Help with Simulator setup for a disabled person

Hi All

My dad was involved in a serious motorbike accident last year and as a result is now in a wheel chair with the use of only one arm and one leg. He has only just returned home from hospital but is getting more down as there is very little for him to do.
I have been thinking about setting up a racing simulator for him but not sure on what steering wheels would be best for someone that only has one usable arm. i remember using wheels in the past and always finding them reasonably stiff from the force feedback?
If anybody could help with some links to suitable wheels it would be brilliant.

Thanks Again
Sam

Hi All

My dad was involved in a serious motorbike accident last year and as a result is now in a wheel chair with the use of only one arm and one leg. He has only just returned home from hospital but is getting more down as there is very little for him to do.
I have been thinking about setting up a racing simulator for him but not sure on what steering wheels would be best for someone that only has one usable arm. i remember using wheels in the past and always finding them reasonably stiff from the force feedback?

Thanks Again
Sam
I am not sure myself as I have no experience in such a situation, but you may get in contact with Rhys Chandler aka SouthPawRacer (on YouTube) as he has a disability on one arm. Unfortunatly I do not know if he is on here. Probably best to contact him via YouTube.

Upvote 0
I think most wheels/pedals would be good. are his usable arm and leg 100% in strength?
In most modern wheels and games you can turn the Force Feedback down. So he would still have a little feedback, but weak enough to be manageable with one arm. The only thing I would not recommend is a Direct Drive wheel. They have really strong FFB.

What is your budget? Then we can maybe recommend some good wheels.

I don't think the hardware will be the issue. It's more setting up the wheel itself and the games right. Because he would have limited reach to all the buttons and shifters (if he chooses to want to shift manual, which would be hard)

Upvote 0
Hi All
Thanks Again
Sam
I think this is a great idea.
Which arm and leg are affected?
He could use any of the wheels currently on the market.
I'd simply turn the FFB down, and look for something with two pedals.
If the right leg is the non-responsive one, you could get the SimRaceway wheel adapted...it has a hand clutch option.
He could map that on the side of the responsive hand.

Upvote 0
(if he chooses to want to shift manual, which would be hard)
The TM F1 rim has a one piece shift paddle, you can up- or downshift by pulling or pushing the paddle on one side. But we had a guy in a local league who was disabled from the waist down and still had amazing pace. He managed the pedals with his right hand (pedals were on a chair next to him), and steering/shifting with his left. ;)

Upvote 0
It's very cool that you are trying to help your dad out. SIM racing is definitely an option. IYou definitely want FF I think...as some said strength adjustable. Setting the turning radius down will be quite helpful for him, finding the sweet spot where he doesn't have to overextend...
Which there are easy attach options out there. And then you could add a seat for immersion like the Jetseat 908. To help him with FF. Hope God blesses your efforts

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the reply's.
My budget will be a maximum of £300 on the wheel as i might need to update his PC aswell.
As for his movement he has full movement/strength in his left arm and leg. some movement in his right arm but very little movement in his right hand/finger and no movement in his right leg. (suffered from 2 breaks in his back and a stroke from internal bleeding that effected his right hand side).

thanks again for all the reply's , i hadn't even thought about some of the points you've mentioned

Upvote 0
£300 will get you a very decent wheel. Have a look at the Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T300RS.
The Thrustmaster has an option to buy a Ferrari F1 wheel add-on that has, as mentioned before, the ability to shift with one paddle.

If at all possible, you could maybe put the keyboard or even a small button box (depending on how "real" you wanna go) so he has some extra buttons to control with his right arm, stuff like P2P/DRS ,pit request, pit limiter and all that. Stuff you don't need all the time, but are usefull to have.
The more used buttons like looking around, can be on the left most buttons on the wheel.

You'll have to take the button placement on the wheel into account. How easy can he reach it, while still having good grip on the wheel.

Upvote 0
just seen the Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel down to £128 , is it possible to adjust the force feed back down on this model?

Thanks
Yes it is. Usually both the Logitech profiler, but also the game itself will allow you to soften the FFB. Or even completely turn it off.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back