Have Your Say: What Would You Like to See in rFactor 2?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 DX11 3.jpg

It's that time again where we ask you the community to give some feedback, this time with regards to the development future of rFactor 2.

In an open letter to Studio 397, the new development team behind the rFactor 2 simulation software, we have a think about how we would like to see the sim develop going forward, and ask you the community to offer up some (constructive) suggestions regarding what you would like to see happen with the software in the future.

We already know Studio 397 have plans to bring out improved graphics and upgrade to DX11 from it's current rather dated DX9 routes, plus we know virtual reality support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive is around the corner too. With an all new and much improved UI due to complement these new features, plus something described as "streamlined" content, already Studio 397 are talking a good fight with their plans for a racing simulation that is no doubt one of the most technically competent pieces of software on the market today.

Firstly let's have a look at what the current rFactor 2 does well.

Real Road. This is basically a dynamic track surface that simulates the behaviour of a real racing surface during a race weekend. So we have dynamic rubber build up and wet and dry lines in rain conditions, basically bringing the track to life during the session.

Dynamic weather cycle. This can be pre set for different weather conditions and also plugged in to real world weather at a given location. So if it's raining at the real track it's raining in game too.

Full time of day cycle. Low and behold something that seems to be all too rare in a race sim. Race in the day, race at night. Have it change over time depending on the time of day in game. A must have feature for any racing sim in my opinion.

Driver swop. You can share your car with either the AI or other real people during longer races if you so wish, ideal for multiplayer events. Driver swops carry over tyre wear and damage (if not repaired in the pits).

Advanced tyre model. One of the best in the business although allegedly quite complicated for modders to fully utilise. Features things like flat spots, wear, heat cycles etc.

Moddability. This is a double edged sword. Moddability is great and something that made the original title so very popular for a very long time. For some reason with rF2 the modding scene around the simulation has never quite reached those pervious rF1 heights, but seems to be slowly gathering momentum.

So with a newly motivated development team working behind the scenes and an already exceptionally strong base position, what do you think the developers need to do in order to lift this title ahead of it's admittedly strong sim racing competition? What do you think S397 should concentrate on in the short, medium and long term to help give rFactor 2 the push it needs to recapture the gaming public imagination?

Personally I would like to see further refinements to the weather simulation within the game, small details like windscreen wipers on all the cars, rain drop build up on the windscreens, puddle formations on track and aquaplaning. Basically a complete overhaul of the way rFactor 2 simulates wet weather within the sim, with the exception of the Real Road dry line formation, which for me is an outstanding feature and well implemented already.

Additionally I would like to see a considerably expanded archive of support materials for modding teams and individuals. I firmly believe a certain level of success can easily be achieved by Studio 397 if they work towards building up the first party content in the sim, bringing together the cars already released into cohesive full series (no more single cars from a championship) and adding new and interesting full championship packs. Much like the original rFactor sim and to a lesser extent Assetto Corsa, mod releases are the key to keeping a sim fresh and active long after the game has been released. Quality scratch made mod releases are slowly picking up pace in recent months, however it looks like Kunos and Assetto have taken a bit of a lead in this area since AC released and for me it is critical that Studio 397 act quickly to make up for lost time. Better and more documentation, bulk materials such as tyre sets people can use for their mods, studio sanctioned support and other things would be welcomed greatly I feel.

I could go one forever with things I would love to see, however this is not the point of this article. What I want to know is what you guys in the community would like, your opinions on how the developers can bring rFactor 2 right up to speed with it's immediate rivals in the sim racing world.

I personally think rFactor 2 is one of the best in the business, but it's potential is so much more. Share with us your opinions about how this game can be moved forward to reach that potential!

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

rF2 IndyCar.jpg
rF2 NASCAR.jpg
rF2 Formula Renault 3.5.jpg

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown is no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Please have a think about what direction you would like the development of rFactor 2 to go, and what you would like to see added in future. All comments and suggestions gratefully received below!

