1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Hey guys, is my search over?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AtotehZ, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

I've been searching for a good Sim Racing forum aside from iRacing where you need an active subscription. From the activity on the forum it seems like my search is over. If I'll put money in a 90 min tutor course to support the site I don't know yet, but it's not out of the question.

I was over at isrtv.com, but it's not as active as this forum and moderators have now taken 3 days to activate my account. Not the best first impression for new users.

I have a lot of questions, but I'll try to find what I can on my own first.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Hi and welcome to Race Department. I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty to interest you on the site and any questions you have will hopefully be answered by one of our helpful members.
    You don't mention what games you play, but we cover most racing titles on the site, also of course if you do go premium there's our race clubs and leagues. You can find out about upcoming events here.
    Once welcome hope you enjoy your time here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've raced go-karts (KF2) in real life at an international level. I've also driven in other racing events, but it never amounted to much as you need a solid bankroll to compete. My friend who started driving 2 years after me at the local go-kart track won Le Mans 24h(lmgte am) a few years back.

I miss racing a lot so what I'm looking for is basically to adjust my G27 so well that it'll satisfy my cravings. I know very little about it aside from the basics. I do know that I want to completely eliminate all deadzones and set up/learn to use the brake pedal in such a way that I don't skid out of nowhere. In real life brake control is pretty easy since you can feel the feedback from the pedal, in games I don't feel that kind of control.

I just bought Project Cars. Aside from that I'll be playing rFactor at some point.

I don't have a lot of money at the moment, but if there's a wheel+pedals that's better than the G27 at ~$600 or below I might upgrade if I get proper hooked on sim racing.

4. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'm thinking I'll save rFactor for when I actually have some training with a gaming wheel under the belt :) I know how tough the competition is there. My understanding of rFactor is that the bottom bar is the equivalent of being done racing on local tracks and ready for the nationals. Am I wrong? Regardless thank you for the offer.

6. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

In our case, I think you might be.

We're a pretty broad church of abilities, and it's club racing in simple Historic vehicles (old tyres, basic suspensions, no aero etc.) with enjoyment as top of our priorities ladder. We're a helpful bunch, sharing setups, wheel config tips and the like...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Got to agree with @Stuart Thomson, club racing is a great way to gain experience and get tips from others. The emphasis is not on winning but having fun and learning and the guys in the rF1 club will all be willing to help you make a success of it.
    My own advice would be to go to rF1 before pCars, check out the forum and ask questions.
    Good luck anyway in whatever direction you take.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I might take you up on that then. I'm not quite ready for it yet though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. You also have Assetto Corsa and Automobilista. You can find awesome driving and racing in a couple of titles today. :)