• This Website Is Not For Sale
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Discuss the 2017 Formula One Australian Grand Prix here.

Headlight glass shader - help!

Discussion in 'Racer Physics and Technical' started by Splashonda, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hi guys! I'm having a bit of an issue with the headlight glass of my Challenger. As you can see from the screenie with the lights turned off, the glass reflects a bit of the track, such as it should in reality! The problem is that, when I turn on the lights, that reflection should disapear, but it doesn't! I'm tired of tweaking the shader and the alpha quantity on the .tga, but I can't get it right!

Is there any trick to make the reflection disappear when i turn the lights on?

screenshot038.jpg screenshot039.jpg

I'm using this shader:

Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. Use my audi s4´s glass shader.

Inside car shader, you have glass.tga section glass_shader. try it at challenger.

I use 2 different tex for headlight glasses and windows. Headlights must be more clear and transparent, besides windowns one.

3. I'm also using two separate shaders!

I can't seem to understand one thing in your Audi shader. At the headlight glass material, you make reference to "shader_glass~vf_reflect_window" and vf_reflect_window doesn't exist in the car.shd! So it makes the head/tailight glass shader to be broken (it appears gloss grey, with no alpha).

I'm using v0810, so I don't know if it's something to do with that...

4. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me check it

5. Any more suggestions?

6. Can I ask you? I'm not new here, and I don't want to post new thread. I don't know hot to open .shd file?

7. KS95

KS95
    RACER Moderator

Open it with notepad/wordpad :)

8. The best way to do this is to have the lamp as a reflect material, then just put the glass shader on the glass cover of the lamp itself.

Then have a standard material using a blendfund=blend (use alpha to fall off the glow) and emission value on a plane that sits proud of the lens/reflector.

That should be it.

The reflection on the glass is always there, as is the one on the reflector. Within a HDR environment, you use a big emission value to blow out the reflection intensity, so all you tend to see is the emission from the reflector/bulb.

Experimentation will be key. Check my Lambo update to see how I did it on that, same kinda principle... should be easy with just default shaders!

Thanks

Dave

9. +1 Dave, one way of doing it !

Somehow I get a similar issue on my updated car, where from my incar view (it's just the same model as for the exterior for now), I can't see my car lights, because of the windshield shader & params I've set. Got 2 aligned surfaces pointing (Normals) outwards & inwards with reflection on...

10. Thanks Dave! I'll try it tomorrow and let you know!