Last edited:
The small steps:
  • Finish the drivetrain model.
  • Finish the weather, so rain & wipers work and wind is visible outside of DevMode.
  • Finish updating the existing car content (currently about 50% have not been updated).
  • Improve the Steam Workshop integration so it tells us what is updating, the size, & offer a chance to cancel.
  • Have pavement temperature affect the tires.
  • Multiplayer matchmaker needs to show name of mod being used, practice/qual/race status, and number of humans vs. AI.
  • Get the preannounced licensed car content out the door. It's okay to update their physics later if waiting for (more/better) data.
  • Some way to allow a guest to use the software so the display name can be temporarily changed when racing multiplayer.
The bigger steps:
  • Content: Race series, preferably multi-marque and/or multi-class with tracks, with a mix of current and classic/vintage. In existing content, there is a lack of official major tracks that can do double-duty between the various series.
  • Driver ratings for safety and ability with a way for multiplayer to use them. Ideally there should be a setting where one can screw around without damaging the rating.
  • Make use of multiple CPU cores.
  • Move modding tools to Blender and especially add the ability to export animations from Blender.
Edit: Hybrid features need to be added as hybrid cars are here to stay.

Last edited:
I want at least one feature and/or series that feels complete. A common buzzword that you hear with regards to rf2 is 'the most complete sim out there'. I could not disagree more. Literally nothing about this package feels finished and complete, no matter which way you slice it. You have lots of scattered pieces from every type of racing (oval, endurance, touring etc), but none of it is fleshed out or even finished more than 3 years from release.

Also, if I can run good graphics settings without a NASA machine under my desk, that would be a change.

AI - Continued progression in further improving the already good AI for both Road & Oval. Just because it is deemed one of if not the best AI in any current sim that shouldn't mean it takes a backseat, there is still plenty of room for improvement in lots of areas (mentioned on the official forums) so I hope focus is not lost in this area.

Weather - Long overdue refinements are needed, hopefully the DX11 backbone will provide better opportunities to improve this area. Oh...and a Random Option so we don't know what weather is coming!

Offline Championships - I know this is coming but my fear is it will be basic like AC currently, I'd like to see full support for Endurance/GT series with a proper class points system that is entirely configurable by the user. Plus all the usual bells and whistles that come with a championship tool.

Better Qualifying options in the UI - The plugin is good but a bit of a mess to deal with, a better option would be an easier UI implementation to better configure what the user wants (Top Ten Shootout, F1 style etc)

This. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

HistorX.. with a good tire model to suit, so that all cars are able to be driven and controlled, but still have that feeling and look.
With of course period tracks,

Fantasy tracks and cars.. let you imagination run wild. Let the fun return..
Driver names on windows if possible.

A easy replay system that can be used without the need for external applications to capture and edit it, with a one click button to upload to Youtube for example..

AI - Continued progression in further improving the already good AI for both Road & Oval. Just because it is deemed one of if not the best AI in any current sim that shouldn't mean it takes a backseat, there is still plenty of room for improvement in lots of areas (mentioned on the official forums) so I hope focus is not lost in this area.

Weather - Long overdue refinements are needed, hopefully the DX11 backbone will provide better opportunities to improve this area. Oh...and a Random Option so we don't know what weather is coming!

Offline Championships - I know this is coming but my fear is it will be basic like AC currently, I'd like to see full support for Endurance/GT series with a proper class points system that is entirely configurable by the user. Plus all the usual bells and whistles that come with a championship tool.

Better Qualifying options in the UI - The plugin is good but a bit of a mess to deal with, a better option would be an easier UI implementation to better configure what the user wants (Top Ten Shootout, F1 style etc)
This^^^^^

More official content with high quality, more accessible game for those who doesnt like being 40minutes configuring things like the wheel (something like AC would be ok), more high quality tracks, improve of fps, i can run project cars in high @60fps but rf2 just lag, and better ffb

Brighter lighting. Game seems so dark.

Better track textures. Compare AMS (or even SCE) Interlagos with rF2 Interlagos and its a shame how poor rF2 looks.

Season editor.

Better loading times. Go into PCars and load a 40-car grid at Le Mans, then go to rF2 and load 10 cars at Atlanta Motorsports Park...

