1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Help with tyre cooking

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Barry Morse, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Can some one help me please every race with WTCC/STCC cars i alwasy over cook my tyres from half race point any helps with the setup is it to much camber, preload or steering lock help me please:wink:

2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Some tracks are really intensive on the tyres (barcelona for example), but mostly its a drivingstyle thing. If you run your race like you are in qualification there is a big chance that you will overheat your tyres.

What temperatures do you consider cooking? Optimum temps for touringcars are around 90C, and if you drive a FWD car its most likely that your front tyres heat up faster (or too fast) than a RWD racer.

3. I've consistently struggled with the same problem, and changing my driving style had by far the most dramatic effect. I keep improving my management of the weight transfer.

4. What rotation and steering lock are you running?

5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

If you're driving fwd cars: Turning the wheel too much, driving too hard into the corners, applying too much throttle on the way out are the likely culprits. All easy to do with fwd.

6. ^ I think that also applies to RWD and AWD cars too, lol.

7. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

I guess I don't push the rwd cars that hard, lol.

8. Nowhere near as much because the load is balanced over all the wheels. FWD uses the front tyres for putting the power down, steering and most of the braking and therefore they can get hot easily.

9. around 14 degress steering lock
    and my camber is always arounf 3.7 to 4.1

10. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Turn up the volume on both "tire scrub" and "skid" in the audio options screen. Play with them to get settings that work for you, that will help you understand where the heat is coming from. A tire will hold to the road to about a 10 degree slip angle and then break away. It's not the number of degrees lock that really matters but how you apply it and what gets applied at the same time.

Listen to me, like I'm a fast driver, lol!

11. So are the standard simbin setups good for a race or do they tend to overheat often?
    cause in the short description of those setups, simbin mentiones that it's a steady qalification setup
    but is is any good for a race then....?

12. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Lots of drivers on TS have said in chat that they're using default setups and only making slight changes to them, more to suit personal pref's or their ability to go faster than default! So. I'd guess from what I've seen that they work.

13. thnx Dennis!

I find it quite difficult to find a decent setup on my own
    I always use those standard setups.
    (and even with the standard setup, I'm more than half a second slower than the AI on Brno)
    :-(

small question:
    where can I find the 'thanks for this useful post button'?

14. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Finishing is the aim, one never knows where it will take you.
    ...............................|
    ...............................|
    ...............................v