1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Hello from (lonely) Perth

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris Stacey, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I've just realised that I've been a member of RaceDepartment since mid-2011 and have never formally introduced myself, so here goes...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I'm Chris, 21 years old (will be 22 in Jan) and I'm from Perth, Western Australia: The second most isolated city in the world :thumbsup: It's hot, dry and relatively speaking it rarely rains. I live about 2 minutes walk from the beach, but I don't use it nearly as often as I probably should. I'm about to start my final semester of my University undergraduate degree in Occ. Health and Safety and if I'm unsuccessful in getting a job straight out of Uni, then I plan on doing my Masters.

I'm also a huge Basketball nut (been playing since I was 8yo) and I work as a Basketball Official. It's a very stressful and high pressure job, but is also very very rewarding. I don't follow the domestic competition here in Australia all that closely (mostly because it sucks), but I do follow the NBA very closely and am a supporter of the Portland Trailblazers. I would love to go to America some day and go to a game... Or twenty.

I'm also a lover of dogs, Border Collies are my soft spot and am mostly pre-occupied with my four year old best mate, Tam (he also goes by the names: Tamworth, Tim-Tam, Tamington, Tamalamma-Ding-Dong and Pup). I take him sheep herding occasionally as he has a very strong predatory drive and wants to keep everything in check and in order (he even tries to herd me!). On the days that he's not herding actual sheep, the other dogs at the park make nice substitutes. With all the terrible things going on in the world right now, he is a constant reminder of everything that is right on this planet.

I got into SimRacing back in 2010 when Codemasters released their best game to date (IMO) in F1 2010. For the release of F1 2011 I got my first wheel (Thrustmaster Ferrari Experience) and I had well and truly caught the simracing bug and was looking for bigger and better things in 2013 when I saw this, and knew exactly what I would be getting next. Assetto Corsa blew me away (it still does sometimes), and it has been my primary game of choice - I've sunk nearly 1,400 hours into it! Since it's release I've become an admin here at RD and have been organising weekly club races for AC and have had an absolute blast in doing so, I've also met some of the nicest and friendliest blokes around (you know who you are).

So there's a little bit about me, hope you enjoyed reading, and I look forward to more on-track awesomeness and general forum fun here on RD in 2016 and beyond :)

Merry Christmas all.
    Chris.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Brian Greenwood

Brian Greenwood
    "Brian the Snail"

From a newbie to a oldie (member)

Welcome :thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  3. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here at RD.:whistling:
    I have a collie cross who does herd me, go Utah Jazz. I had a friend who visited Oz and he thought that Perth was the nicest city of them all so you are lucky.
    Have a great Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
    whitespitstop_2272_9865736.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2scoops

2scoops
    Premium Member

Hi Chris,
    Welcome, only just joined myself.
    Happy Christmas on the beach :)

5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

Chris! Bit late for the intro but better now that never :)

Go to the beach more often! I envy that mate, we have a rather grim County Park nearby and that's about it :) Hence my love of indoor cats rather than dogs... its not the prettiest place to go walking round these parts :D

Anyway.. nice introduction mate and Merry Christmas to you and all at RaceDepartment!

Paul

6. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado
    #17 Talking Door Racing Staff

7. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

Undoubtedly. The NBA guys mostly get away with travels once they've caught the ball before they dribble. Look up any D-Wade highlights and you'll see what I'm talking about. The guy is a serial traveler before putting the ball down. Other than that, they don't travel too often.

But I've been an official for nearly 6 years now and I still remember my first game and immediately I gained massive respect for those who do it at a professional level. Basketball is one of the hardest games to officiate as you have to make instant decisions on a 10-man moving picture, and more importantly they need to be correct. We can never get 100% of calls right, but we try to :) Having a decent co-official certainly helps.

Additionally, as a ref you rarely ever get credit. If you're doing your job well, then you're invisible (best outcome), and if you're doing a bad job then you're the worst enemy of everyone on court. For the first year or so it was very nerve racking as it's not nice knowing that if you stuff up a call or two then you're going to cop abuse, but over time you learn to handle it and I've actually really grown to enjoy it. Learning to talk to players who are unhappy with a call you've made is probably the biggest hurdle any new ref will have to overcome as it's harder to explain why you made a call than to actually make the call itself.

There's a great video with Monty McCutchen who I think is definitely one of, if not the best, referee in the NBA.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Cristian Haba

Cristian Haba
    #555 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs Staff Premium Member

At 21 I had just gotten into simracing, and it was't AC that I had back then.