1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
MINI Challenge - Round 1 - Oulton Park (LIVE)

Hello from Belgium

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by red bullet, Mar 2, 2016.

1. red bullet

red bullet
    Premium Member

Hi there

I’m Joris from Belgium and I’m a big racing enthousiast, as all of us. It started with F1, but a few years ago I also got interested in endurance racing.

In a more distant past I played some sim racing games. Frankly, it was awful compared to my (not so great) level now. I played with a lot of aids, didn’t have a steering wheel… I had an old F1-game (EA), CMR2 and GPL, so it was all offline.

With a new computer and an entry level steering wheel I enjoyed the racing much more. I bought a newer version of the F1-game, Dirt3 and, my favourite so far, RF2. Since starting the demo of RF2 the fun only started: changing weather, night racing, increasing grip.

And finally I found the setup guide as posted by David O’Reilly. Well, in the beginning it was a love-hate relationship with the setup system: slower lap times, struggling to drive without aids… And now, after several months of practice, I just can’t drive with any aids on.

The feeling of the car without aids is totally gone. But getting to a good setup is still quite difficult, especially for the details, but I’m getting there.

So thanks David an all contributors for that guide.

My goal is to start participating in a couple of months with club races if my hardware allows it. But first I’m going to practice in some offline races to be more consistent during a long race and foremost trying not to get caught in the first lap mess (which happens with AI at least).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Hi, and welcome to Race Department. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of people here willing to help you. You can find out more about the rF2 club here. They will welcome you to the club and don't worry about pace the clubs are friendly places to learn and have fun.
    Any questions please just ask and once again welcome to RD.

3. red bullet

red bullet
    Premium Member

Thx Kenny

Can you by any chance help me with the following regarding the club races? I can't find any faq on the subforum.
    -Is a wifi connection allowed or is a fixed connection required? I know some leagues require a fixed connection.
    -Is there a minimum fps required? With my current graphics card I struggle to get 60fps all the time.

4. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

Hi red bullet, welcome to our community :)
    You say you're from Belgium... I'm super jealous of your famous race track you have there :p. Going to Spa for the Belgian GP someday is on my bucket list :D

5. red bullet

red bullet
    Premium Member

Hi Chris

You definitely should visit it at least once, but personally I would suggest going there for the WEC or 24h. With the F1 you can't enter the paddock etc.

I spend quite some time there, but my gf even more since she's a volunteer on the track.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Hi, no problems with a wi fi connection, I tend to make sure that anything likely to update or run during races is turned off. No fps restrictions.
    Information about the Race Clubs can be found here and how to join here.
    Just jump in, the clubs are really friendly and will welcome you. Look out for Freemium races in different clubs over the next few weeks.
    In the R3E club we often run races with free content so keep an eye on the calendar as it's a good place to begin online.
    Hope that helps.:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. red bullet

red bullet
    Premium Member

That was very helpful. I just upgraded my account to premium so I can go club racing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

Hey Joris, welcome to RD and congratulations on becoming a premium member, once you try online you will be hooked for life!! :)

Really hope you enjoy it, as many others will tell you, the best way to learn I'd just to get on track in the clubby races and have fun :)

Enjoy mate and see you on track!

9. red bullet

red bullet
    Premium Member

Thx, I just hope to find some fellow backmackers. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

lol, don't worry buddy.. you will find someone to race against in most of the events we hold I'm sure :)

Plus the good thing about online racing is the more you do, the better you get (usually!! :O_o:).

Enjoy !

• Like Like x 2