Have Your Say: Your Favourite Sim Car and Track Combo

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Favourite sim car and track combo.jpg

We've asked for your favourite car, we've enquired about your track of choice, now it's time to see what you the community consider your favourite car and track combination in sim racing....

People sim race for many different reasons and get from the sport many different kinds of satisfaction, be it the test of chasing those final few thousandths of a second, or the thrill of racing wheel to wheel for position, everyone is different. Some of us are exclusively dedicated to offline single player championships, or get our kicks from collecting achievements and credits to unlock in game content. Many players dedicate their free time to mayor online leagues and lots of people like to try their hand at multiple club style racing each night, it all makes up the brilliant world of sim racing and our great community.

Regardless of how you like to sim race, one thing must remain a constant across all players, and that is the personal preference of car and track combined. That special combination that gets the juices flowing, the particular mix of horsepower and tarmac that always ends up as your "go-to" option when time is short and enjoyment is at a premium.

So the question I would like to ask you all is: What is your favourite car and track combination, across any sim, any age and any platform?

As always this isn't a question aimed at which sim is the best / most realistic or whatever, it's just a simple case of asking you all what car and track in any sim game gives you the biggest grin, the happiest feeling, the largest sense of satisfaction when you come back into the virtual pits after pushing the edge of the envelope just one more time.

When submitting your choice in the comments please do feel free to leave some commentary as to why you have picked that particular combination, and what makes it so special for you (videos are always nice too ;) :p )....

Happy debating folks!

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Well for me this is a very difficult question as my preferences always seem to change depending on the mood I'm in :) I must admit the varied and less well known tracks of Automobilista usually offer some good value for money in the entertainment department, especially with the awesome feeling of the cars.

If pushed however I'd have to pick something I've not driven for a long time, but still keeps me awake at night with excitement...

rFactor 2 driving the 1966 Brabham-Repco BT20 at either historic Spa or historic Monaco.

Now that's a combination that's pretty bloody hard to beat imho :)

Running a close second would have to be the 90's DTM cars in Assetto Corsa running on the awesome Donington Park mod track from @Brun, mainly because I'm a big Donington fan and his track is spectacular, and everyone likes manual h-shifter tin top touring cars don't they :D

Dan Costa

World Champ Procrastination n' Hoarding Series
DTM 92 @ Sachsenring in raceroom

The reason for raceroom is that the game feels very alive and the online format is great (no mid-race join)

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DTM 92 at Portimao Algarve circuit in Raceroom. The circuit just flows and has great undulations and fast sweepers combined with the wonderful DTM 92 cars. Superb. I feel S3 got it spot on as I have done a couple of motorcycle track days here and it looks the same and almost feels the same. Hard to put into words actually.

Too many to write about! But I love:
IRacing Porsche Cup at the Nordschliefe. Car feels awesome, braking is a challenge, tires forgiving and the track is sublime. IRacing physics really make you feel the bumps and elevation.

RF2 ISI Formula 1 (2012 model car i think) at Suzuka. Perfect f1 track with perhaps the best modern f1 car in sim racing. FFB is awesome, the weight of the steering through the esses, spoon and 190r, and the tire model is catchable when you start to lose it despite the cornering grip and speed. Terrific. Silverstone is a great choice for this too.

RF2 historic 60s f1 cars at historic spa or the nordschlefe. The challenge is great... huge speed, no or little downforce, and great ffb and suspension modelling make for a (at least i would assume) very real feeling experience. Worth the price of RF2 alone if you love historic f1 cars.

Assetto Corsa's road legal sports cars. Can i say all of them? Finally a pc sim that gives us a fantastic selection of street cars. Hard to pick just a few but.... try the Bmw M4 at magione... delightful oversteer, a short but fantastic track for street cars with a series of great turns that allow you to test your car at the limit. All the street cars are great there. My favorites include but are not limited to the Ferrari 488gtb (huge, fun torque to go with your 661 hp), the Porsche 911 r and GT3rs (two different sides of the same coin), the Corvette Stingray, the Ruf yellowbird, Porsche Cayman GT4 and the McLaren P1. Dont forget to try the newest street track in Scotland too. And make sure you also use regular street tires some of the time vs. Semislicks.

AC's race cars feel slightly less sublime than it's sports cars but there are those that shine brightly too. The mighty Porsche 917 in both configurations. Awesome power on old tires.... particularly the 917/30! Drive it at someplace like Silverstone or Spa to really open it up. Or try the historic 50s Maserati F1 cars at a smaller venue like Magione.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 10.0%