1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello & nice to be here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ichthus, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Hello everyone,

Nice to be here - I'm a fairly new sim racer but I'm currently enjoying GTR2 and GPL. I prefer the older sims - they seem to give off a 'more classic' vibe for me :)

Don't do any online racing but I may consider it. Is it worth subbing to become a full member? Would you recommend it?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Hi, and welcome to Race Department. Hope you find plenty to interest you here.
    Certainly nothing wrong with the games you're playing as GTR2 and Grand Prix Legends are timeless classics with some feature that newer games might envy.
    Of course I would recommend going premium as it not only helps the site with server costs etc. but it also opens up benefits to it's members, you can get more details here.
    You say you don't do online racing, can I ask why not. RD race clubs are a really friendly way to get started and a great way to learn,
    Putting on my biased hat I would point you in the direction of the R3E club which regularly has free content races and a online beginners class about once a month, the next one's due on April 3rd. Couple that with the Freemium offer see details here why not give it a shot.
    Whatever you do enjoy your time here at RD and if you have any questions just ask as there are so many knowledgeable members happy to help.
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Hi Kenny,

I think I may try online racing - just always been put off by all the super racers...I'm more Sunday driver pace than Alien :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

Don't let pace stop you, I'm more of an old man Sunday driver pace myself. In club races we have Teamspeak and can enjoy some banter and just have fun. One of the really nice things is people will help you I can't stress enough what a great place they are to begin online.
    When @Lars Hansen does his next beginners course in a couple of weeks. I will tag you and see how you feel.
  5. Ok Kenny that sounds not too bad at all :)

I'm based in the UK so hopefully there would be some races in my neck of the woods.

What sims do you use? I am currently playing with GTR2 and rFactor 2 but also thinking about Automobilista or Raceroom.

Also for Teamspeak do I just get an install and set it up as defaults?
  6. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

I'm in Scotland, you can check out event details here.
    Obviously I would recommend Raceroom (R3E):whistling:. You can download the free content which has 11 cars and 3 tracks with 11 different layouts plus you can test drive any car before you buy. We had a free content race just last week and have them pretty regularly.
    Automobilista is also great I've played it since the first Game Stock Car came out so a lot depends on the type of cars you want to race. Plus it might be better to limit the number of different ga es you play so as to get really familiar with one.
    As to Teamspeak there is a setup guide here on RD but I'm not at my PC right now and I can't remember where it is. But yes install it and you will get help from there.
    Once again have a look at the freemium offer you could be online very soon:)
  7. Ah brilliant thanks for all this info! I'll get Raceroom and get TS set up :)

Nice you're in Scotland as well - I lived in Aberdeen for a few years in the 80's when Fergie managed the Dons and they were beating all round them - saw some great games with my Father.

Now moved back years ago though to my native and sunny Belfast but still a soft spot for my cousins up in your direction :)
  8. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

Now there's a contradiction in terms. :D

Anyway, just to back Kenny up, pace really isn't the be-all end-all.
    Yes, there are aliens around......Usually a lap or two ahead of me. :laugh:
    But the R3E Club normally have a spread of 5-6 seconds a lap throughout the grid, so the odds are pretty good that you'll find someone at or near your level.
    I mean, let's face it, Kenny and myself are supposed to be running this club and we're not exactly top-drawer racers (putting it very mildly).
    Not to mention that the Club races are much more of a social thing, in most cases with the inane TS banter to go with it.

But as mentioned, I'll be doing another so-called Rookie race on April 3rd 1300GMT.
    I'll get a sign-up post up some time during the Easter holidays.
    To briefly explain the concept, Rookie races aren't races as such. They're more prolonged practice sessions, where newcomers can get a little help setting up TS, volume-settings, and other tech stuff. Furthermore we'll be talking about the do's and don'ts of online racing, and assuming your pace is lower than one of the instructors there'll be some track-guidance as well.
    Basically, it's designed to be a 'safe haven' where people can get used to the whole online thing, and get to meet a few of the regulars without having to worry about screwing up.
    Even better, we'll be using one of the Silhouette cars and the Raceroom Raceway track, so it'll be entirely free content.
    And as the proverbial cherry on top, there'll be Freemium spots available (1 month free trial membership).
    It ain't gonna get much cheaper than free. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

Glad to help.
    One of my sons moved to Colraine just last month.