Help with downshifting from high speed with H-shifter

Just got a G27 so now I have no choice but to use H-shifter and I need some help:

What's the best way to downshift from a high speed?

Suppose I'm flying down Monza at 170mph coming up to the first chicane. Should I go through each gear or while I'm braking or should I go into neutral, brake, then shift into the gear I want?

Either way I'm losing lots of time and killing my gear box :veryhappy:

Can you guys give me some techniques?

In addition to what Kev said: the car will slow down on the engine itself as well (engine braking), so its advised to hammer through the gearbox and try to keep the revs up a litte, at least stable. Don't over do it in the lower gears as it will probably lock up your rear wheels with the RWD car and causes you to spin :)

How's it better than the G25 then Mike? I've got a G25 myself and think it's sweet, better than any other wheel I've used by a mile, not tried the G27 yet...

The FFB for one. Soooo much better and smoother - without all the noise the G25 makes.

The pedals are now adjustable and the brake pedal is slightly higher than the gas pedal for easier heal-to-toe. Six buttons on the wheel instead of two is a big improvement.

But the new shifter is really why I got it. Doesn't feel like a "toy" anymore. Feels sturdy and well constructed and feels really really nice. In fact, the entire unit feels better constructed.

The G25 is a great wheel and now they are really inexpensive so they are a great deal as well. But the G27 is amazing. You just have to feel it. They had one on display at an electronics store and as soon as I drove it, I had to get one.

lol guys let's not go too much OT. RD has a Logitech forum :drool:

I'm really having issues downshifting quickly. That's what I get for using the sequential for years :7:

I'm going to have to learn to heel/toe blip. I think I need to start with the slowest RWD car and just keep practicing.

I feel like a newbie all over again.

Just got a G27 so now I have no choice but to use H-shifter and ...

"no choice"?... Self-imposed?
*edit* I get it now... there is no sequential gearing on the side shifter with the G27 (it was a source of unreliability & construction problems in the G25 --> cutting costs).
Anyway, nowadays, most racing machines have sequential gearboxes and even (programmable) “paddle shifters” are getting common in many road going cars :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back