Help on Braking

I'm using G27 wheel and pedal. When i watch some of the videos on youtube for example Imola + Ferrari GT2 car. They brake late on the first corner and make the turn w/o understeer or locking their brakes. I tried with ABS on/off, Full or just half pressed brake pedals w/ downshifts but i cant replicate on how they attack the corners. I also tried changing the brake gama , still nothing. Any suggestion, config or setup? I think in most tracks i can improve my time upto 2-3sec if u got my braking setup right.

Generally the best method is to first go hard on the brakes and then back off of them as you approach the turn-in point. You can also try the brake pressure setting in the car setup screen, if you decrease it then you should be able to give more pedal without locking up as easy.

I'd say it is more likely your technique than anything to do with your G27. I have one too and there are no issues at all with braking when someone competent is using it. The problems come when I'm using it myself, with my lack of ability. :p

Other things could be contributing to that--differential settings, brake pressure, tire compound, turn-in point, suspension stiffness, and braking point. My guess, braking point and turn-in are probably where you're off. The difference between grip and slip is usually less than a few kph. Also, make sure you're using as much track as possible on entry and exit to straighten out the corner as much as you can and decrease your turning angle.

May be elementary to you, but your brake pedal is a "Decelerator" and you use it just the opposite of your Accelerator. Accelerator you gently apply till it's slammed. When you Decelerate you slam it and slowly let up. Practice with an F1 car with a lot of downforce.... at first you can't lock the wheels up (downforce is pressing the tires into the pavement) as downforce and speed bleeds off you will have to start baking off brake pedal or they will lock.
You might also want to go into Logitech Profiler, left click Brake, Axis properties and then adjust the sensitivity of the axis (picture included of mine) then in game play with your gamma settings (again my pic included). The two work together. Once you do that then all the Car Setup settings mentioned in above comments will play a large part from there especially brake pressure. I usually use from 83%-97%. A way to gauge this that I learned from watching F1 and how different drivers set brake pressure up, most of them say find the longest straight (highest speed) for the track they're at and slam the brakes to where they just start to lock and that's a good starting point. Works for me pretty well. Please not, I in no way claim to be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Good luck
Note: Lower brake pressure % does take more distance to slow the car so your braking points will change

Log Prof Brake Properties.JPG Advanced Control.JPG

I learned/heard the same thing about using the longest straight to determine brake pressure. Been doing it ever since, and it really makes it easy to maximize your braking. IMO, conforming to the default brake setting of a car is a missed opportunity, as the optimal pressure setting can vary from track to track, depending on the braking zones.

One thing about using brake gamma. Be aware that you're actually making the sensitivity curve non-linear, with a slower/less sensitive response at the start of the pedal's travel and ramping up the pressure/sensitivity toward the end. By compressing the curve at the end of the braking scale, you actually lose some precision, because the force ramps up quicker. I think the value of adjusting gamma is really hardware dependent (less useful for higher end pedals which provide better resolution). Also, since Kunos added brake pressure, I'd recommended started there, because you can achieve the same result without compressing the sensitivity curve.

Thanks for the help. I adjust my Profiler Brake Pedal Sensitivity to 20℅ and in-game gamma to 1. It feels much better, it adds like 25-40meters before i brake and improved my time 1.5sc with the same setup as before. Testing it with Ferrari GT2 car on imola. Now, i just have to improve my driving and adjust all my braking points

I started playing AC again after months of break. I should have known this setting from the start. For everyone using G27, try this settings. Its like night and day compared to default settings. With the default, when i brake the same time with the AI, I always hit AI coz of the braking distance.

Logitech Profiler
Brake Sensitivity = 20

Assetto Corsa
Brake Gamma = 1

This makes the braking linear based on your pedal travel. It also prevents the brakes from locking on cars w/o abs.

Can anyone using thr G27 to test my settings and give feedback?

I started playing AC again after months of break. I should have known this setting from the start. For everyone using G27, try this settings. Its like night and day compared to default settings. With the default, when i brake the same time with the AI, I always hit AI coz of the braking distance.

Logitech Profiler
Brake Sensitivity = 20

Assetto Corsa
Brake Gamma = 1

This makes the braking linear based on your pedal travel. It also prevents the brakes from locking on cars w/o abs.

Can anyone using thr G27 to test my settings and give feedback?
Sure. Glad to see your times came down by 1.5s. I'll get back to you in a bit.
Now if someone could help me understand why I can't step the tail out on the Yellowbird and catch it I'd be much happier lol.

Logitech Profiler
Brake Sensitivity = 20

Assetto Corsa
Brake Gamma = 1

No good for me. Sensitivity at 20 gives too much axis input too quickly, meaning I lock up far more easily when not using ABS.

But since messing with these settings I've just noticed something... where are the clutch settings in the Logitech Profiler?! They don't seem to exist! :O_o:

uc

Oh i forgot, on AC settings also put 80% on brake pedal range(prevents lockup?). Thats the 3 settings i changed.

I'll just put my screenshot later.
Most likely that's why you are not locking, no matter how much braking input you use you are always having 80% brakes there.
Try with an ABS included car and your braking distances will be higher than before, as you aren't using the car's full braking potential.

I played around with various controller settings but anything other than linear movement and full range just feels wrong, or introduces new issues. I've gone back to 50% sensitivity,1.0 gamma, and full range. That's what feels best to me and if I get problems with lockups I just tweak the brake pressure. I just need to improve technique.

Most likely that's why you are not locking, no matter how much braking input you use you are always having 80% brakes there.
Try with an ABS included car and your braking distances will be higher than before, as you aren't using the car's full braking potential.

Tried it on Monza braking on 150m mark on the first turn, i got the same braking distance results. Default G27 pedal settings and on my settings. I also turned off the abs of the car w/c makes my braking distance longer. I used ford mustang. Maybe ill just create a profile for car with ABS and on GT Cars. Btw, i got a somewhat diy nixim brake mod on my brakes.

I played around with various controller settings but anything other than linear movement and full range just feels wrong, or introduces new issues. I've gone back to 50% sensitivity,1.0 gamma, and full range. That's what feels best to me and if I get problems with lockups I just tweak the brake pressure. I just need to improve technique.

What type of cars do you drive? I drive mostly GT cars with out abs so its the best one for me right now. Tested it on imola coz of the turns and chicanes w/c i improved my braking distance a lot. To each his own preference.

Possibly the physics. I can't remember which thread, but just a day or two ago someone else mentioned they were having trouble catching the Yellowbird too.
That was me.......and you lol. I know we've got to be missing something. Look at all the guys that drift etc with our wheels and pedals. If they can do it I know I can. Might not be as good as them, but if you can catch a car drifting you can certainly catch one racing. Like I said before, I can catch most of the cars, but there are a few that once they step out very much I'm chasing my tail all over the play and it turns to tears.

What type of cars do you drive? I drive mostly GT cars with out abs so its the best one for me right now. Tested it on imola coz of the turns and chicanes w/c i improved my braking distance a lot. To each his own preference.
Mostly GT3s and the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup at the moment since that's what I race in the AC club. I turn ABS off too as you end up getting too used to it, and then you lock up constantly when you drive something which doesn't have it!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%