Have Your Say: Why Do You Enjoy Sim Racing?

Started watching motorsport more seriously around the time I started simracing, so it kinda went hand in hand. The sheer difficulty of getting good at it was fun, as weird as it may seem, but it was for someone coming from the easy to learn, hard to master CS 1.6. Enjoyed competing in some of the more casual leagues back in the GTR2 days.

Nowadays, I don't know. I'm still decent enough, though much less patient in races. I like the immersion and almost roleplaying feel I get when I do some offline racing with licenced series. And while I don't have nearly as much fun racing online as I had when I was starting to race sims, I still get a kick out of just battling on track with the one dude whose pace matches mine that I meet every 2 months :p

In general I am a motorsports fan. I usually don't route for one driver over another. Just want good, exciting racing. Pretty much all the series - but NASCAR. Even bikes (superbikes, GP bikes, MotoGP too).

Still, getting the thrill of pretending you're a real race car driver in these sims. Just adds to the love of motorsports. It's very challenging as well. I could do a practice session and be drenched in buckets of sweat. It's about the closest I'll come to actually going to that country and going to the race track.

The last time I went to a race, it was an IMSA prototype race. I sat in one of the cars and my 6'3" frame had to be shoehorned in. Head sideways (without helmet), feet tangled among the pedals and then the cramp in my leg got me stuck in the car. What an experience....the smells, the cars, the sounds, the driver pissing in his driving suit while talking to a group of people...:cautious:

Racing sims makes me appreciate the real life drivers even more. How they can drive on the edge and keep it up the whole race, when I struggle to keep from crashing 2 or 3 times a lap in a sim. :roflmao:

Then there is the banter on TS between drivers. :roflmao: The
camaraderie that is shared with a group of guys driving their hearts out in the virtual world.

Just awesome. If your wives/girlfriends complain about it, I always say it's better that you know we're here rather than at a "gentleman's club". :laugh:

Why do I sim race? because I love all motorsports.

Ive been a rev head since I was knee high to a grass hopper, in primary school a friend's dad raced a super modified with a Daimler 4.5ltr V8, even his mum raced it, she was woman's champ. All my mates and I would go to Claremont Speedway every Friday to watch the solo bikes and my hero Chum Taylor, and sprint car hero Alf Barbagallo do their thing, we would sit on pits bend and get spattered with mud, it was so cool.

I came into sim racing in 98 after visiting a friend who had a crude timber rig setup with GPL & GP2, after just 5 minutes I was hooked, addicted even, I remember attempting to drive the Lotus around Spa I think, I was crap, but what a buzz.

Needless to say I had my own Logitech formula black wheel and a copy of GPL and GP2 within weeks, built a rig of sorts and have been at it ever since. Ive never been to serious about it, it's more a case of satisfying the revhead inside. Don't mind if I finish at the rear of the field.

I love all motorsports nothing more nothing less, at 55 I purchased my 1st go kart, talk about doing things backwards lol. I don't race in a club, its about doing what I love most in something real, and the kart is fairly cheap to run & maintain and a heap of fun. But it's seasonal unlike our virtual hobby which is available anytime, rain, hail or shine.

I guess I love and participate in virtual racing because it's affordable for me, and satisfies my desire (childhood dreams) to be a race driver. And we have so much variety on tap these days, it's a sim racers heaven.

Always liked racing games. I was always interested in racing cars, race circuits and the technology and what goes into the driving. Feeling the car on the limit, getting the perfect rotation into the corner and getting the power just right when coming out. Repeat 10000 times and it is still fun. I've been sim racing for a long time so at different times the reasons why I simrace have been little different. Early on I just liked to drive and there was nothing more to it. Tried every new game or sim that came out. Always looking for something better while still trying to enjoy what I had. Liked playing with computers as well.

But early on it was just the pure driving. Not even racing, just hotlapping in the early racing games. Grand prix circuit at my friend's house was my first and even though it was very basic it was still one of the best things available with test drive 2 and with its supercars. Especially the theme music from gp circuit has forever etched into my mind. Mainly played console games at first though because we didn't have a pc home and tried to find good racing games. I think about 90% of all my games were racing games. Played the early gran turismo games. 1 and 2. Loved the car tuning aspects and believable physics. Played some splitscreen games with my friends with both of us using our favourite cars.

