1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Guernsey!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew Harper, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium Member

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd better introduce myself and say hello to everyone on here.

My name's Andrew and although I'm originally from the UK (near Windsor), I've been living on Guernsey for 10 years.

Haven't sim-raced much in recent years but all of a sudden I've caught the bug again.

Playing mostly F1 201x, GTR2, AC, Raceroom, Stockcar Extreme, and also the venerable classic that is GP4.

Having fun mostly with Raceroom Racing Experience at the moment, just a great sim, especially the sound! haha.

I do the odd bit of car skinning artwork, last one I did was a Mazdapeed F1 team for GP4, possibly converting it to F1 2014 if anyone's interested.

I've also modified a Thrustmaster F1 Wheel recently to take an F1SIM display and rotary controls, will post some pictures up on a separate thread. It's not a complete walk through but might give other people ideas. Next step is some hydraulic pedals.

In the "real" world of racing I'm a big fan or sportscar, the racing in LMP and GT in this years WEC has been great, looking forward to Nissan getting in the mix next year as well. The cars are amazing (more so than F1) and as a spectator it's so much more open, which is great.

Still enjoy F1 though and went to my first Grand Prix in ten years last year and made the trip to Abu Dhabi. Fantastic event, 10/10 for the whole weekend, maybe 6/10 for the track itself though! lol

...and hopefully, fingers crossed I may be going racing this year. Only hillclimb and sprint but I'm working all the hours I can to make the budget, so wish me luck!

Many thanks if you've read my post, and hopefully I will be able to answer some problems as well as supplying some useful files or ideas on here.

2. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Hey, I've been to Guernsey, I liked it. I suppose the hillclimb you're on about is the one directly south of St Peter's Port, and Bouley Bay on Jersey :)

3. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium Member

Hiya,

Yep the main hillclimb is Vals De Terres. A short route (about 30 seconds in the quickest cars) but a nice sequence of corners.
    The main sprint is a sequence near Cobo bay, but in the last twelve months the Guernsey Karting club have added one off special events to see if they are popular.
    They did run a sprint round the reservoir on the island. But not sure if that one will happen again! Too much objection from the residents. Fingers crossed it will return though.
    Hoping to join in next year in a superkart. Possibly the best option. Amazing the number of cars that break on the hillclimb (clutch mainly) so a proper race spec machine is an ideal and cheaper option. It's also an awful lot easier to store! :)

4. Hello and welcom to Race Department forum , i watch World Endurance Series , F1 and GT too :D , mostly live on youtube from , GT world , Nissmo Channel now Nissmo TV ,
    this dude who post races , official Blancepan site , ADACZuurich24rannen ADAC Classic 2014: http://youtu.be/CYGrE2wu7AE , i wacthed 24 Le Mans , 24 h Nurburgrinc ect.

I hope somewhere in future , Mazda , Peugot , Jaguar come back in endurance series :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium Member

Hi Mario,

Yep, I've been enjoying the WEC this year. Hasn't been this healthy since the days of the R8. Would love to see the makes you mention come back. But Mazda doesn't have the budget or marketing push I think (and I own an RX7 as well so would love to see them back). PSA group nearly went under the last time they went racing. And the owners of Jaguar don't see Le Mans as a priority.

If any of the above manufacturers made hybrid cars I could see it though.

Having said that though, any of them would be great in LMP2 or the proposed LMP3.

I'm not 100% sure of the back story but Mazdaspeed USA of course run the diesel prototypes and saloons in the US and that's good enough for me! Haha.

I have seen the youtube channel you mention and yes it's great and very useful. If anyone knows of a youtube Channel that shows the super GT championship in Japan that would be awesome. Shame the RE-Amemiya team are not around any more with RX7 but ho hum...