the fact you get stuck and also agree with Jarek so im stuck in the middle, maybe if i get stuck in a race in the sand trap my view might change.
    maybe i can find a setting that allows you to drive out slowly as a compromise
    (Default) 50000 and your stuck fast
    10000 and you can drive out with no real problem
    maybe around 20000 and it takes a few more seconds to get out
    trail and error time guys..

We have both said maybe this will stop the last of the late breakers but on the other hand its the guy on the outside that gets knocked off into them.
    but if i see silly moves that put a driver in the sand i will come down hard on the guy for his driving which i don't want to have to do..

for Club racing im am willing to let this go and alter the sand traps so you can drive out of them but maybe for a league it would be good to have them as default.

We can always put it to a vote but i think i should be down to me to say yes or no taking all the feedback in to consideration. Ill carry the can. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Quas

Quas
    Staff Premium Member

What i meant when we were talking about sandtraps is that for me personally it is more convenient to learn where to brake than to modify all tracks. But that doesn't mean at all that i am against changing them :).
    I think we should go with what the majority wants to keep most people interested.

• Like Like x 1