Then came other games until I tried gpl. Pretty much everybody says gpl was difficult but for me it was just amazing. The cars can slide and it doesn't always lead into a spin! So I just drove mostly alone hotlapping. Doing some laps, downloading tracks and occasionally racing against the ai. Dreaming about some day learning the 'ring and where the corners go. Learned some basics about how to adjust the setup. Tried all the isi games but did not like how the slip angle was modelled in those games at the time. So I just closet hotlapped gpl. I did download the gpl track editor at one point and tried to make my own circuit but never really got into it. I think I have the data still somewhere on my hd for it.

Then live for speed s2 was released. I was not a fan of S1 but S2 was a major step in the physics which has always been important for me. S2 also introduced me to online racing. Had lots of fun racing against people. A some point I started to make my own skins which is still fun. Back in the day it was just jpeg files. Now it takes multiple dds files to create what I want but skinning is still great fun. I did participate in some lfs skinning competitions and I did well I think. Also had my first league experience. It was fun although I still to t his day prefer pickup racing more with good fair racers. I don't like timetables and scheduling my racing.

Then nkpro came out... kinda. Did not like the early version so much but the 1.1 and onwards it was just amazing. Online was kinda silent but when you had people on the server it was great fun. Good physics even though the game clearly had issues. Tried some sound editing when the daytona coupe style car came out. Released my own sound mod for it. Iirc it was wav files from one of the historix cars (I asked and was given permission) and my own ini files

Played some rf1 because niels was doing his magic and he really got a lot out of the engine. Previously I had had kinda low opinion about all isi engined sims but niels proved that the physics engine is great if you use good data. Downloaded historix mod and loved fell in love with historic race cars. Earlier it was all about gt cars. But there really isn't anything better than lots of power, big slicks with mediocre grip and primitive aerodynamics. Then bobstrackbuilder came out and I made and released my own fictional track for rf1 (horsma raceway). I had always dreamed of making my own track but did not want to learn 3d modelling so I was kinda stuck until btb came out. Loved that software, worth every penny.

Tried some console racing as well. At this point though it was all about physics and multiplayer for me. Forza had kinda laggy steering and the online was pure wreckfest. I did not really care much about the career mode even though forza's was imho 100 better than gt5's. But gt5 online was great fun and I had lots of good races. I still mainly played pc sims but it was nice to be able to drive on laser scanned nordschleife and put effort into finally learning that track and try beating real life lap records.

Played some iracing too but I kind quickly noticed scheduled racing is not my thing. I want to join to a server and just race for couple of hours doing multiple races instead of hope there is one scdule race happening that I can do within the free time I have.

Then came assetto corsa. It was great racing game and one day I decided I want to try this modding thing. But knowing that trying to find an interesting car and making physics for it is meaningless unless you find someone to make a model for you. But modellers are rare and generally want to choose their own models. So why not learn modelling I thought. Can't be that hard. Downloaded blender and tried to learn by doing. Failed horribly. Then went to youtube and watched some tutorials and suddenly it looked really easy. It did not take that much time to get basic cube like car into ac and it all kinda went out of control from there :D. And it is not difficult although it helps if you already know how to make textures. Got my mod released with help from others. Modding for ac is easy because there are great tools from the devs and good amount of documentation. The community was also very active and extremely helpful. Then kunos decided to kill it so I took my stuff and moved to rf2.

Huge change. Whereas the physics files in ac are easy to understand and really well documented the rf2 files are the total opposite. The documentation is just plain horrible. In ac it took just hours to get my first model from blender to ac without knowing really anything at all about the whole process and make it drivable.. it took a week or more in rf2 just to export the car that kinda looked like a car even when I knew what I was doing and had good help and lots of stuff ready to go.

