Higher pressures = Faster laptimes? - :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
This never made sense to me. I was messing around with tyre pressures in the Lotus and found that if I run with 30 psi at the front and 31 psi at the rear, I was able to achieve faster laptimes than with the default settings of 26 and 27 :confused:. In all sims I've played, I've always understood that if you want more grip, lower tyre pressures but with the Lotus in AC, I go faster with higher pressures. I did think that perhaps it's linked to the fact that with higher pressures, the car would technically be more responsive, similarly to stiffening suspension so maybe that could be it?

Lower grip also generally means less rolling resistance, so you accelerate better.

It also changes the shape of the contact patch, higher pressure means it's more contact at the center of the tire, lower pressure means more at the edges. I don't know where the ideal is on the Lotus that spreads it evenly, but you do want it across the whole tire so it lasts longer.

Higher pressures mean higher top speed, better acceleration, less rolling resistance etc.

Lower means more grip, higher rolling resistance, etc

As this Elise is a momentum car, ie. you need to carry speed to do a fast lap time, the higher pressures can give you that lap time if you can keep it on the track.

For me I use default pressures and I'm on a 23.301 currently.

The loaded, outer tire needs more pressure on a car with the weight and body roll of an Elise.

Also if there ar no cld and hot pressures simuilated, you have to set the hot pressure I guess, at least that's what makes sense in other sims :unsure:

Here ya go

Attachments

• ScreenShot034_zps350733ed.jpg
    ScreenShot034_zps350733ed.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 628
  • ScreenShot033_zps6239df2a.jpg
    ScreenShot033_zps6239df2a.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 408
hi. does anyone know which folder holds the individual car setups i've made? or is there even such a folder. I tried searching for my setup names but can't seem to find them. the reason i ask is i'm going to share a car setup to a friend and i though it's just a matter of sending him the setup file. thanks

Last edited:
I am doing mid to high 43's with the default setup on super soft tyres... Low 43's are possible though I just can't get it together :p

I am playing with the setup a bit at the moment but it then becomes quite a handful, haven't found anything driveable which makes me really faster yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 239 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years