HELP! I have a suspicion my PC PSU is dying :(

Hi Guys

I think my PC's power supply is dying, I have had random freezes etc. recently while playing games, and so forth.

Let me be clear, I am not a PSU expert by any means, but apparently from what I've been reading is that the below readings are not good, e.g. the +12 must be as close to 12V as possible?

Can anyone maybe shed some light on this?

SIW Sensor screenshot:
395321_10150521284403519_641568518_8705394_1945166799_n.jpg

Thanks for ANY advice!

You are correct, your PSU is just about dead according to those readings. However, I would use a PSU tester to be sure that those readings are accurate as most times software readings are not accurate. A decent PSU tester costs around $15 US from Newegg and they are very easy to use. You could also use a regular volt meter to see what it looks like as well.

As a general rule though, the voltages should not vary more than 10% from the specified value. 12V can drop to just under 11V, 5V can drop to 4.5V etc. If after using a meter you are still seeing values like you posted, then by all means, replace the PSU as soon as possible.

You are correct, your PSU is just about dead according to those readings. However, I would use a PSU tester to be sure that those readings are accurate as most times software readings are not accurate. A decent PSU tester costs around $15 US from Newegg and they are very easy to use. You could also use a regular volt meter to see what it looks like as well.

As a general rule though, the voltages should not vary more than 10% from the specified value. 12V can drop to just under 11V, 5V can drop to 4.5V etc. If after using a meter you are still seeing values like you posted, then by all means, replace the PSU as soon as possible.

Thank you for the advice. How must I use the tester exactly? When the PC is on, or off?

Has anyone here found similar readings through SIW, whilst having good readings with a tester?

I have seen software showing as low as 9V while the PSU was actually putting out 12.2V, so yes, people have seen software showing incorrectly.

The tester that Eyghon has put a link to is one pretty close the the exact one I use, but I also double check with a volt meter.

Thanks guys!

Since I didn't know much about multimeters before this morning, I went out and bought the first one I could find - big mistake! It doesn't do decimals, so I get readings of 4 and 11 volts, which could just as well be 4.99 and 11.99.

Will borrow one from a family member soon...

Just for the record, what actual symptoms would I need to look out for when gaming and using the PC, etc., that indicate a failing PSU? Because I have had some random gaming freezes lately, but no indication in Event Viewer except the stupidly generic APPCRASH.

A failing PSU would show itself by any number of symptoms. Typically though you would see crashes and blue screens as well as the system not wanting to start up at times. The areas on the system that are the most sensitive to stable power are the CPU and the GPU so there is a good possibility that you would get graphic card crashes as well.

A failing PSU would show itself by any number of symptoms. Typically though you would see crashes and blue screens as well as the system not wanting to start up at times. The areas on the system that are the most sensitive to stable power are the CPU and the GPU so there is a good possibility that you would get graphic card crashes as well.

That's what I thought as well - none of the above systems, except the occasional freeze in GP4, which after further investigation turned out to be a track slot issue rather than hardware-related. Also, only one freeze in Ashes Cricket 09.

I must say I am amazed - since using this PC with Windows 7 I haven't had a single BSOD. A huge upgrade from XP.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back