Nowadays I don't really drive much anymore. I don't even remember the last time I raced online. Mostly I do modelling or texturing and that's it. It is great way to spend time and there is always more to learn. Sometimes you get little burned out with sim racing and go do other things and for me modelling and texturing is the thing I mostly enjoy doing nowadays. It is kinda crazy I nowadays enjoy modelling cars for sims at hobbyist level when for a long time I thought I could never do it.

Funny enough, Ive been active in sim racing since the very beginning, Right from my atari 2600, through my C64 to my Amiga, then onto the Windows platform (while also owning every playstation and xbox, and a master system, a megadrive (genisis) master system,an N64 and a few portables), Ive spent nearly 40 years gaming and my main focus has always been on racing games in one form or another. I havent played every car game, but Ive played a lot of them.

Not a great fan of real world car racing. Havent any real interest in cars outside of my sims, Noit familier with most race series or tracks untill I get to play them in a game.

All great stories, so I'll keep mine short. Love of cars, love of motorsports and love of technology. Where else can you combine all three at once?
I also have a love of flying, so I built a full size simulator to ease that passion. I can't afford any of this stuff in real life, so simulation is the logical solution. And the rapid pace of technology these days has made it an exciting time to be alive.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Ron and I am a racing addict.

I grew up near Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) and got to see my heroes, many in person. I wanted to do what they did and eventually got into kart racing before $$, girls and $$ then baby, house and more $$ got in the way. What was I to do? I was after all, an addict! Matchbox, Hot Wheels, racing cards; I bought them all. But still I craved more. I needed competition, I needed my racing fix. I played sports but it still wasn't enough......
...Until Sports Car GT. It was 1999 I believe and suddenly I had my car fix, my competition fix. Oh sure there had been Sega and other consoles but SPGT was the start. It wasn't on-line racing so to compete we submitted our race to the organizer who declared a winner. A brash and quick kid said his dad had a race team, PTG and his name was Tommy and he was going to race real BMWs one day. Tommy Milner, did that and more but for me I had no such financial help so sim racing has been my world.
I don't do much on-line as I have a wonky job when it comes to a set schedule but I love the challenge, love that I can drive virtually any car and love that the sim developers have improved each time around.
Only a handful of drivers get to travel the world in different disciplines. F1, GT, Touring, Prototype and the reality is that this past time that racers scoffed at even a few years ago, is not only a part of their race preparation but damned good fun. I've driven every dream track and every dream car I've ever dreamed about. I'll never be a hero like Jackie Stewart was to me or have the skill and flair of a Gilles Villeneuve but when I get behind my wheel, I can transport myself to, well anywhere.

Thank you to all of you for coming along for the ride too.

I personally started Sim Racing when I viewed a Demo of 'Need for Speed - Shift' on You Tube (I know, don't hold it against me...lol)..and thought the graphics were amazing and because I own my own Business in the Visual Communication area...errr...Signwriter, graphics, image quality, artistic composition, colour play etc etc all play a part of the final look, feel of what is trying to be communicated back to the viewer or potential customer....I liken this to the artists in Sim development companies who also possibly strive for the perfect look, feel and sound of their creations, whether track or vehicles and spend weeks, months, years of dedication to bring their creations to reality so I, the potential client, can immerse ones self in a dream world, a visual feast if you like of their creations, one of which I personally will never experience for real....so I have the utmost respect for the Sim Artists who give their time, hone their skills to bring these artistic creations to reality so I can enjoy Sim Racing as part of my life.

P.S. ...as well as all the Sim hardware developers and manufacturers to...oh, yeah...lol

I like cars and games about cars, not much of an essay to write here...

Though I'd like to add that my country doesn't exactly have a thing for motorsports much so sim racing is pretty much my only gateway to motorsports. Besides, owning a go-kart might be too much of a financial stretch anyway...

For me sim racing has a number of elements that i enjoy, the two biggest being the thrill of online racing and the concentration required to attempt the perfect lap.

Specifically online racing against other humans can be stressful, exciting and very rewarding. Chatting to others online can be a social event even watching replays of my races and looking at what i could have done better I approach as a learning experience.
When racing its the thrill of competition that i enjoy.

