1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with video, please

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Spinelli, Sep 6, 2014.

1. First ever public vid...Can anyone help me on why my video looks so bad compared to other people's videos?

I record using DXTory with the Lagarith Codec (1920x1080). I then use Freemake Video Converter - with the AVI container and the H.264 codec with decent bitrate (I even tried 25,000 kbps) - to covert the video to a smaller file size for uploading purposes. The resulting video still looks good. Then I upload to youtube and it looks like crap compared to other people's videos (for example see simulated heaven's videos). There is so much pixilation and artifacting - even at 1080p - in my video. If you look at the road sort of near the steering wheel, it just looks like a pixelated mess - squares and blurriness everywhere. Same with the sky, and actually pretty much everywhere. Lines like powerlines are also really pixelated and aliased.

Also, there seems to be a lot of aliasing showing up in the video even though it looks great while playing. Do I have to enable the AA from the rF2 config instead of the GPU control panel (Nvidia Inspector) in order for the AA to stick in the video?

2. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein
    TXL Racing Premium Member

3. Yes, I know that youtube lowers the bitrate, and therefore overall quality, massively. But I am comparing my video to other people's youtube videos. It looks like my video's bitrate is lower than others'.

For example, look how clear and better quality the following 2 videos (see below post) are compared to mine:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

4. Also, I am using a very heavy and demanding form of AA (4x Multisampling + 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling) and it looks GREAT while playing, so I don't understand why my video has so much aliasing??....
  5. PaulH

Premium Member

I'm no expert, I just use Fraps, then use Windows Moviemaker(free), here's an older vid of RF2 I did, my game graphics settings are set to max.
    I don't convert it in anyway, just upload the video Moviemaker compresses.