1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Help Needed With Car Skin

Discussion in 'GTR 2' started by HypoToad, Nov 16, 2015.

1. I finally worked out how to convert a car from rFactor to GTR 2, no easy task for a noob, I have the car in the game and working fine, although I still have to figure out how to get the gauges to work but that's on the back burner at the moment.

But what I really need to work out how to put the skin on the car, there isn't one at the moment. All the tutorials I have read only show how to change a skin on a car that already has one, I need to know how to put one on in the first place.

I have these rFactor files in the team directory.

69042_HTGTS.CAR < I created this from files in the rFactor and one from GTR2
    69042_HTGTS.txt < Renamed from fFactor file
    69042_HTGTS.dds < Renamed from fFactor file
    69042_HTGTS.veh < Renamed from fFactor file

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. I have figured out a makeshift solution, the same skin I can put on any other car, so it must be the way I converted things or the way it was made for fFactor. So I changed the HTBody.dds file in the HTGTS_Tex.gtr file and put it in the team directory and it works. But it won't work if I put the same file as 69042_HTGTS.dds, even though 69042 is the car number in the .car file.

And if I schedule a race then all the cars have the same skin as the one I drive, even though they have the correct drivers names attached. I think there must be something different with the files in rFactor, as there is no spec map for the body.gmt files.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. Okay I finally fixed it, rFactor has a different materials naming format than GTR2, so instead of having WC_TEAM_BODY1_PA for the body textures it just has WCCARBODY. I found an old tutorial for converting cars from GTR2 to rFactor so I just did it backwards, and found out the WC stands for Wild Cards.

So in 3DSimEd I just changed the names in the body .gmt files and viola it works fine now, every car has a different skin in the race, yeah.

I now have a canary yellow HT Monaro GTS 350 that looks very similar to this one Norm Beechey drove all those years ago except for the mag wheels, which I am going to do.:

[​IMG]

Now to get the instruments and brake lights working, its a pretty steep learning curve as I only started converting these two weeks ago.

Update:
    I got the brake lights working it was the same as the skins, I had to change the materials names, I also put mag wheels on it from a Dodge Challenger, I would like them shinier but they look way better than the horrible stock wheels with hubcaps that the cars originally came with.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. Nice work, here's hoping you might release these somewhere when finished :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. Will do.

I worked out how to get the speedo and tacho gauges working, they don't have working temp and fuel gauges from scratch, I didn't have the cockpit_nl.gmt file so I had to make my own using measurements in the cockpit.gmt file, there are a lot of parts to a car, I take my hat off to anyone who designs one from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015