When i have not done enough track time or don't feel like a race I just practicing which can be very therapeutic. I study the best laps and what others are doing and what I'm not doing, i study replays, i read racing technique books, i try to take in everything i can to make my laps quicker all in the search of a perfect lap, then repeat those perfect laps for consistency. Its during this time that any problems or stress out side of the sim are forgotten, the level of concentration required to take part in our sport requires that i forget about real life and just drive. When practicing i find a zen like level of concentration, after a few laps all the crap of the real world means nothing, only thing that matters is being the quickest.

Last edited:
I can only agree with @Paul Jeffrey when he mentioned what a beautiful year we spent in the same car when we practiced together day after day, when he @Enzo Fazzi @Ed Trevelyan-Johnson and me had jokes during long 12 hours races, how we were happy after our first win in rainy Interlagos, how we were "friendly" and "supportive" to teammate who made a mistake which costed us 786 sec of damage repair ... and I clearly remember how I sent poor Paul on the drying Fuji track with medium tires ... 20 laps to early for any sort of tires for dry track :D.

You will see a lot of this in the movie, but to be part of it is just something you need to experience.

Well for me sim racing is all about enjoying the racing and the company you have while doing it, as being a hobby I pursue being sure to have fun with it and keep the passion alive is the key thing to me.

It's so easy to lose yourself in the results and the seriousness of it all (especially at league racing level) that sometimes I think the core enjoyment of this hobby we invest our time in gets lost and forgotten. I know I've fallen foul of that numerous times in the past, but I think with time I'm getting much better at just enjoying the experience, even if it all goes wrong and a bad result occurs.

My stance on the whole 'which sim is better' thing is pretty simple really. Right now we have the most vibrant and competitive sim racing market that we've ever seen, because of this the quality of the games we're seeing is very high indeed, with games being constantly updated and new content being added all the time. I find that if you just enjoy racing the fantastic sims we have available now and put aside the whole 'best sim' argument it makes the experience so much more rewarding and easier to have fun with.

Afterall, in the end it doesn't really matter if this game has better physics or that game has better graphics to you, because your experience is your own one that will no doubt differ from other peoples. The main thing I've found is to just make sure you enjoy the racing you do and have a good group of people around you who enjoy it just as much as you do :)

Surprised no one's posted Jimmy Broadbent's video yet:

For me, my dad and my grandad were car mechanics, we shared a yard with a lot of ex Team Lotus guys who were still building race car replicas so I was always going to be a petrol head.

Messed about on 2 wheels for a while but wasn't much good, I'm far too tall to be a race driver so when I discovered GP2 and GPL it was the perfect solution.

For me the enjoyment starts off from being a fan of motor sport, from a very young age my old man used to take me banger racing (UK short oval/grass track) and to Brands Hatch, ever since then I wanted to have a wheel in my hands. Unfortunately I never had the chance to drive a proper go-kart or ministox and pursue my dream so Sim Racing has become a way of living out those dreams to some extent.

Fast forward to today and I'm able to live out those dreams in ways I could of never imagined, mainly thanks to VR I'm able to actually sit in a boyhood favourite Ferrari F40 at Spa-Franchorchamps and actually "Drive" this car around a real race track as though I am actually there.
That's one part of why I do it, the other is the thrill of the race & driving the car itself; keeping the car on the limit across the top of the Mountain at Bathurst knowing I'm millimeters from crashing, going side by side through The Chase flat out before putting everything into the brakes to make the next turn, feeling everything through the FFB to alert me to a bit of under or over steer...it's the thrill of being able to do this as though it's real, as though I am actually there doing it in front of a massive crowd & TV audience.

With the newly added VR immersion all that has become like a drug recently, I simply HAVE to go for a drive every day, if I don't I get itchy feet just thinking about it. Doesn't matter what I drive either, it can be a lazy Sunday Mustang drive around Black Cat County or a full on race at Brands Indy in the WTCC.

So to sum up, why do I enjoy Sim Racing? It's the Thrill, the Feel and the Immersion of living out those boyhood dreams.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back