1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi there fellow simracers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PuffTheMagicBelgian, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I got bored with my regular games (Battlefield series) mostly First person shooters, and didn't really know what to play online anymore, so a friend suggested a Simrace game to me (GTR2) because they where giving it away for free :thumbsup:.

I started driving GTR2 with a Xbox360 wireless game-pad and quickly got frustrated by the lack of control it offered me compared to my friend who was using a wheel (Logitech momo racing force). Even though driving with the game-pad didn't really gave me the feeling of being in the car or actually controlling it at all, i did like the fact that u need to drive it more like a real car compared to the other racing games i had tried by then. (Need 4 speed series, GRID series, etc). The need for caution and car knowledge by tweaking and test running is very interesting to say the least.

After a good week of trial and error i decided it was time to take it a step further and go look around for a Force Feedback wheel. So off to the media market it was.

First time around i came home with a TX Racing wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition with a rotation of 270° i believe. I really liked the look of it and it was cheap :thumbsup:. After 2 days driving it and getting used to the feel of the FFB the brake pedal gave way and broke off completely inside the plastic cover. But i was hooked on the FFB feeling :D.
    The friendly people from the store (Media Market Belgium) recognized the cheap construction errors and let me replace it with another wheel of my choice ---> Driving force GT Logitech was my next bet. This wheel was so much better with it's 900° of rotation and shifter on the side of it. Sadly this wheel had some major problem's, it was wrongly calibrated and none of the buttons worked, it twitched uncontrollably from left to right, long story short, this one needed to go back also.

I convinced myself to spend a little more cash and get the G27 instead, the previous pedals that came with the wheels felt really weak and i was afraid of braking another set. To be honest i am glad the other wheels gave me all those problems, because it kinda forced me to get the G27 and it is a great wheel, and offers so much more feedback compared to the others i used.

So here i am :sneaky:, armed with a G27 and a couple of Sim Racing games ( GTR Evo, GTR2, Assetto Corsa.) Loving every second of it, and learning more about car's and racing in general every day. I had no interest in these type of games before and absolutely no knowledge about cars at all, except how to start my own every day ;).

I must confess that the Simbug infected me and now i am hooked, wanting more every day, like a SimRig, 3 screens, some of the Fanatec stuff, basicly simgear is the new search quest on the internetz these day's :geek:. And i can already tell this new found hobby is gonna set me back a couple of €'s :cautious:.

In closing i would like to state that i found the SimRace community to be a lot more welcoming and patient compared to the FPS community where i come from. Over here people actually give good advice and the "modding" is absolutely awesome, this is something the FPS genre completely lost! So again, Hi all and hope to beat u in a race some day;).

Greetings from Belgium,
    Puff The Magic Belgian
    • Like Like x 3
  2. RaceDepartment

Administrator Staff

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thx ;)
  4. Andrew

Global Moderator Staff Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    Let's just get out there and RACE!! Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thx for the suggestions and warm welcome :thumbsup:

My passion for SimRacing is growing by the day, and at the moment my "want's" are a lot bigger then my wallet :cry:. But i am pretty sure that eventually after i get my first Raceseat (rig) i will need more games:). for the moment my games that i mentioned will do, i will take a look at the Free RD Race licence thx.
  7. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein
    TXL Racing Premium Member

A small tip, if you focus on a driving and club races etc. you won't think that much about new expensive gear ;) I have raced the last 5 years on a single 24" screen with a Logitech G25 and won a lot of races and had a lot of fun. New gear is always nice, but once you get into some real competition it is all forgotten. Ok maybe except that my back starts to hurt on my rubbish chair after a 2 hour stint :roflmao:

P.S. If you already have a Logitech G27 there isn't a lot out there that could make you go faster. Even FSR Chmapionship leader Morgan Morand is using one ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thx for the tips m8, i have the same problem as you with the back pain, and therefore my first purchase will be something that offers comfort. I am also using a 24" screen, its just this frigging chair is killing me @ the moment, and i don't have a solution at hand for the shifter, having it clamped to the desk as the G27 is, makes it an ergonomic hell lolz :D
  9. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein
    TXL Racing Premium Member

Since rF2 I moved completely to paddle shifting and only used it as a button box :) Depending on your seating position it is quite awkward to have it that far up :D
    • Agree Agree x 1