Have Your Say: What is the Worst Sim Car You Have Ever Driven?

Escludendo Rally Dirt, tutto lo sporco 2-3 ecc, Colin McRae Rally, F1 2010 - 2012-2015 iRacing.
When God gave the passion for football, I was on the track.

The Super V8's on Automobilista are just designed to murder you too. The rear of the car is far too loose for my liking under power and braking. Actually, every car on AMS can go on here. Automobilista - the No-grip-on-the-rear-axle-under-braking simulator.

Also, every car on F1 2014

Sorry, but that's your fault. First you have to set the grip at least to medium or heavy to have similar grip like in AC. Than you have to throttle blip (not only) the Super V8 while downshifting to stabilize the rear. And third: the default setup kind of sucks. Try my setup and you maybe start loving this car like i do:inlove:

My worst sim-cars are all cars in F1 2015 and 2016 when driving without assists. Huge dead zones with my HE pedals (initial 30% is dead) and the handling doesn't make sense for me. The throttle mapping is way to aggressive for driving without TC.

I dont know about sims, but back in the days when one of my idol drivers some Mika Häkkinen started to get success finally. I played former games until the disks went broke (95/97), so i was waiting this like the raising sun. F1-'98. Oh lord was i disappointed... :( Thats have been haunting me since, why they did have to ruin the series just then? Driving in that game... I cannot describe how it was, just total sh.. Still mad about it...:mad:
I agree, F1 98 was huge disappointment after F1 97. F1 99 was bad also!!

I found it impossible to tame and blamed my driving skills, thinking to myself: "Maybe it's realistic because, IRL, there's little chance I could drive fast enough to even keep the brake and tires at proper operating temp on an F1 car".

What are your thoughts?
The lack of ERS is hurting this car's handling, but still it feels sloppy, understeery in slow corners and weirdly unstable in high speed corners (snap oversteer).

It's been a while since I played iRacing, but there were some cars on that that simply weren't correct. Back in the day, the HPD LMP2 car was backwards. It acted like a front wheel drive car, where accelerating caused understeer, and lifting off the throttle caused it to swap ends. It was completely backwards, but you could never post about it on iRacing without getting killed. The original CoT they did on iRacing felt a bit weird too. The Spec Racer Ford was clearly broken an undriveable on day 1, and as usual it was defended by the iRacing hardcore as being the most realistic thing known to man. Turns out it was broken, and patched too.

The Daytona Prototype (the Riley) was so wrong that I actually did well in it. I'm by no means skilled, but whenever I raced the DP I ended up miles ahead of drivers who were better than me in every other car. Because of that I managed to qualify for the original World Championship or whatever it was killed. The car was wrong, but just happened to fit my poor driving style perfectly. I was beating aliens in that thing back in the day - drivers who lapped me in every other car.

I stopped playing iRacing after the second coming of Jesus that was the new tyre model. It turned iRacing into a game that took the attitude of hard is realistic. When the NTM was released it made cars difficult to drive at normal highway speed, which was proof that something was wrong.

For non-iRacing based cars, on the Xbox One version of DiRT Rally I find the Peugeot 205 Group B almost impossible to drive with a joypad. Other cars are fine, but that one seems impossible with digital controls.

Last edited:
The lack of ERS is hurting this car's handling, but still it feels sloppy, understeery in slow corners and weirdly unstable in high speed corners (snap oversteer).

That's interesting. So, are you saying that the lack of ERS is causing a lack of sufficient engine braking, and this in turn is making the handling unpredictable?

That seems odd, since engine braking is generally considered a nuisance, so drivers have to compromise between increased energy recovery (with more engine braking) vs less energy recovery (with better, more predictable off-throttle handling).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Wouldn't the lack of ERS improve handling, at the cost of energy recovery?

Super Trucks in AMS but it's because I have no skills for that
Lancer Cup (not the rally) car in AMS because they are just boring as hell
Probably any fast open wheel car in any sim, I can even hot lap with them but going side by side online gets so hard, and how things go way too fast it gets a bit boring after a while I mean.. with slower cars you try something different here and there, with something like F1 you are going so fast there isn't much space for different stuff (at least for my skills) you need to be very robotic

I found it impossible to tame and blamed my driving skills, thinking to myself: "Maybe it's realistic because, IRL, there's little chance I could drive fast enough to even keep the brake and tires at proper operating temp on an F1 car".
Formula Extreme is IMO more easy to control than this crap in F1 2016 without assists and the V12 in AMS is a bit more skittish by the way. But it's both "just" throttle control and use the throttle in correlation with your wheel angle while accelerating. Only full throttle with the wheel in the center-position and maybe half with 30° and so on. Upshifting a gear before accelerating out of a corner can help and when the car starts spinning, pushing the breaks immediately while keeping the throttle is more effective to recover spins than some counter-steer action which never works.

Actually, every car on AMS can go on here.

Full hate on AMS..? I could try defending why I disagree with you, or even ask you to defend your opinion but since your part of the staff here in rd, I rather give you the choice of someone that you know and will be more credible in "sim" world, Atze Kerkhof uses automobilista for his own personal project at Adreline Control's, with phycis from Heusinkveld.

For the main threat, and only couting the official cars that I have drive, I would say mazda mx-5 in iracing, atleast until two years ago, I did a full seasson with the mazda in iracing, even with race wins and other good results and I'm sure I was a worst a driver when I finnish the seasson, but I guess that back then iracing was a bit of a sluggish simulator... was more into the arcade, because I start driving like that, and that brought me better results... Nowdays I don't know how iracing have progress because I never played again, but from some reviews, I guess that most be better.

Formula Extreme is IMO more easy to control than this crap in F1 2016 without assists ... Only full throttle with the wheel in the center-position and maybe half with 30° and so on.

I really think that something that makes some formula 1 cars in ams very hard to control, is the default steering look, in real life they use like 14/16 lock with +/- 380º, and in circuits like monaco they go up to 20 of lock and up to +/-430º. In the game the f-extreme comes with 360º and 18 of lock, thats enought for cars that are very sensative with combine throttle and steering imputs to make them harder drive in a consistente way.

The worst I've spent a decent number of races in was the iRacing NC Miata, in probably 2014 or so. Absolutely no leeway for oversteer and you had to drive it right on the edge of traction to be competitive. So every single race the first fast corner would have people washing out left and right.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%