-Only organized Online (championship and official race) IR style :D
-rF2 has the best potential for real race endurance it must bet on!! Must Have!
- Complete DLC series "IMSA, WEC, GT3, BTCC, etc..." (no single car like assetto)
-new Pit-Stop Management (visual, hud, etc..)
-Licence Tracks
-Update of old content
-Better Sounds!!!
-Management workshop categorie (tracks, car etc ..)

Last edited:
Logical user interface with some kind of built in help system so noobs don't have to quit the game and look on the internet to figure stuff out. And so that experienced users don't discover useful features after years of playing that are buried in text files or just in strange places like triple screen support on the tire screen.

Be great if car setup screens only showed the relevant stuff for the car you're driving, what the flip has fender flare got to do with a Brabham BT20? There goes your historic immersion along with the Renault Clio pace car :p

Maybe some beginner car setups, some of the defaults feel full on wild oversteer hotlap that force noobs to get the spanners out before they can get the car to stop or turn somewhat predictably.

Hopefully once the DX11 engine is finished they can go through and polish up the content and try to make rF2 a more cohesive product, and iron out some of the eccentricities.

At the moment a lot of simracers try rF2 and think what the heck is this? Those that stick with it and invest the time find that it can be a fantastic sim.

Paul Jeffrey I like the idea of an open letter for rF2 devs... but I think you should tag the ones here at RD or they will see it too late, lol...
There is also an official rF2 discord channel for who wants to share or follow the sim evolution.
And driver swap, not swop :p

I don't care about offline improvements as I never use them. Aside from some refinements to physics (hybrids I.e.) and environment simulation, it REALLY needs to be more stable.
I have to do a clean install every month or so to get the game stable. Plus the fact there are 1476268855 tweaks you have to do to make it work, let alone the knowledge of these tweaks is reserved to a minority of users who have direct contact with devs. It is 2017 and a current developed game can't be alt tabbed?

The game itself is very good already. It just needs to work more consistently.

More content without guesstimate physics would also be good.

Paul Jeffrey I like the idea of an open letter for rF2 devs... but I think you should tag the ones here at RD or they will see it too late, lol...
There is also an official rF2 discord channel for who wants to share or follow the sim evolution.
And driver swap, not swop :p
Since they've changed to 397 the devs have been very active gathering community feedback. An open letter would be more of a formal process as it stands currently.

• Deleted member 130869

- Previously announced licenses to actually be developed
- Existing content brought to same standards, missing tech to be develop to cater for them (hybrid or P2P)
- Fixing glitches reported by the community to existing content
(often ignored when releasing an update)
- Improved weather effects and wind and humidity having an actual impact (otherwise remove options for wind, temperature, humidity)
- Fix tire and suspension simulation
- Pitlane aspects
so it's not driving into a ghost town and hoping to park on the right spot
- Make tracks and environments be more lively and closer to real life. For the love of god, no more flat and dull terrain like ISI titles from 18 years ago. Everything looks rendered like an ocean of green or cement.
- Single-player gameplay aspects
- Pop-up text boxes for each garage page tuning option
- Present sliders and options in the game's menu instead of having users fiddling with .json files
- Game manual contained in the game with possible tutorials on hosting a server, creating vMods, etc
- Improve sound sample quality and mixing
- Engine sounds be louder to have an actual track-like experience and be easily heard from trackside cameras or when watching specific cars
- Release tracks actually used for racing with official cars, and a variety of it. Well made and as accurate as possible, not just buying existing meshes that are off
- Functional and more sleek HUDs
- Random weather like in the Grand Prix games series
- Improve modeling and texture quality of officially licensed cars, actually offer a full field of real or fantasy liveries
- Segregation of each RaceEvent on Steam workshop
- Official content in workshop split by category

Just a very quick thought off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see AC modders share their 3D models and tracks with rF2 phisycs gurus to see the same awesome content ported to rF2 too. I saw there are a lot of physics gurus on rF2 looking for cars and tracks to work but there is a lack of modellers on their side. I know everyone has a favourite SIM but if you can have your model shine on other platforms...why not?
Maybe a car/track contest for rF2 can help?

A way to provide missing non-standard content for drop-in races other than Steam, preferably directly from the server itself. This would make a big difference to drop-in racers when servers are using non-standard content and the number of racers participating.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years